1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

crunchy low calorie snacks??

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Rums, May 9, 2011.

1. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi Ils,
    I love crunch stuff. I tried popcorn but my family hates it. we like crackers from stores but it's got so much sodium and so much calories. Any ideas for crunch snacks prepared at home or
    brought from outside. Lots but less calories...

2. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Khakra. Chewda. Murmura. Rice crackers with hummus/peanut butter/other nut butters. Carrots. Apples. Celery. Oh and I saw a recipe for "cuminy nibbles" once. Kind of like salt biscuits I suppose, but you control the sodium content.

How old are your children? (I am assuming of course, but it sounds like you have children). I would have liked to give toddler cookies by Healthy Times to my DD, except that she's allergic to some of the ingredients.

3. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Khakra. Chewda. Murmura??...recipes pls

4. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rums,

Khakra is nothing but crispy, flaky chapathi. Its comes with and without oil. you have to check that while buying. Its a gujarathi snack. Its exported from India to various countries. Try in Indian Stores there. Mostly you will get it. If you don't then while making chapathis, make few thin chapathis, cook them on a tava on a low flame by flipping them frequently till they become crispy.

Murmura is Puffed Rice. You can make a nice chat adding Onions, roasted papad, coriander leaves, chat masala, green chutney, tamarind chutney and add the puffed rice just before serving. This will keep them crispy. Or it can be prepared by heating a tsp of oil, adding salt, turmeric powder, hing, curry leaves. Put off flame. Add puffed rice. Mix well and serve.

Chivda is Mixture. It mainly consists of fried flattened rice, little sev, nuts etc. You get Diet Chivdaa too. Its a low calorie chivda. You can try in Indian / North Indian Stores.

You can check our IL Shiva Choubey's low calorie snack recipes too in Keep fit & Maintain shape forum.

5. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi Mimur9,

Thanks. can you pls give me the link as well?. I tried searching in keep fit forum and couldn't find it.

Thannks

6. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Never mind. Got it :)

7. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

That's great. Wish you all the best.

8. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

9. br123

br123 New IL'ite

Corn chips and salsa
    pretzels
    Multi grain chips
    Pita chips and hummus or some type of dip

10. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

hummus sounds good but pita and corn chips are a big no no for me. It gets so tasty and I can't stop eating...I tried Shiva's Sweet potato snack and it was very nice...