Covid19- How Has Your Routine Changed, What Are You Doing To Cope Up With Being Cooped Up

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Vaikuntha, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

I didn't think that schools and offices will be closed. In India, metro are not allowing gatherings and schools/ colleges are closed. People are indoors and 'social distancing' is the buzz word.

In US, it is similar situation. Schools are closed. Day cares are closed. College dorms are vacated. Classes and work is online.

I went to shop last week to stock up on few things, so late in the game, I was met with empty shelves looking at me. I am not worried about hoarding TP, or anything else- reason being- I always have 1 month supply anyways. But the long lines and empty shelves, among other things, were apocalyptic.

How are you putting up with this change of pace? How has your routine changed? How are children doing with being indoors and no school. What did you hoard up on?

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In random order:

- did not stock up much. Didn't do it three weeks ago though neighbor texted me from Costco. I just got some toor daal. Can't live without that.
    - Family at home... already strain beginning to tell. Not complaining.. but still... My friend and I thought of renting out a room to each other in our houses... : ) To give kids respite from the mean mom they have. : )

Avoiding the forward's in WhatsApp, but some are indeed funny. "Maid servant called to say I am working from home today." ; )

Must be tough for people with really young kids. Mine are older so as long as they have internet... Tomorrow will give to whoever will listen the lecture about having a routine, getting fresh air yada yada.

shravs3, Vaikuntha, SunPa and 7 others like this.
  3. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Even we didn't stock up. Stocking on silly stuff like toilet paper!? I just happened to bring toor dal, moong dal extra last month (nothing intentional, I thought our stock was all done). Can't people simply use water, what's with the toilet paper craze? I specifically asked the grocery store if they would run out of the supplies and the cashier said it would be fine. It is not like this virus will kill all the population on the planet. I wonder if really that was the situation then how would people behave?

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

This is indeed forwardable.. :thumbsup:

We have earthquake emergency storage of food, water, gas-stove, flash lights, batteries, portable-toilet (go-&-tie-seal, when underground is broken, drains would be kaput), solar charger for phone, etc.. My routine hasn't changed much.... as I am not employed.

Mail order desi food delivery is still working. I got a shipment of dals, atta, cooking oils, and basmati rice a week ago.

I hear that Trader Joe's is also being mobbed and shelves getting bare. How much can a household store at home ? Especially fresh foods? Why is there a run on bananas? That is nuts. They'd all ripen at the same time, and one has to make several loaves of banana-nut bread ?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Vaikuntha and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

- no kids at home so not feeling the heat.
    - I have myself given off to maid seeing her coughing n sneezing. She's not back until she gets completely alright
    - Husband work from home at times which leads to him taking my new laptop n use:disappointed::disappointed:. So I manage with the old laptop for my work. (sometimes it doesn't function)
    - here in India we still didn't see empty shelves . However I couldn't find toilet roll yesterday at a couple of super markets :sweat::sweat:

Other things affected :
    - In laws were supposed to travel to daughter's for 2 months which now stands cancelled because train travel for 24 hrs not advisable for old people and Air travel is ruled out .. Hate you virus for this. :tired:
    - work at new home halted as the new apartment complex is taking precautions and not allowing workers in the premises . As long as the current landlord doesn't throw us out we are fine. :grin:
    - Parents vacation plans next month to Leh Ladakh is hanging on the cliff. Unable to cancel the tickets because of huge loss we are incurring.(DGCA said they'll refund the air ticket amount in the headlines, reading th e main article realised its for foreign travel. Waiting for them to take a call on domestic travel) Unable to take a call and send them. Totally confused. Waiting for the situation to improve so that they can enjoy their trip.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  6. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

More than the supplies, I am just worried about when and how this is going to end. My parents came to US to stay with me for sometime. I couldn't take them around for vacation, but half of their stay is over. They are about to go back early June and we are so confused as to what to do now. Sometimes they think they should leave now incase if flights get canceled in June, but at the same time worried about their health too since according to CDC they are at high risk.

Luckily they got a lot of stuff from India when they came, so didn't had to buy much. I understand people who have kids, schools and daycare closed. Also some companies still not allowing work from home, so will be difficult for them to manage everything. Also hardly you see people on streets these days, looks like a ghost town outside.

Vaikuntha, SunPa, Thyagarajan and 2 others like this.
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I had bought tp from Amazon a month ago.
    Had a big bottle of sanitizer.
    So no issues with it.
    Some independent sellers were selling sanitizes in Amazon at insane prices.
    Just went to Indian store yesterday to get a packet of toor dals. Saw people buying like 20 4lb packets of all dals.
    Safeway, people r buying full carts of groceries, canned goods.
    God.

8. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

That's really stupid and selfish if you ask me, a 4lb packet will last easily a month (we use dal daily and I am still saying it will last a month), so what's the point of getting of 20 of them? Assuming it will last only a month, still 20 means 10 months. Fresh stock will come by another 6 months, won't it?

Vaikuntha, Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  9. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Yes. Crazy.
    Shop owners are also selfish.
    Today our local indian store owner charged 40$ for 5 kg aatta. People have refused to buy it.
    There is a huge discussion going on about this in our Indian fb group about this

Vaikuntha, Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  10. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

I live in Singapore and we have been on alert from end Jan.
    Here the policy has still been and still is - focus on hygiene and on keeping sick people at home, rigorous testing of suspect cases, and contact tracing and Quarantine/Stay Home Notice for close contacts and potential cases. Suspect cases/and Covid-19 patients in Isolation wards in hospitals.

BCP ( Business Continuity Plan) has kicked in at office- so I go to work on alternate day. Schools are running as usual, sports coaching as usual, only inter school sports and gatherings have been stopped. Work with BCP in place- so go to work half the days and work from home the other half. We take the public transport to pretty much come in close contact with strangers every day, I use a surgical mask for travel. So life is pretty much the same, about 10-20% off routine. I went to a mall on a week day noon for some bank work, and I was surprised to see it was kinda crowded ( less than normal though). Precautions we take at home- using hand sanitizer , washing hands thoroughly , shower and change when we reach home , trying to sleep sufficiently and upping Vit C.

With my elderly parents staying with me (70s/80s) I am really worried for them. Sat down with family to explain the isolation wards and how hard and depressing it can be to be cooped up within four walls and no human contact for days together on top flu symptoms. And that we need to be mentally prepared that it could be one of us, and rise to the occasion. And the worse , if one of us gets it the rest will be quarantined and stand a high chance of catching it too. Dad feels so insecure when I travel for a few days. So I dont know how much it will impact him emotionally if I fall sick and am hospitalised. Worse if both hubby and I are.

So yes at times when I think too much , I do get paranoid. DD came from a US trip end of Feb, so I had her self-isolated in her room for 14 days except her going to college. Just yesterday, she completed 14 days , so I can end her room service ( she was hungry and wanted sandwiches at 2am a couple of days , thanks to jet lag ). A big sigh!

Surreal how fluid things are. When she left for US situation in Singapore was a little alarming and when she came back, situation in US is alarming.

I think stocking up a 3-4 weeks worth of basic staples to keep the rest of the family going will help. No need stock piling, dont think stores will run out of supplies, but if one in the family falls sick, main groceries dont have to be a part of your problems.

Hunkering down, and keeping things as normal as possible.

shravs3, Vaikuntha, kkrish and 5 others like this.