1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Crazy FIL debates on complexion

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Sapna56, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

My son who is now 7 months old is very fair. Fairer than my current complexion. My DH is wid darker complexion. I was also very fair like my son when I was his age.
    From my side, my grandmother , my mom, my sister, my aunt, my maternal cousin, my nephew are fair.
    From my DH side, I can only see my mil on fairer side. Other than that I don't see anyone as fair as my son.
    Now my FIL says that my son is fair coz of his grandmother (my mil) and my mil's mother whom I have never seen.
    If that was the case then, my DH and my SIL should have been fair. Also my mil's brother and sisters family should also have been fair. But no one is as fair as my son.
    Sometimes I get angry and feel like giving nice explanation to my FIL about my sons complexion. But then I try to ignore.
    Shall I react or just ignore to his comments?
    He keeps on saying that my son is fair coz of my mil n mil's mother. Should I show him pics to tell that my mothers side everyone is fair. Or just ignore?
    I am sure this is going to continue as my son grows. Any weak point of my son is going to come from his mother and any good point from his father.

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Well in our country,people think fair means superior.even in your post,you also come across like that.sorry to say.

However,in laws r old and to time pass,they will say whatever they want to feel good.my mil talks about her height all the time.it is annoying but at the same time,I laugh at her childishness.

try to divert your talk and say things like how complexion is not so important but character is.it will hit them and they will stop chiding.

3 people like this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Does it really matter?
    Just ignore him and don't be his audience.Go and do your stuff.

sindmani and AprilLisa like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So much analysis and deduction to prove which genetic line gave the son the prized trait of fairness! Your FIL wants it to be his, and here you've provided a laundry list of relatives to prove that it must be yours. Everyone wants the bragging rights of making the child fair! OP, examine your own prejudices before you call out your FIL. You live in the West, you belong to a younger generation, and have exposure your FIL never had. The way I see it, you have far fewer excuses for your biases than he does.

19 people like this.
  5. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

even if ur sil and dh are not fair still ur ds can be fair because of ur mil....it can also be true that he is fair because of genes of ur side relatives....this cant be decided by giving arguments. ...so really stupid to fight with fil regarding this thing....
    let him say what he wants to....you can also always say whenever gets a chance that ur son is fair because of ur side of family. ...

6. sanskruthi

sanskruthi Silver IL'ite

just because of this you are calling your FIL crazy? notdonesmiley

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  7. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

hello,

The entire conversation based on colour is baseless ,useless and discussing it is just a waste of time.How does it matter whether a kid is dark,or fair??:confused2:

2 people like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Give thanks for a healthy baby and don't focus on nonsense.

sindmani, NeetaR and anika987 like this.
  9. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

I guess what is really bothering OP is the fact that her FIL is not giving her side of the family credit for a physical trait. I am sure she is happy that she has a healthy child whether he is fair, or dark or anything else.

Maybe OP should not be judged in the whole 'fair/dark' controversy!

1 person likes this.
  10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

It's my understanding that genetically fairness is a recessive gene so for it to manifest you need genes from both sides so OP and the FIL are both right.

2 people like this.