Cynophobia

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by jskls, Jul 14, 2016.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

GG, consider this as some form of extreme fear. As long as they are on leash or I am free to move around or when I am aware that I am going to be in the vicinity of dog then it is different. I will be mentally prepared. But when it is a sudden encounter, I don't scream but go into panic mode. No words, extreme fear with shivers and tears. It is that moment when fear turns into Phobia.

If the dog got frightened shouldn't it move away instead of coming closer? Don't know what their fear would be called maybe you can coin a new term. BTW isn't there a single thing you are frightened of? Consider this something like that.

GoogleGlass likes this.
  2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

@Sairindhri, thanks for the link. Will go through that. I have tried to pet her, or tried to cross where she sits but with a sudden unexpected visit, I panicked and reacted in an embarrassing way! :facepalm:

And above all, I worship two gods who have dogs as their Vahanas :facepalm:

Sairindhri likes this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

@momsky, I too don't think I can ever get over the fear of dogs.

momsky likes this.
  4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya sir, At last I am not alone! I thought it was a girl thing. So sorry to hear that you got bit by dog on your nose. It must be scary. Even here I have seen dogs letting their face out enjoying even cold air. They don't let children to sit on parents lap when in driver seat but have seen dog on driver's lap. They are like more than children for them. Funny to read about the stray dog chase.

I have assured my kids that I will not visit them when they get their pet dogs later in life.

As a baby was bit by one, got 14 injections for that and had a dog pounce n me once that was so huge and now there sits one at my work. I have to face her every single day. Had a very embarrassing moment and that is when I decided that I have to do something about it. Can't let my fear take over

5. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

i understand your pain/fear. me so far haven't faced such a thing, so no comments.

jskls likes this.
  6. Sairindhri

Sairindhri Gold IL'ite

Then don't worry Bairavar will help you.

kaniths and jskls like this.
  7. Arushi1990

Arushi1990 New IL'ite

The problem is in the U.S, people bring them in stores and restaurants and it okay if they are service dogs. When I was in line at Safeway paying for groceries, a woman with a large dog came right behind me. I ran away from the dog and left my groceries at the checkout and told them to forget about them. I'll come back later The cashier got mad and everyone at the store laughed at me. How do you avoid dogs in stores? Americans don't understand our fear. Even if they are service dogs, they can still bite.

jskls likes this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I am totally with you on this. Pets are like children to them. So they bring them everywhere and it is so unfortunate that some of us cant get over the fear

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Cheeniya sir,

reading this @jskls was sweet to say "sorry you got bitten" while all I did was laugh my head off, not at you getting bitten but at your connection with a dog in the car window to blowing in the face!
    Now, @jskls, seriously you should put your fears behind and I know that is what you are asking us! First thing I tell you I am somewhat irritated with dogs in the US - they are not as ferocious or protective of owners as we find in India. My Toby will go and surrender to anyone who comes with a treat or what seems like a treat in his hand. And if you walk in with a dog smell ie., if you are a og owner yourself or if you have just pet another dog, all he is interested in smelling the other dog out. He will not care even if you are robbing my house. Don't get me wrong, he absolutely adores us, misses us and won't eat food when we leave him with others. There that is dogs here for you. Dogs have a wonderful sense of smell and that is not limited to food - I never believed it till Toby came home and so all you have to do is use that breathing technique and calm yourself down an remember the dogs would rather know you than bite you! It is true.

On a funny note, last year I visited my cousin in India who had some humungous big breed of a dog and all I had heard about him was how scary he is and how a policeman comes to train him, how he chases people away from their compound, how fearful of him everyone is etc. and this not just from her but everyone in the family - everyone asks for him to be in the dog house before they enter the house. So in spite of being a dog lover, I had this sense of a monster in my head. Anyways I go, dog is inside, I breath easy and next morning I wake up to explore her beautiful garden after the assurance that the fellow is inside tied up. I go out and with in a minute this guy is in front me with paws on shoulders. I scream "R...help me what should I do" and she shouts back from the kitchen "I really don't know. I am more scared of him than you." She is the owner for crying out loud and this is her second dog! And I was left petrified for a good 5 mins till my cousins son came out and took him away. This year I visited them again and the dog was begging to be spoken to and just as I put my hand forward to let him smell me through the gate, my cousins reaction was "No! He will bite you!" and I was left wondering, "really"?

So the bottom line, try to breath in and out and let the dog smell you and if that doesn't help, come stay with us and after meeting Toby, you will not be scared of any other dog - he does look big/black and scary but such a softie. You should see him whimper and settle down as soon as he sees a baby. I have no idea how he knows that he cannot get jumpy with babies or kids. And once he knows you, he will not forget! Then you have at least one dog for a friend, what say?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    jskls and Cheeniya like this.
  10. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Me too want to know.I dread going to IL place and my aunty place just because of their dogs.

jskls likes this.