1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cupid's Arrow- 2009!- A love story!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by AbhiSing, Feb 14, 2009.

1. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

இனிது இனிது காதல் இனிது

The air is full of love, the florist sells only bunches of roses(of course the prices are exorbitant), tables all booked in the bay view restaurants, valentines rushing to buy gift at the last minute.....on this eve of VDay!

How many of us believe the story of cupid's arrow striking and and we falling in love in a microsecond? Today's scientists have researched the "mechanism" of love.(I wonder who will fund for such researches....I'm sure he/she is/was in love!)
    And to my surprise Love involves only the brain not the heart. (Or may be...since we give our heart to our love, we are only left with the brain...(does it makes any sense?) Or may be we fall on our head (over heels), the brain is only involved...:idea)

It is not anymore the simple he meets her, she meets him; cupid's arrow strikes and they fall in love, logic. And believe me, all the true characteristics of falling in love has a scientific or rather a hormonal explanation behind them. I am trying to explain the complexity(what more can you expect in this 4 letter word) from my limited understanding capacity.

Love is Blind!

(Though I don't believe in this, it is the first 'curse' that comes from those who oppose/hate love )

True. When a person is in love, a portion of the brain called frontal cortex (at the forehead region) is deactivated. This portion, dearies, helps us in our planning and judging abilities. This deactivation masks the flaws of the person being loved.

Lovers loose sleep and appetite!

(That time is spent fruitfully in practicing the sweet nothings for the next day :hide:, and replaying the previous day's SNs , don't you all agree my friends?)

Seratonin is a chemical produced in brain and it is responsible for our moods, emotions, sleep and appetite. When one falls in love, the secretion of seratonin drops dramatically....and now you know the rationale behind the loss of sleep and appetite.

Being in love is stressful!

(Oh My God...repeated pinching from friends to bring us from our dreamland is surely stressful!)

Researches like Prof. Marazzitti give the hormonal reason behind it. They have found that Cortisol and Norepinephrin (the two buddies causing stress) are realeased in higher levels in those who are smitten. Isn't it logic enough for the palpitation, excitement and high BP?

Now coming to the HOT stuff.... Romantic love is an emotion!

(We are after all human beings, the creatures with heaps of emotions...so what's new here?) )

Our experts like Helen Fisher, an expert on the science of human attraction(how come I never have heard about this faculty during my time) tell otherwise. The middle of our brain has the Ventral Tegmental Area (VTA) that becomes a busy body when we are in love.This VTA releases Dopamine....inducing the romantic feelings like pleasure, want, craving and motivation. VTA is a teardrop shaped portion of the brain (Is there any love without tears?) The VTA along with 3 other tiny parts of the brain forms a circuit(ventral tegmental area (VTA), the nucleus accumbens, the ventral pallidum and raphe nucleus.).This lits up when a person is in love. And...the spark is kept alive by hugs, kisses and intimacy.

Love results in bonding, trust and attachment!

(Do we have anyother choice..?)

Technically, the Oxytocin, nick named as "Love Hormone" is the director here. This is produced by the hypothalamus part of the brain, induced by touching, hugging etc etc. The love hormone take cares of the trust, bond and attachment and other emotional aspects of the person in love.

Before you all come to strike me with arrows...I should stop typing. For those who are deceived by the title, yet again and came here to read a hot romance...sorry guys...it's yours truly's blog:thumbsup who knows nothing about penning a story.
    For my friends who know that I will blabber something in the likes of this, yet came here to view...Thanks for the faith you have in meBig Laugh.

Happy Valentines Day ! Lit up the love circuit with flowers to your Valentines!

2. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

My Dear Vijee,

What a medical and practical analysis on love!

Enjoyed reading it.

I remember that I didn't post my FBs to your other two blogs which I read.

Once I find my time back, I will be here with you.

Love,

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

viji,
    With humour, you had explained how love works...great job...for us to understand love on the medical side.

sriniketan

4. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

I am heartened to see you here with your limited IL time. I can't help but to blog about Love...since this is the month of love.

Take your time and make sure you share your insights on the analyses too.

Have you planned how to lit up your Valentine's circuit?

5. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Very happy to know that you liked it too. I was giggling while typing it , and believe me the research terms were a bit confusing and I gave it as per my understanding. Any experts out there should forgive me if I am wrong!

What is for V day special in your home?

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Vijee,

I just laughed out loud after reading your clinical analysis of an very hyped and a overtly described words in the emotional sense of the meaning..oh god..i am going in circles somewhere...

A little busy right now....and a little sleepy..did not check out any florist. only got to see the cards that dhoni got, on news..

ACtually early morning, when I said bye to Veda at the airport we forgot it is valentine today.

7. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Shan,

Loved your reply.
    Vdays are for amateurs and not for veteran Vedas'.
    Oh! Veda's trip looks too short. I wish him a safe and pleasant flight.

I didn't see Dhoni's cards..in the newsbonk. Will dig in you tube later. I wonder how these kids waste their parent's money in sending those cards to him Rant.

Thank you . Take care dear.

8. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Vijee,
    That was a nice blog spiced with humour! I too had read about this research thing in our local papers. Now it does seem that the heart has no role in love except giving palpitations! Imagine if the heart sign is substituted with brain symbol! Won't it look yucky and messy?
    I would prefer Shakespeare to these researchers!
    Love,
    Malathi

9. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

VJ,
    Cho chweet blog :exactly:
    After reading the medical reason ,I told to myself, "oh, adana indha galatakku ellam karanam" ;)

"Oh My God...repeated pinching from friends to bring us from our dreamland is surely stressful!"

Ha ha , you are making me nostalgic by bringing back those college memories dear :)

10. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Dear viji,
    Wonderful blog on love dear. Very apt for today... woww... you did do your due diligent research b4 you wrote it... has the love bug bitten you to do so ??? the result is good... loved it.. so in arranged marriage do we ask cupid a favor to perfectly aim the arrow at the right person?? or do we use our brains to guide our hearts... hmmmm food for thought..
    Aparna