Coping with Austin Allergies - handle it? Or move out?

Discussion in 'Indians in Austin' started by Roshni, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Roshni

Roshni Local Champion Staff Member Senior IL'ite

Austin has been rated top on allergies year over year. Cedar, Oak, Mold and more. You name it and Austin has it. Every Fall and Winter has been getting worse. The allergy medicines that worked the previous year doesn't seem to work this year.

Some say those who weren't born here and moved in only will be prone to allergies living here for 5+ years. My husband has allergies, uses nasal spray, gets severe coughs if not. For me, my eyes get puffed and start draining without allergy drops. Worst days we have to get some zyrtec too.

How are you all managing? Do kids born here also pickup these seasonal allergies?

Regards,
    Roshni

2. simi

simi Junior IL'ite

Hi Roshni,

Oh talk about Allergies in Austin...we can go on and on. In spring pollen is another problem.

My kids are born here, still one has severe allergies, while the other is fine so far. However I have also heard those who move to Austin catch some allergies in 5+ years. We have been managing with different kinds of allergy medicines.

Recently a friend of mine said, taking local honey every day in the morning in empty stomach helps to fight allergies over a period of time. Atleast keep it low. So we have been trying it.

Given the other advantages in Austin - family friendly place, good for raising kids, great schools, parks and places to visit, less traffic compared to some other cities, less sales tax (uff there's property taxes though) and affordable home prices, we are happy in Austin :)

Best wishes,
    Simi

1 person likes this.
  3. Roshni

Roshni Local Champion Staff Member Senior IL'ite

Hi Simi,

Thanks for your response. May be we should try the local honey method. Being a natural method should not hurt in anyways.

Regards,
    Roshni

4. vani

vani Junior IL'ite

Hi,

Not all natives are allergy-free. They are relatively more immune to the pollens and molds, that's it.
    Those who move into Austin, don't have significant allergy problems until after they have lived here for awhile. By that time they would have made substantial commitments like jobs, properties and friendships. So picking up and moving might not be the best alternative!

Have you guys tried getting allergy shots? Taking seasonal allergy shots regularly, makes it manageable to handle the symptoms atleast, if not cure the allergies. While they may be annoying, you can learn to deal with the downside and still enjoy living here most of the time :)

Regards,
    Vani

5. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

I am moving to austin in july with 1 year baby . Should I take some precaution medicine before coming there. or should I meet a paediatrician as soon as I come there ..
    Will people get allergies only after staying upto 5 years in Austin ?Please let me know

6. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

How is july month in case of allergies

7. vani

vani Junior IL'ite

Hi Harini,

Like I posted above, not all natives are allergy-free and not all who move into Austin pick-up allergies. So don't worry! Also it takes a while to pick-up allergies after being exposed to the allergens.

July is mostly subsiding of Spring allergies (Grass pollen) and starting of Summer/Fall allergies (Mold/Elm).

Just come with general medicines for your baby (for fever, cold/cough, etc.) and once you settle in you can find a pediatrician here for her well-checks and if sick.

Welcome to Austin sooner!

Vani

1 person likes this.
  8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I take local bee pollen here in the northeast which is also a bad allergy location. You start with couple grains each day and work up to a teaspoon but you have to be really careful. It works like a full spectrum allergy shot.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rin123

Rin123 Senior IL'ite

Is it possible some people may never get allergies in Austin? We are moving to Austin after selling our house in loss for better life (better weather, cost of living, taxes, better house). I am scared to read this. Is it work to move Austin after all this financial loss?

10. simi

simi Junior IL'ite

Hi Rin,

The intent of this discussion was not to scare people away from Austin.

Yes, I've seen many people here without allergies and I've also seen people here managing allergies nicely :) One thing I have noticed is that those who have sensitive skin, breathing disorders (like wheezing, asthma, etc.) and other problems like sinus, migrain, etc. are more prone to allergy infections.

So no worries, Austin has many great things to offer like affordable cost of living, safe and friendly place for family and raising kids, etc. If you get allergies, you have to work around a little to manage it, there is no free lunch anywhere, isn't it? In other allergy-free places there might be something else!

Best wishes with your move,
    Simi