Covering gray hair - Vanity or a Need of the Times?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Dec 3, 2015.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

That limited palette is so 20th century.
    I favor hollow-fiber optics with sub-scalp tunable LEDs.:cool:

2. chikksha

chikksha New IL'ite

I think it is both Vanity and a need of the times. I started coloring my hair in my early 30s as I had premature greying even before my second kid was born. I would have pushed back coloring if I had those greys in the non visible part of my head. But unfortunately my greys were right on my temples and along the part.

I feel men look handsome and sexy with their salt and pepper look like George Clooney, Richard Gere and our very own Ajith. Luckily, my husband hates coloring and he sports his salt and pepper look with pride. He says it makes him look matured and intelligent. But as for me I would color my hair until the age of 60 and then look matured with grey.

I hate it when 60 and 70 year olds, both men and women color their hair. Who are they kidding. The face looks old but the hair is jetblack. The worst is when men color their mustache. ewww... Oh yes, also I hate it when some men have just a strands of hair left on their head and they go through the ordeal of coloring those.

MissusShiny, tcbhuvana and Rihana like this.
  3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rihana,
    i have been reading up this thread with interest and nice to hear different opinions on dyeing our hair. But what made me come here in response is this quoted reply. I am in my early 60's. I have been colouring/ dyeing my hair from approxly age 50 I think- as I was working then and felt comfortable and well dressed only when my hair was colored. For the same reason, I continue to colour my hair even after my retirement and especially for occasions such as weddings etc - and it is definitely not to 'kid anyone' into believing I am younger than I actually am. It is purely the feeling of a well groomed look - the feeling of a good hair day. I don't know whether I have conveyed what I mean to say.

5 people like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Grey, in a certain optimum amount : ) mixed with natural dark color does give a sort of distinguished look. But not on all men. Amitabh Bachchan - his grey hair head looks weird. Maybe because that is not a natural grey, not done well, or because he has a beard that is more white. Or, maybe the mind remembers too well his image on the glass-door of every men's barber shop. : )

jetblack hair can look odd, when the black is obviously colored, and not a natural jet-black. But, rather than stop coloring totally, maybe a more natural shade of black is called for.

I am myself guilty of some such 'age based' opinions... When I see Indian women of a certain mature age wear those legging or tights or whatever those new thingummies are called - with a longish tunic top... looks odd to me.

LOL. I did ask a friend once why he does it so badly.. I believe the mush hair is too short, and grows everyday : ) the dye if left on for longer turns darker.

Come now... what's wrong with that.. : ) poor guys.. must feel bad to lose almost all hair...

So the other day I met an Indian/Pakistani person who was coaching a team of teenage boys. He looked bald, and like a 'clean shiny bald' and just some hair at the lower borders of scalp. I quipped, 'you work with so many teenagers, we know how you lost your hair!'

Next time I see him, he has a head full of 1/4 inch white hair. :oops:

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That does seem to be the case with many people. Either when changing jobs, or when the white suddenly looks more obvious, they start to dye, and primary reason is to feel good and confident.

I am glad dyeing is now much more common, and less something that people joke about. Overall, caring about looks, is no longer so looked down upon. Quite the opposite, a minimum amount of grooming is expected.

I think you have conveyed. It is not what others think, it is what we ourselves think of ourselves after whatever visible (or invisible) grooming we do.

1 person likes this.
  6. chikksha

chikksha New IL'ite

Joyloki, I did not mean to hurt your or anybody else's feelings. I was just stating my opinion. Of course, everyone has a right to look the way that makes them feel good. Feeling good about oneself is what its all about as Oprah said .

7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@chikksha,
    no hard feelings. I justc
    I just stated my reasons for going in for regular colouring of my hair. Everyone has a right to their opinion. I myself am guilty of commenting when I come across women who don't dress their age or wear clothes not suited to their body shapes. Yes, I realize now we could just let people dress the way they want if that's what makes them happy.

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Rihana, certainly falls under the category of 'PG' albeit of a different variety. :rotfl

P.S. Oops, posted before reading other replies and noticed that Prof S has interpreted the subject in a similar manner. Sorry Soka.

9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Strictly speaking I don't consider it as a 'need'. It is certainly a matter of one's own perception - not necessarily only vanity. Maybe they need to get used to seeing themselves with grey.

There are many middle aged persons who look young, have a shock of white hair and carry it off so well, not to mention how elegant they look.

1 person likes this.
  10. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

Hello all.

I was randomly looking at posts when I stumbled upon this. Interesting post !!

I join the bandwagon of those who carry their gray hair with comfort. I am 55 and am bestowed with an abundance of gray hair and I enjoy that:)

All my cousins, collegues and friends prod me to color my hair. (My cousins jokingly say that whenever they look at me, they are reminded of their original faces). I do not think it is 'vanity' or 'the need of time' to color your hair. It is like you just go for it naturally...because everyone around does it and you feel more accepted if you have black hair. No doubt one looks young with black hair and all votes for looking young - I totally support that:)

As for me, gray hair is beautiful, easy to manage and I am happy and extremely comfortable being what I am. It neither hampers my performing duties at my office nor does it make me feel un - presentable. Ultimately that is important - being comfortable in your skin with gray hair or otherwise.

Rihana likes this.