1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Déjà Vu? Does Life Imitate Films Or Vice Versa?

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by satchitananda, Apr 9, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Second thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2019
    Cheeniya and kaniths like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Oscar Wilde's first thoughts (on Life imitates Art) are here in this link:
    Oscar Wilde: The Decay of Lying

Here is a sample excerpt (first couple of paragraphs).... that could remind us of the dialogue stories of @Novalis .

A DIALOGUE.
    Persons: Cyril and Vivian.
    Scene: the library of a country house in Nottinghamshire.​

CYRIL (coming in through the open window from the terrace). My dear Vivian, don't coop yourself up all day in the library. It is a perfectly lovely afternoon. The air is exquisite. There is a mist upon the woods like the purple bloom upon a plum. Let us go and lie on the grass, and smoke cigarettes, and enjoy Nature.

VIVIAN. Enjoy Nature! I am glad to say that I have entirely lost that faculty. People tell us that Art makes us love Nature more than we loved her before; that it reveals her secrets to us; and that after a careful study of Corot and Constable we see things in her that had escaped our observation. My own experience is that the more we study Art, the less we care for Nature. What Art really reveals to us is Nature's lack of design, her curious crudities, her extraordinary monotony, her absolutely unfinished condition. Nature has good intentions, of course, but, as Aristotle once said, she cannot carry them out. When I look at a landscape I cannot help seeing all its defects. It is fortunate for us, however, that Nature is so imperfect, as otherwise we should have had no art at all. Art is our spirited protest, our gallant attempt to teach Nature her proper place. As for the infinite variety of Nature, that is a pure myth. It is not to be found in Nature herself. It resides in the imagination, or fancy, or cultivated blindness of the man who looks at her.

CYRIL. Well, you need not look at the landscape. You can lie on the grass and smoke and talk.

VIVIAN. But Nature is so uncomfortable. Grass is hard and dumpy and damp, and full of dreadful black insects. Why, even Morris' poorest workman could make you a more comfortable seat than the whole of Nature can. Nature pales before the furniture of "the street which from Oxford has borrowed its name," as the poet you love so much once vilely phrased it. I don't complain. If Nature had been comfortable, mankind would never have invented architecture, and I prefer houses to the open air. In a house we all feel of the proper proportions. Everything is subordinated to us, fashioned for our use and our pleasure. Egotism itself, which is so necessary to a proper sense of human dignity' is entirely the result of indoor life. Out of doors one becomes abstract and impersonal. One's individuality absolutely leaves one. And then.....

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    shyamala1234 and Cheeniya like this.
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Hm, yeah, Deja Vu makes us wonder and think sometimes. :wink1:

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]
    That is Yogi Berra (2007 photo) One of the famous Yogi'isms is the quote
    "It's déjà vu all over again."<source:wikipedia>​
    The other notable yogi'isms:
    • "90 percent of baseball is mental; the other half is physical."
    • On why he no longer went to Rigazzi's, a St. Louis restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
    • "It ain't over till it's over." In July 1973, Berra's Mets trailed the Chicago Cubs by 9½ games in the National League East. The Mets rallied to clinch the division title in their second-to-last game of the regular season, and eventually reach the World Series.
    • When giving directions to Joe Garagiola Sr. to his New Jersey home, which was accessible by two routes: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
    • At Yogi Berra Day at Sportsman Park in St. Louis: "Thank you for making this day necessary."
    • "You can observe a lot by watching."
    • "Always go to other people's funerals; otherwise they won't go to yours."
    • "I really didn't say everything I said."
    • "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore"
    • "If you can't imitate him, don't copy him."

satchitananda likes this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda
    If you are wondering what the heck happened here, or why I had sent an invite to @Novalis in my post #2, let me....
    OP-deletes are like "NO balls". Those who respond get "Free Hits". They may choose the topic they want and hit it any which way they please.

satchitananda and Afresh like this.
  6. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Now ; whats this about ?? wondering:confundio1::confundio1:

satchitananda and Cheeniya like this.
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Does Art imitate Life ? or
    Does Life imitate Art ?
    Was an old pair of questions we had wondered about.

The thread title is asking a variation of the same:
    • Do movies imitate life, i.e., borrow stories from life, adapt and make a big deal out of something, for a profit ? Or
    • Do desi's learn stuff from movies, and adapt them to their real life goings-on and make a big drama about it in their own lives, and make a mess of things ?

Andy Warhol (a US painter) is supposed to have coined the notion "Art imitating Life imitating Art" through all the things he painted. That is, things go in cycles, and we wouldn't know what is the original and what is an imitation. Software people among us know that such cycles are to be avoided in writing code.

That is where you are. Ask yourself if your own life has been dramatized in some B(K/T)-ollywood movie. Even partly. And post what/where/how.

satchitananda likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oh I have so much to say but 'on second thoughts' I will keep mum. I am able to communicate better through my silence.

Afresh, satchitananda and Amulet like this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

:blush:This is like a "spouse in a spat" who says:
    "I am not talking to you... d'you hear me?"

satchitananda and Cheeniya like this.
  10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

At an advanced age, silence is a better tool than talking. I have gained so much through my silence. ( Incidentally I prefer silence because no one listens to me when I talk)
    Before the Big Bang everything was silent and peaceful but look at the chaos caused by all the cacophony.

SunPa and satchitananda like this.