1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cosmetics - Biggest Money Eater

Discussion in 'Cosmetics & Makeups' started by Flutter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Flutter

Flutter Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,

These days so many cosmetic products and brands marketing their item via TV and Magazines ads. When i watch a colorful ad saying hair will be lustrous and shiny, immediately i fell for it and buy that product which is from a good brand name and cost good amount of money. But it is so irritating when the product failed to keep even a small part of it's claim. I am so fed up with branded shampoos, face washes, body baths, under eye cream, whitening scrubs etc etc..

This thread is to post if you use a product for sometime and you feel it meets what it claims. It will be helpful for others to buy before wasting money on experiments.

So far i can vouch for Sunsilk Black shampoo . It makes my hair shiny and bit less frizzy. Pour in Your Suggestions.. :)

2. luvmygirlnbean

luvmygirlnbean Silver IL'ite

Yes totally agree with you. I have a sensitive skin and its difficult to find good products do my skin. I like to do natural as much as I can and try to go organic as much as my budget stretches. One thing I like is burts bee face wash ( 99%chemical free) and I use it every day . Unfortunately I cannot say that for the same brand lipsticks . I have wasted money to buy chemical fee lipstick and all it did was wear away with stains in few minutes.

1 person likes this.
  3. pinki13

pinki13 Gold IL'ite

Oh God, let me share my experience here. As i never get pimples in my life so last year i got really irritated when I start getting them, then I use spot correcter Garnier cream, and some other brands cream as well, but ended up getting my right chick all swallow with red blemishes I have to see that but no choice last week I ended up to dermatologist, he suggested not to use any short of such cream you see in costemic market these things need to be get treated in a better way.

So my suggestion to all of you is Dont jump into any brand and use it in your face. try to use it in ur inner arms then apply on your face if it feels good. :(

1 person likes this.
  4. divshiri87

divshiri87 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am also victim for these products. Used many different shampoos and made my hair worst. I had beautiful soft and thick hair from birth. Now my hair volume is very much reduced. I have used head and shoulders, sunsilk, biotique, himalayas and few other products in shampoos but nothing is good. Now started using shikakai powder which was prepared by me and i could see good change. No need to use conditioners also. Good and best conditioner is coconut milk.
    Used Indhulekha coconut milk shampoo and i feel is it is ok. I will keep this as an option if i dont use shikakai powder.
    And for skin, i had prepared a powder after seeing a thread in IL and really it is helping alot. Restoring my original skin color and its chemical free. Stopped using all creams for face and body.

1 person likes this.
  5. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

I had that issue when I was younger, but as technology and resources improved, so did my means of picking the product and where to buy it from. This forum is a good start!

Before buying, do your research on the ingredients and reviews of folks who have tried the product. These days, there is no shortage of technology and resources to find things like this out so don't deprive yourself of making a more educated purchase.

For me, I began pay attention to ingredients that are in the products I purchase. I try to stay away from anything that has sulfates, parabens or phthalates and gravitate towards items that use ingredients I recognize. Of course, if they have an established brand, that doesn't hurt either. I also try to stay away from drug-store brands — and I've never had a good experience with anything from Garnier. Also ladies, please don't buy products and then never use them. They expire just like food does. Sometimes it also takes products a period of time to "kick in" and you need to give it a couple of weeks (of course, if you have an extreme reaction, then don't ever use it again). Bear in mind that it also doesn't help to keep changing products on your skin no matter how grandiose the promise. That's a surefire way to damage it.

Brands that are consistently tried and true: Fresh, Shiseido, Clinique, Murad, Peter Thomas Roth, Dr. Dennis Gross, Origins and Aveda (especially for hair care) lines. For shampoo, conditioners and body creams — Body Shop has some nice stuff. In India, I think the best I've encountered is Patanjali (they also came out with an active charcoal clay mask which is keeping in line with the new masks you get here). Murad, La Roche Possay, SkinCeuticals and Obagi have good SPF that you should wear on a daily basis no matter if you choose to go with/without makeup.

@pinki13: See if you can get something African Black Soap for those blemishes. It's a tried and true secret beauty solution for many folks... even those with sensitive skin, eczema or psoriasis. It helps heal blemishes, prevent blemishes and clears up any hyperpigmentation. I've had great experiences. The best part is that it's a natural soap with natural ingredients (African Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Oats, Aloe, Plantain Extract, Vitamin E, Essential Oil Blend, Vegetable Glycerin, Palm Ash, Rosemary Extract, Ion Oxides). You can also try natural oils or ingredients like: Seabuckthorn Berry, Neroli, and Tea Tree Oil.

Try to buy from places that are reputable and stand behind their products. For me, this is Sephora because I can return anything that doesn't work out for me within 60 days. I believe Sephora is also opening stores all over India soon.

Here's a youtube channel that I really like. She shows a lot of DIY solutions, too:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5mMrXOo8pjcWEBmXvscx_A

2 people like this.
  6. Flutter

Flutter Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for your lovely suggestions. Even i have started moving towards home made products.

@divishri :

could you please tell me how to make that shikakai powder and face powder ?