1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Craft Works : Flower Arrangement /Stringing kachaparam

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by Vidya24, Apr 25, 2006.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

haifolks tried with photoshop....

haifolks tried with photoshop though the picture had to be reduced to load here...hope u can see the white line drawn to explain just the first set of flower once done go to the second set of flower while finished with lower twist include the first set also while putting the knot over and it willcome out close.i have tried with paint brush style hope able to reach well......regards..sunkan

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

thanks

dear Vidhya,
    thanks for posting.I feel that if you know basic flower strining , kachapparam is easy only. I shall repeat, make one kanni (as it is called in Tamil) the usual way. Start the second kanni and while putting the second knot, include the previous kanni also. Repeat the third kanni and join only the second kanni (which is joined with the first kanni). You can join half kanni also, if strining with 2 flowers. That will also give a good effect.
    About garland, one of my friends' grandfather used to do that. I have seen and learnt but have not tried it. For garland, a thick naaru is essential. Tie a thin thread (like a twain) 2 inches from one end of the thick thread. Hold the flower to the thick thread with the petal side facing outside and tightly wound the thin thread around the stem and also the thick thread. Now the flower will be fixed with the main thread. Make sure to hold the thin thread tight and taunt. Now contue for each flower, keeping them as near to the prevvious one as possible. Wind the thin thread around the stem and thick thread tightly. It is difficult at first and only with practice we can do all things. People who are interested can do at home for our satisfaction.
    I do not have a digital camera. But there is a web camera with the computer. If anyone tells me how to do it by web camera, I shall try to do that.I will try in a day or two. Archana's last exam is tomorrow. I will do it once she is free.
    The method sunkan and CV mentioned comes out like chain knot in crochet. I have also tried that. But I didn;t remember the steps so I left it out.It is very nice to know such things are sought out by many people even now.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sundari,

Thanks for taking the trouble to make photoshop slides for kachaparam. I am so happy to see that many still know this style and can demonstrate it.

warm regards
    Vidya

4. Sakhi

Sakhi New IL'ite

difficult

Good that we finally have a thread on flowers. But i don't think bouquet and garland making can be taught in words. The directions by Varloo and photoshop by Sunkan are good. But we need someone teaching us step by step.

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

chitra madam
    i have ram bhanam in the house and like how u say the smell is aladhi,,but can u tell me what is krishna bhanam.....regards...sunkan

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs C,

It is so nice to hear abt yr garden. I dunno what Ramabanam and Krishnabanam are- maybe I associate them with Malayalam names.

I recently read that in madurai alone, we get a special kumkumam called Thazamboo Kumkumam. Is it special?

These days I seem to read a lot of Madurai info. Ondappilli, ilaneer payasam, New college hotel, Prem Niwas halwa- --

warm regards
    VR

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Vidya !

Madurai is special in I L, because me & Varalotti come from there - ha ha ha !
    Ramabanam & K banam are firm looking long flowers ( one has a tinge of pink, the other is pure white). I would say, they are " majestic looking flowers" rather than gentle looking ! A small anecdote comes to my mind, here. When I was expecting my first child Ruby, & was fully pregnant, in May, there was profuse flowering of both ramabanamm & krishnabanam. My grandmother said that it was an indication that a girl baby was going to be born & the flowers were ready to welcome her ! It did happen as well ! Those 2 flowers used to make really picturesque " venis" when stringed by the loop method since they were minimum 3 cms long !
    In the Madurai list you forgot to include " masal kizangu " !
    Thazampoo kumkum is special in madurai Meenakshi temple with its unique fragrance. That is my standard gift to my friends here, every time I come back from Madurai.
    You just said in the other thread " let us never meet in person" - please take back your words. From my side, I am dying to meet you. I definitely will not like to die without meeting you once !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

yes vidya the thazhamboo kumkum is very special

dear vidya,
    i get these kumkumams during the navarathri uthsavam and distribute in the karumariamman temple near my house there r two sides to ur question , if u like only the thazhamboo smell then it is only that....but if u think it is a speciality of madurai not available and to give it to sumangalis who dont take their hand away in the temple once they dip want to take as much as possible then u feel u have done something grt.....regards..sunkan

9. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Dear chirta madam,

I think u r talkin about pichi poo , these are also looks like ramabanam,krishna banam.it comes only in may,june,july months in courtralam season.like u said they are majestic looking flowers and the fragrance of these flowers etharkum eedahathu.

love,
    mohana.

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

No, they are different !

Dear Mohana, Pichippoo is different from R & K Banam ! The latter 2 are bigger than pichi !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.