1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Creating Interest With Kid On Extra Curricular Activity

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by omsrisai, Feb 4, 2019.

1. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Hi Il's,

My DD is 7 years old and i am having trouble in engaging her with an extra curricular activity,being a working woman i have only saturday and sunday to spend with her and i want her to be engaged with some extra curricular activity like dance,music or some sport of her interest etc.i need some guidance /suggestion or help with this.
    When we are at home,she is interested to watch movies / mobile and not showing her focus in other things.
    My husband is a couch potato and he does not show his interest in anything for the kid and it is only me who has to take all the responsibility and i am really finding it difficult with taking my kid to some dance or music class etc.
    Please share your tips and thoughts which will be really helpful for me.

2. alady2018

alady2018 Silver IL'ite

I would say first thing minimize mobile and TV - the level of stimulation received with from those is extremely high - with very little effort expended from the child's side. So compared to that - any other activity will feel like "too much effort for very little fun"
    Ofcourse it is very hard to do with dad glued to TV. Children will only do what they see - not what they are told. So you would need some ideas to get dad to be hands-on and on-board or at least part of your plan.

- What about the usual times when dad is on TV (say Sunday 10am), plan to play a family sport in your apartment complex or in the neighborhood park. Badminton would be a good starting point for all three of you to be involved. If you have the usual household, then this might mean you need to wake up really early to make breakfast and lunch. Make really simply choices in menu so you can also join them in the game. You can try family tennicoit, or frisbee - low investment but a lot of fun and health - if you all practice and get good at it.

- For dance and music, take her to some mesmerizing performances by other kids so she gets inspired to also be able to do that. Try some community singing events - usually in religious/spiritual centers. When a bunch of people sing together - the feeling is great - and children can become inspired to sing along. But all this can happen only if she sees that you, as the mother are also truly interested - in any this. She should hear your interest in singing, dancing, and also see you take interest in learning about it. You can try some vocal teachers - will allow for adults and kids together - so you can learn along with her. And believe me - some of these singing classes - will give you good bumps - both of you may start thoroughly enjoying the experience together. If you just tell her it is "good for you" so you must go for it - for a child that is not naturally interested - it would be hard to motivate.

- For art and craft, look at age appropriate boards on Pinterest - so many creative ideas for parents to do with kids. Every Sunday evening, you can have family art time - and create something together. Maybe start with a cartoon character she adores. Ofcourse for a 7 year old - it can't just be painting a character - something more sophisticated and 3d.

shravs3 likes this.