1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

cutlery or hand?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Huma, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi Suba
    thank u for the reply, i reckon i check also the cutlery given by the restaurant which sometime doesn't seem clean to me but i take plastic one.

love
    Huma

2. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi Sindhu

What kind of allergy did u have?
    bye

3. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi Sylvia

i agree with you when u said table manners are important and i have one question for you, i eat sometimes in a cafe and when i finished i put my plate on the shelves but the restaurant hire somebody to do this kind of job so do u think it's better to leave the plate on the table and walk away?

and a big thanks for ur replies Jithiks, Santesekar, Ramyanand, Meeta, Sasirekha, Pushpabp,

4. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Huma....

nice topic ......i do as per condition but really i cant manage pizza with any cutlery i have to use my hands ......but generally i try to use cutlery in restaurants .....at home we never use spoon, fork unless it is required .........
    u changed ur avatar...this looks gud

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    nice topic. I have been only in India so far and so eating with my hands every where is the done thing naturally. Our fingers have such good motor movements that we can eat even liquids like payasam etc. with our hands from a plantain leaf. We do most of the work (while cooking) with our hands only. Just rermember the curd rice or such thing mixed by your mother with her hands, you can feel her love in that.
    I wonder, when people from abroad come over to India, they never bother to be like us- they wear only what they feel comfortable (many wear skimpy clothes mostly due to the heat) and make a fuss about the food ( many eat only chocolates or such packed items forfear of getting infected), why do we Indians want to be like them when we are there? Now that the world knows about India and its ways, we must stick on to the good habits we are used to.
    What do you all say?

6. tulip

tulip New IL'ite

Hi Varalo,
    Very well write-up.
    I also thiks in same way.
    Tulip

7. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Nice topic.
    I start this post on a lighter note.
    I found this while browsing the net.
    Mr.Iyer had gone to the US of A as part of a delegation.
    On the luncheon, he had to sit next to a blonde woman.
    As she noticed with disgust that Mr.Iyer started eating with his hands, she couldn’t help it and blurted out against his eating with hands.
    She remarked, “How dirty and unhygienic of you to eat with your hands!”
    Mr.Iyer was ready.
    He retorted, “Madam. My hands go into my mouth only. Do you have any idea how many mouths your spoon had got into?”
    Jokes apart, it all depends on the type of food one is eating.
    Indian food mostly requires eating with hand. I prefer to use my hands only. My kids also only hands only. But at restaurants and at some parties, according to the selection of menu sometimes we are forced to use cutlery. Most Indian food doesn’t need any cutlery. But all of should know the dining manners and adapt to the situation, unlike Mr.Iyer!
    Cheers,
    Lakshmi

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  8. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,
    its nice to use our fingers to eat ,i like to eat with my fingers I feel that Indian food taste good when we eat with our fingers but obviously it depends on what kind of food one eats. coz we can't eat noodles , or pasta with our hands that too in any restaurant or party it will look so awful.

9. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

Good thread... i feel indian food is best eaten with hands. Here in Malaysia we can use our hands no problem..cuz here lots of indians tht tooo tamils are thr.Also lots of indian restuarants too. Even malay people whn they eat rice and all they use thr hands..chinese people will only use chopsticks. I use hands most of the time.. but whn i go to some high-class restaurants we hav to use cutlery.. i find it no issue. But whn we r in an indian place with lots of indian around us.. i feel pity to those peiple trying to eat idly with fork and spoon. :)

10. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

I have eczema. Sometimes the spice or tamarind in the food (Indian) irritates my skin. So even at home, I eat with spoon when my skin becomes sensitive.

Sindhu