1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cracked Heels

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by Sushmavarala, May 1, 2008.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What is the best cream for cracked heel repair? Not home-made remedies.

Of the cracked heel repair cream choices that the Dr. Scholl's brand has, which are good?

Thank you.

Looking only for recommendations that can bought in a store in the U.S. or online. Thread already has many suggestions on how ladies of leisure can dispense TLC to their feet.

Amica likes this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I thought you were talking about shoes, and was about to recommend a cyano-acrylate adhesive, also known as crazy-glue.
    It is your (human, anatomical underfoot) heel, no?

Diabetics (who suffer such problems, are asked to inspect, remove with a mild abrasive wand, and) use a cream. See which ones of the creams are available in your neighbourhood drug store...Top 5 Diabetic Foot Creams

Rihana likes this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Rihana likes this.
  4. Rihana

Yes, the one near the calcaneus bone. What else could it be?

Hmm.. Thank you for the link. Would it be OK for non-diabetic people to use those creams? I mean, why is there a separate recommendation for 'diabetic foot creams'?

You have given more questions and one answer. Why are you being such a heel? :lol:

Afresh likes this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

It is called "segment marketing". If you happinto be in a Drug Store, and read the labels of competing brands, you'd see that the one in the cosmetics section is a leetul bit more expensive than in the OTC drugs counter.... same goop, diluted in the same under-goop. Packaging, Label (communication) and display-location are all different for drugs and cosmetics, even though the tubes have the same stuff.

I tend to give homework problems, don't I ? My mind wandered off to Lioness on a Cheesegrater, and old Greek comedies by Aristophanes. I must go and take my medicines.... or use some cosmetics.

I also thought of how modest, good girls can become round-heeled, and advising all good girls not to go overboard with the heel-grinding is a good thing, no?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  6. Rihana

Yes. The rotisserie chicken biryani remains a plan. Each time I pass the chicken in Costco, it seems to reach out from under the plastic lid and wave me on. :confused:

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Never rush a good thing.

In many bathrooms (especially tiled ones) there'd one tile that is abrasive. Because one can remove dead cells easily from calluses when the heel has been soaked in hot water and got a little softer. Towards the end of a hot shower/bath, the bather could just do a few chubby chucker twists of one heel at a time on that rough tile, and then wash off the tile. Quite a nice thing to have in a bathroom floor.

Once upon a time an older (visiting) relative wanted such a tile in the bathroom. Resident DIY person went to Homedepot and got a tile to replace one of the tiles already on the floor. Half a day's work.

Rihana likes this.
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Believe it or not, I researched this. Cracked heels on older relatives (non-diabetic) in India drove me crazy. I was concerned that such neglect would invite infection, especially when splashing about in the monsoon rains in derelict chappals.

In most cases, the cracks are due to a lack of moisture. All that is required is a good moisturizer after every shower and the occasional exfoliation with a pumice stone. I recommend the following:

(1) Aquaphor or Eucerin foot creme - these brands are prescribed for patients suffering from rashes attributable to side-effects of chemo or other cancer therapies. There are versions without fragrance, lanolin and other unnecessary additives. They are safe. Apply to heel every night at bedtime until the cracks are gone.

(2) Gel socks: Such socks come in a million different varieties - with/without moisturizer, reusable, washable, single-use disposable, covered toe, open toe, blah, blah. Just pick something, wear during sleep. For most people, consistent use is more important than the exact formulation.

Remember to be careful that you don't go slip-slidin' away if you wake up to get that midnight snack. I say this because I have the aforementioned old folks in mind! These creams are rich and may need some time to be absorbed into the skin. Until that happens, you are liable to slip on Indian mosaic tile floors. The single-use plastic 'sock' with keratin-whatever is pretty gooey, convenient but messy. Be c-a-r-e-f-u-l !

Afresh, Amica and Rihana like this.
  9. SpringB

SpringB Platinum IL'ite

Tried / worked method- Pedicure with paraffin wax (warm) at Spa/ store . Then continue using simple vaseline or any other equivalent moisturizer at bed time. Maximize wearing slippers or socks to keep feet covered

Rihana likes this.
  10. Rihana

Ordered both. And made a note about nighttime walking. The gel socks - didn't even know they existed. Re-read description to get that they are indeed washable.

This would be a nice gift for older people. In fact, I spent a pleasant 30 minutes browsing choices on amazon and reading reviews. Would be nice if the older relative can browse and pick on an iPad with the morning coffee and the newspaper, tv on. Followed by a long phone call about it.

Though the risk of slipping due to forgetting that one has them on is higher for older people in the wee hours of the morning.

Amica likes this.