1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cut,copy,paste!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

Thank you for your taking some precious time off your busy schedule in giving an elaborate FB to my write up here. If you notice the successful performers who give maximum number of concerts, during Margazhi festivals, you can find that behind their success, stands a musical family ingrained in music. Most of them have either their parents, uncles and aunts to tutor them right from the age of six or seven, which has helped them to reach the lofty levels they are now. Constant listening to musical stalwarts, practice and immediate corrections done when mistakes are committed by the singer helps the singer to reach higher levels. With many of the modern gurus being under non stop world tour, I wonder how many students are privileged to get their undivided attention either through Skype, online or offline classes.

These reality shows has put enormous burden on young kids to show off their talents, in a highly competitive system, affecting them psychologically to a great extent. It is the parents who need some counselling and not the kids.

S. Balachander was one such film director who was in awe of English movies, that he constantly churned out murder mysteries following the style of Alfred Hitchcock. Some of them were successful but many bit the dust. Many famous directors Like CV Sridhar, KBalachander were serious movie buffs and would constantly incorporate the new techniques in their films. We could enjoy their movies because of their creativity and no absolute copying.

Yes, everybody here in Chennai knows about the old man Alwar’s old book shop in Mylapore, which sometimes back was in the news, that it was encroachment of the pavement and had to be removed.

Agatha83

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear kkrish,

Sanjay had his grand aunt Rukmini Rajagopalan as his guru for a long period which laid a solid foundation for his musical journey. Jayanthi kumaresh had her aunt Padmavathi Ananthgopalan, a renowned Veena artist as her constant mentor. Not all of us are privileged to have such constant and undivided attention under which we can groom our musical abilities. I am happy that the new generation has taken upon Carnatic music seriously, that too living under the influence of western culture. My best wishes and blessings to all the newcomers to the Carnatic world.

Agatha83

kkrish likes this.
  3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

School marks count a lot when it comes to getting in to colleges and going for higher studies. But when it comes to competing at an international level, its your originality which wins hands down. Copy cats have no place there. It is true that most of the schools insist in learning by rote, rather than using your grey cells, which in the long run, robs off whatever creativity is left.

Agatha83

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Yes ma'am
    That could be another reason they are a notch above the rest. I know that most of the stalwarts hail from musical families. Jayanthi Kumaresh's uncle was Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman. Same with Veena players E. Gayathri, Rajesh Vaidhya. So they definitely have an advantage growing up with music predominant in their lives.

The rest, less fortunate who love music have to work a bit harder. So I can understand why they choose as many means to participate in the musical world and learn from others, and their own mistakes.

Thank you for your blessings ma'am. I will convey it to my students.

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha,

I am sorry for another interruption. I forgot to mentioned about Modern Theaters in Salem which produced movies every year those days with music that is copied from the western world. So many Jaishankar movies used to have James Bond tunes. CVSridhar and K.Balachander were considered as genius directors those days. Later new crop of directors such as Mahendran, Bharati Raja, Mani Ratnam, etc. came with new ideas as well.

Viswa

Agatha83 likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:I enjoyed the post thoroughly because, it is original thread on thought provoking subject.
    2.A candidate short listed now for vice chancellor post reported to have copied thesis submitted decades ago which fetched him his doctorate degree. In Bihar students report to exam hall with stiletto and or broad knife compelling invigilator (s) to keep safe distance. Many Engineering students buy their project reports which are copied from internet and their assessors never read those submissions.
    3. The student community is in a tearing hurry to get the doctorate(read degree) indigenous or foreign and in the absence of copy paste function their predecessors struggled a lot.
    4. Originality has been given a go-bye long ago and it is only rehashing and copy-paste world. Even American tele communication giant paid huge compensation in an out of court settlement to a Japanese multinational firm for copying the former's design.
    5.Punishing students for copying in those days was easy. Today teachers are a threatened lot. They hide themselves from copying students.
    6.More recently a reputed author returned the coveted Booker award back as latter it was established that she lifted the passages from a popular book of another famous author.
    Regards.
    God Bless Us All.

Agatha83 likes this.
  7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

Do you know why most of the Tamil films which were remakes of Hindi films, churned out by Modern Theatres, had only one MD who was Veda. It was because Sundaram who was passionate about the Hindi tunes, wanted to have the same ones in all his remakes, which many MDS refused point blank. But it was Veda, who was ready for the game, accepted the conditions - thus we have all the Songs of those remakes, having the same tunes as those of their respective Hindi versions.

Agatha83

8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Thyagarajan,

Whatever things I have left in my write up, you have come out with a very clear list, for which I am very thankful. I wonder how these people who get their degrees and titles, using copy paste method, could compete in an international arena, where originality and creativity in thinking, matters most.

Agatha83

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. nina888

nina888 New IL'ite

Oh thanks for the great post!

Agatha83 likes this.
  10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you nina888

Agatha83