1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Creator, preserver, destroyer..!,

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Apr 2, 2010.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

I would like to narrate one interesting incident that happened during my college days.

I was studying in a Sindhi College called C.H.M. College (Chandibhai Himathmal Mansukhani College), U.S.A. [Here U.S.A. stands for Ulhasnagar Sindhi Association].

Our Principal was a devout follower of Sadhu Vaswani and advocated vegetarianism. Every year on November 25, our college observed Meatless Day to pledge against non-vegetarianism. For your information, Sadhu Vaswani’s birthday is celebrated as an International Meatless Day on November 25.

Being a Tamil Brahmin, it was easier for me to sign the pledge while my friends half-heartedly signed the pledge knowing very well that it meant nothing for them. As usual, on that day, the Principal announced that those who are taking the pledge for avoiding eating meat shall raise hands.

It was expected of all of us to raise hands (though there was lot of backslapping behind). Only one of my classmates Ranjit refused to raise his hand. We were surprised and eager to see the reaction of our Principal.

The Principal called Ranjit near him and asked him why he is not willing to take the pledge. Ranjit replied honestly that he can’t, as he liked eating meat. By this time, we were all giggling.

The Principal ordered all of us to keep quiet. He told Ranjit to raise his hands and place it near his own mouth. Then shouted the Principal “Go, eat your hand.”

Ranjit replied “I can’t.”

The Principal said “If this is the case, are you convinced and ready to take the pledge.”

Ranjit gave up and had no option but to agree with the Principal. We were enjoying Ranjit’s plight as no one was really serious about the issue. The whole affair was like a joke for us.

The Principal appeared pleased with Ranjit and said “Ok, come to my cabin later and take my gift for you.” and left. As soon as the Principal left, we all pounced on Ranjit and made fun of him.

Some of us even applauded him for his courage and goaded Ranjit to collect the gift from the Principal. Ranjit hesitatingly went inside the cabin of the Principal.

We were all waiting outside inquisitive of what gift may lie in store for Ranjit. In a few minutes, Ranjit arrived but his face was not beaming with pride.

He came with a towel in his hand. “Is this the gift earned by you for turning vegetarian” We sang in chorus. Ranjit’s face went red with embarrassment.

The above episode is one of the funnier moments of my college days and I mean no offence.

Having been brought up on a vegetarian diet since childhood, I cannot really say much about non-vegetarian food. However, I am very open on this issue.

I don’t agree that vegetarians are superior or non-vegetarians or superior.

Choices of food vary from man to man.

For that matter, grass eating deers are one of the most agile animals, so one cannot say that vegetarians are weak.

But man is a peculiar animal in the sense that his being a vegetarian or non-vegetarian is also determined by his birth, caste, custom and the society in which he lives.

Some like eating chicken and meat of goat, but avoid eating meat of cows.

While men in some parts of the world eat cows, pigs, snakes and even cockroaches.

I even saw a man in Survivorman series at Discovery channel eating scorpions, grasshoppers and raw rats as food. So what is palatable to one’s stomach may not necessarily be so for the other person.

Hence, the important criteria behind the food habits should be that the food must be hygienic and balanced with all the necessary nutrients.

however, Man is different from other animals in the sense that he kills for hunger as well as for his pleasures.

In the process, he eats and kills more than he can chew leading to a lop-sided ecological balance.

A giant banyan tree witnesses goats grazing lazily.

A tiger comes and attacks the goats.
    The tree is happy as the owner saves the goats from the tiger.

He kills the goat for meat, kills the snake living in the tree and shoots the birds for pleasure.

The tree stands mute witness as other man comes and kills the owner for occupying his land.

Not satisfied with just food, he cuts the tree, builds roads and destroys everything around him.

In that way, Man acts as the Creator, Preserver and Destroyer. But the sad thing is that he destroys more than he creates and preserves very little.

2. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Suresh,

Excellent post! Enjoyed reading it. How very true about man being the Creator, preserver and destroyer. Yes he destroys much more than what he preserves or creates.

Regards,
    Usha

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Suresh sir

Yep man destorys more than what he actually creates!!! This is the bottom line which drew my attention....very apt statement...hope we all learn and realise it

4. sureshmiyer

thanks for your compliment

cheers
    suresh

5. sureshmiyer

Thanks for the compliment

cheers
    suresh

6. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Dear Suresh!!

Very nice write-up!! Got carried away with it! I am doubtful about the right we humans have to destroy what we have created, but nature? did we create them? but I feel nature only created humans through evoluntionary process, and we started destroying the mother nature which created us!! A mother will bear her atrocious son without cursing, how much ever he tortures her!!! Like that, our mother nature is bearing with all our sins, I feel. Thanks for sharing. Regards, Janani Natarajan

7. sureshmiyer

Thanks janani for your comments

You said it right.
    While other animals attack due to survival instincts, man misuses his intelligence and that leads to his doom.

regards
    suresh