1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Curry Leaf Plant in tristate area.

Discussion in 'Indians in New York' started by swahini, Jun 15, 2013.

1. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

Hello,

I have been looking for a curry leaf plant. I live around NYC and willing to travel 30 -50 miles around it to get one.

I do not want to get it from some website (tried it twice, did not work), so if anybody has it at home for a while and make seedlings, I would love to get one. Of course, I am willing to pay for it.

I contacted a couple of folks on gardenweb as well but I did not feel comfortable to order from them.

Thanks in advance

(P.S. - 1, I am also looking for lemongrass as well. Any pointer in that regard in same geographic area is welcome too.
    2, I wonder if they sell these plants in Edison, NJ area, since there is so much of Indian community out there.)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

I like your penchant for gardening.

3. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

Its not at all penchant. I am just fed up of paying through my nose for these things so thought why not grow myself. I really don't have time for gardening... :(

4. meerakoushik

meerakoushik New IL'ite

Hi Swahini,

Did u get curry leaf plant ???

5. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

Yes,
    I found it in Bhatia Nursery. I would not recommend to get it from them though. It is VERY expensive, whatever stated on the website does not stand. We got a very tiny plant for $20 and now I am not too sure if it will survive. The plant is less than 6 inches tall.

It is not a nursery but PC repair shop and few plants that they guy plants in one corner of the store.
    My husband did not argue because he drove all the way just to buy that plant.

Where are you located? Check on gardenweb.com and get seeds from those folks next July or even buying plant from them is better. I plan to do the same or if you are a NJ resident, check around Edison, sure someone will have it or ask the stores there, they may get one for you.

6. meerakoushik

meerakoushik New IL'ite

Hi Swahini,

I bought a curry leaf plant from bridgewater temple in NJ for $10. I get leaves enuf for my use.
    I dnt know anything about gardening so I just water it every morning.
    I saw ur first post was on June.. So asked u whether u got one.
    Thank you.

7. swahini

swahini Senior IL'ite

Do they sell there or its like you have to ask someone there? can you give me address please, just for a back up if this one dies during the winter.

Thanks in advance.

8. meerakoushik

meerakoushik New IL'ite

hi,

Yes they sell Tualsi and curry leaf plant. Visit the shop inside the temple.
    Go thru this link for address.
    ::Sri Venkateswara Temple::

9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You can find fresh lemongrass stalks in the Asian markets. They are very easy to grow during summer.
    I put them in a glass of water, and they grow roots within a few days. Then they can be planted. They grow well both in pots and in the ground, and like rich soil and lots of water.