Coupons during shopping

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by aparnag, Jan 1, 2013.

1. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Hi all..
    im here for a help..

Me and hubby were in chennai last week and did a bit of shopping in express avenue...
    when we were shopping we filled up some lucky draw coupons and dropped them off..

me and hubby got a call telling we have won some 45 k gifts.. but they say we should come as couples to collect it...
    im clueless on it.. we stay in Arakkonam almost 2 hrs from chennai..
    is it worth it to go all the way to collect...
    is it a kind of some business trick??
    have any of you experienced this??
    please throw some light...:drowning

2. mommynow

mommynow Silver IL'ite

Yes I had this experience...
    In the same express avenue they gave me some coupon to fill without saying any details, just said it is a lucky draw coupon.Actually I didn't fill the coupon, the guy asked my name, my marital status and my phone no. and said if you happen to be the lucky one, we will give you a call.I was busy shopping so I didn't ask more details:hide:

After some days I got a call saying you have won the lucky draw... prize worth of some thousands(I don't remember exactly) and asked me to come to some place with my spouse. That time my DH was not with me so I said we can't come as a couple, then he said thats ok you can send your parents or any of your relatives.I said ok as we are in central chennai..Then he gave the details of the venue and timings. Actually my dad had some work nearby that place,so my parents went..

What happened there was... It was some tourism company itseems... They have called so many couples like this and every one were sitting there... Each couple were assigned a representative asking them to join in their yearly membership costing some lakhs... Actually we do not know whether it is fraud or not but my dad was not interested so he told he will think about it and tell later. One fine thing is that after that no nagging calls from them.

And about the prize, it is a 2 days 3 nights hotel stay somewhere in their resort(there was some conditions i believe, sorry I don't remember) and 30rs worth bowl:rant

I think its not worth to come all the way from your place but if you are interested in travelling you can give it a shot:)

3. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Thanx a lot..
    was wondering if it could be something of this sort!!!
    thank you..

4. angelvoice

angelvoice Gold IL'ite

ya my cousin also went to a office and it was a tourism sale........resort stay blah blah... it is just a sale tactic... not lucky draw and all...she came back...

another friend also got... they went to the office.... and they tried to sell them this resort package...she said that she doesn't want it... and argued with them that she wants a gift... she got a dinner set.... you can also try that way!!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Thank you .....

Im just not wanting to travel for 2 hrs!!!

6. mommynow

mommynow Silver IL'ite

. By the way, why they only call couples?:confused2::confused2:

7. revathijayagopi

revathijayagopi Gold IL'ite

Not only in big malls they have this type of tactics to trap customers to buy their holiday resort membership, nowadays even in small vegetable shops like pazahmudir they have started filling coupons for lucky draw which eventually leads to this. This was common some 15-16 years back but gradually people realised that this was some sort of trap and avoided these things. Now once again these things have started.people have to be alert before giving their personal details to anyone. They call couples, so that the customer do not give any excuse that they will talk to their better half and get back to them and moreover they feel they can easily convince ladies by showing them pictures of resorts etc etc.

2 people like this.