1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Curd Rice

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Dec 19, 2019.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Iyers are mostly known for their love for curd. Other South Indian delicacies such as dosas, idli, etc. are also relished by Iyers. Coffee amongst beverages , especially filter coffee and curd amongst food items form an indispensable part of the Iyer food menu.

Only South Indians end their food with thayir sadam. Earlier school children used to take thayir sadam for lunch in school with some pickle. or idli with milagapodi on it. Now a days parents give so many varieties of food to children in the tiffin boxes and just as there are varieties of food in the lunch box ,the lunch box also has so many varieties. In our days we were given food in a thooku. Those days there were no lunch boxes as now.

Now coming to thayir chadam, my friends used to say South Indians are very intelligent because they eat curd rice. Just mixing the curd with rice does not have much taste compared to the curd rice we make with ginger, kadipatha and give a thadka of mustard seeds in Oil. And when we have it with any pickle especially if it s avakkai or lemon pickle it tastes so yummy. Also curd rice with puli inji, avial, olan tastes very yummy. Writing of that only my mouth is watering because I am a foody and enjoy food with the right combinations. They say na brahmana bhojana priya.

But of late youngsters are so busy in their working life that they have no time to enjoy their food in time . Earlier on holidays the whole family used to be there and enjoy having lunch together. I think those days are rare now a days

kkrish, sindmani, Gauri03 and 5 others like this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

:kissingheart::kissingheart::kissingheart:
    A sweet turn of phrase! Much like the famous celebrity Yogi Berra who had said :” nobody goes there anymore because it is too crowded”.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    iyerviji and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:It is Marghazhi and still you are fond of curd rice with Thadka of ginger mirchi mustard and asafoetida and of course kadipattha - curryleaf.
    Every word you had written here of the curd-rice horoscope is mouthwatering.

2. Immediate thing that comes to mind is olden days when we travel we used to carry packed food and would eagerly look forward to the time of being served thairsadam - curd rice with with vethha kuzhambu or pulikachhal or moremulaghai for touch.

3. I remember my class mate Rajamani would always bring curd rice in stainless steel thooku for his lunch.

4. I remember in the absence of curdomatics , it used to take almost two days to get curd formed at home during peak winter in New Delhi. Then we got tips that to quicken fermentation - the jar of milk with little curd added, need to be kept warm and we used to cover the jar with cardigans or my tortoise neck sweater.

5. Irrespective of geography of our location, a Madrasi South Indian Brahmin would feel a meal is completed only if he had eaten last the curd bath.

6. Curd gives me thought of my mom who taught me to add a spoonful of dahi to the bhindi during frying so that seeds remain intact with in the cut pieces.

7. Sometimes during those days I collect from neighbour little curd to make new curds. Curd rice is good when rice cooked little pasty is used.

8. Whenever it is felt that other foods are disagreeable to stomach for some unknown reasons, it is suggested to eat less creamy curd rice thanks to curds probiotic effect.

9. curds made in pots are far tastier to prepare curd rice than curds prepared in metal containers.

Thanks and Regards.

God Has hidden ghee in butter in curd in milk

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your feedback

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Enjoyed reading your detailed feedback about curd rice

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Vijiakka,

I enjoyed reading your snippet and realized how much you enjoyed writing this. The love for Thayir Sadam is eternal no matter which part of the world one lives. A few years back, I read a very interesting article of Paramacharya describing the importance of all items regularly taken in day to day life. When Paramacharya described about Thayir Sadam's relevance, he said those who regularly eat Thayir will have strong teeth and don't have to go to dentist. That is the first time I learned about it.

iyerviji likes this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Viswa for your feedback and sorry for late reply. Ya I have also read about Paramacharya describing about each item. Glad you enjoyed reading my snippet.

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Vijima @iyerviji

Nothing can beat thayir saadam.
    I love it with or without pickle, fried mor milagai, vathhal kuzhambu poured into the tiny dent, or with any other spicy side dish.

Here is a song dedicated to the Curd Rice.

iyerviji likes this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your lovely feedback and video

10. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

We are not so lucky as your generation Vijima, because now rice is a very fancy thing to have. Doctors are against it, nutritionists are against it, everyone is against it. Even curd, it should be non fat. Food in itself is treated as poison.

iyerviji and Thyagarajan like this.