1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Craft Works : Metal Embossing

Discussion in 'Creative Crafts' started by Umesh Prasad, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Umesh Prasad

Umesh Prasad Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

Thanx for your comments.

1. Firstly the colour used in the background is bitumen tar (for more information on bitumen tar type 'Bitumen' in Google. Wikipedia will give you all the information you nee to know)
    However, its use is messy, hazardous and requires careful handling. Something which I would not advise, unless you are well equipped to handle by way of experience and equipment. It is better to concentrate at this time on the embossing process which itself takes dedication and time.

2. The material can be kept on a table top with old newspapers underneath. The thickness of the sheet that you are going to use does not need the use of pitch or lac. Pith is used as a base for working only when working with very thick sheets such as copper or brass sheets greater than 0.5 mm

3. Alunimium sheet of 0.3 - 0.35 mm which is normally used for embossing does not require heating. Heating aif done has to be with great caution or u may end up actually hardening the material. I will touch upon heating and annealing for metals later in a later post .

4. The bookmarks are made of aluminium. The are not copper sheets. But copper sheets can be used as well. Copper and other non-ferrous metals can also be coloured with various inks and chemical traements to create 'Patination' (see Google).

Cheers

Umesh

2. Vidu29

Vidu29 Gold IL'ite

wow Umesh, :hiya Thank you very much for the prompt and detailed explanations. I really appreciate your effort.
    I have tried a couple of pieces which I had painted with glass paints. I have attached my first piece. I will also appreciate your valuable suggestions to improve them. thank you
    :cheers
    vidya

Attached Files:

3. Umesh Prasad

Hi Vidya,

Nice to see you have made a good attempt at doing some work on metal embossing. Its good for a start. However, I would like to point out a few things:

Firstly, always start only with good quality line drawings. The quality of your initials ( preliminary input) has to be very good and neat. The output cannot be greater than the input unless you improvise on the way. This is true for any craft.

It looks to me that you were in a hurry to finish the piece. You need to have patience.
    The embossing needs to be deeper and more defined. The edges need to be sharper. The paint has ‘bled’ because the edges were not properly defined. Detail is very important, other the image will look quite ‘bland’.

If you want to improve on this art, don’t bother about colouring the piece immediately. Just work on improving the quality of embossing. It takes a while but it will be worth it. You will discover a lot of your own techniques only if you actually exercise your patience in this regard.

Lastly, avoid trying subjects such human faces or animals such as horses till such time that you have gained sufficient expertise in embossing. This is because if the piece is not embossing properly the subject can look pretty distorted. Many embossing enthusiasts do this major mistake.

Try other subjects such as fishes, flowers, geometric shapes or abstracts which can look very interesting when coloured. I will try to prepare and post some designs which those who are interested can try. I will also give some colour options.

Till then enjoy embossing.

Cheers

Umesh

4. chitti67

chitti67 Silver IL'ite

Hi umesh prasad...
    went thru ur album and ur posts...nice to have u here in indus.....ur prompt and detailed explanations are really appreciable...it was my wish to learn this art..but whn i went to some teachers i was not happy at their works9as u told they are distorted)...after seeing ur idea of book marks im feeling to give a try.....its really a nice idea...thank u..

5. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

hi umesh!
    i just went through your metal embossing album, :wow
    your caricatures of bob marley, jim hendrix and santana are the best according to me! the lines are v fluid!:cool:Bow
    keep creating and posting! where did you learn this art?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  6. Vidu29

Vidu29 Gold IL'ite

Hatz off Umesh,
    you have given me a billion $ advice. and you have judged very :iagree correctly that I do hurry to finish my work. bonk Your generosity is also very much appreciated.:thankyou2:
    I will remember your tips when I start my next project.
    At the moment, I am learning Tanjore painting from another IL (Id name Kalluputti). She also is a great artist and insists on having proper line drawing and patience before starting any project.(not that I lack it but I am over enthu when doing some new project & want to see the finished product as soon as possible) I am learning a lot from her.
    Thank you once again & thank U IL for providing a chance to meet such great artists.
    vidya

7. Umesh Prasad

Hi Vidya,

i am so thankful for your comments. But at any time I tend to make critical comments please do not think otherwise. I tend to express myself openly and may it times be cut and dry. It is with an intention to convey something. For the benefit of those who wish to learn.

8. Umesh Prasad

Hi artisticone,

thanq very much for your observation. To answer your question, this (repousse or metal embossing) art is self- taught. Though I have been indulging in 'Art and Craft' from childhood. I have never formally studied art (does it matter, I wonder?).

9. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Re: Metal Embossing

Hi

Very very beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!! Great work !!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers :thumbsup

-sunitha

10. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

hi umesh,
    wow, u are a self taught artist!:bowdown
    in fact it makes your talent even more appreciable!!
    keep creating and posting!