Covid19- How Has Your Routine Changed, What Are You Doing To Cope Up With Being Cooped Up

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Vaikuntha, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Channel 4 in UK reports on India under lockdown

2. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

For the first two weeks, I was in high spirits - in that I was telling myself, I can do this work-at-home and keep kid entertained and happy. I have always wanted to homeschool and it was a delight playing with our 3 yr old. I woke up at 3am and got my main office work done by the time kid woke up at 10am or even later (I happily let him sleep in). No routines, schedules for us. We like free play - and spontanenously jumped from one task to another. Every time kid could be involved in a task, I multiplexed with work. We kept some of his favorite toys away for Amma's meeting time and it worked more or less. We cooked and ate when hungry. And the work day blended into evenings and nights - but it was OK. As soon as H got out of meetings, I would get in to a room to take care of pending requests for teammate that I couldn't multiplex with kid. I got to do a lot of stuff I have always wanted to do: stretching/yoga, more time under the sun, gardening, more cooking fun, etc. My whole company and manager were understanding in that our personal lives are topsy-turvey - so please be kind to your colleagues when the replies to emails are a little delayed - and many such thoughtfullness was galore.

But this past week - I feel a heaviness in my being at all times. How can this difficult time for so many thousands around the world - be a time of family bonding for me, be a time to revive my hobbies, and home tasks for me?
    How can I spend this extra time making special meals for me and my family - when doctors and nurses are in misery letting people die, deciding who to keep alive and sending their families away to keep them safe? How can deep sorrow for many others - end up being a period of comfort, safety and more fun activities under my roof in my home. This fortune I have seems very unfair.

GoneGirl and heron like this.
  3. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

We are not in the US. No quarantine here , schools and colleges are on as usual even now, much to my worry. Only those served with quarantine order (QO) or Stay Home Notice (SHN) are required to follow those. Travel declaration is given to the institution. She reached back here on March 1st when COVID situation hadnt exploded in US and so was not under SHN.

heron and Rihana like this.
  4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If I see one more FB post about 'making do with the staples in the pantry.. made these healthy and flavorful dishes ...' and beautifully arranged dishes picture, I will gag myself with a spoon.

=======
    I am truly appalled that my friends with kids in the age group 14-22 yrs and husbands in the age group called 'grown ups' are having to deal with "make some snacks" requests from kids and husband. "Make some different snacks.. we are bored eating this/that"

Makes me go down on my knees and thank God that in my household we mostly eat to live. And any extra at the table is met with unsaid gratitude of 'where did this come from?'

I felt so bad that they eat whatever I cook, I searched for the old kadhai, fried two kinds of papad's and cut up french bread and garlic bread myself and warmed them up. Even put the butter out an hour before dinner so it thaws to room temperature.

NOW, Thyagarajan and VLR like this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Deep frying is a major step !! You are not far from making your own baguettes.

NOW, Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

• Isn't this the opportunity to foist the training to make some snacks, bake some breads, cook something in the instant-pot, etc... on the teenage children ?
    • Failing that....
    • Isn't this the time to let family go on a forced diet ?[ This is so impossible to do.]
    anyhow.... here is something that is pretty close to how I never expected what I'd be wearing when the world is about to end...

upload_2020-3-31_15-15-56.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Thyagarajan and rachaputi like this.
  8. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

You read me like a book.

But one thing I tell myself before being sad is to not add to the misery already there..and its loads and loads now... everywhere.

I am happy for people who are not letting it bring them down .. but personally, its hard for me to be that way. I am trying hard to bring in some help and positivity to ones who need it now, because worry aint helping anyone ( however creativity by me at this point of time is a far shot thou, I must admit).

startinganew and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. Ushiee

Ushiee Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    So far I'm managing ok. I live in VA. Can any one tell me how (where) to purchase paper towels. I'm going to run out, went to Costco they asked us to come & wait before store opens, my hubby is not letting me to go out. Can we order online?

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

amazon is having