1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Range

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by coolsandy, Sep 21, 2014.

1. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

I was just wondering how many of you use cooking range in India? As in cooktop with oven and grill built within it? Do you know of someone who is using it in India? Kindly share your/their experiences.

2. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

I am talking about something like this.

Naida

Need your inputs.... Whoever is using it, kindly share some info

3. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

I am still waiting waitingsmiley

4. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

In India, we mostly find the regular stoves unlike a complete cooking range which are actually such a luxury. I myself have used a cooking range all the time we were abroad. When I just asked my MIL if we copuld switch over to a range, her answer was.....but where is the space and who will clean such a big one???
    But yes, I would any day prefer a range.

1 person likes this.
  5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

The quality of any baked goods between a cooking range and a small counter top electric oven is quite a lot. You can make all kinds of cookies, cakes, breads, baked meats, ....list is endless if you have the full size range. In cool and rainy times baked food is very comforting and also oven warms the house a little. I would put a full size range if I was living in India full time.

2 people like this.
  6. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

rkg, thank you for the inputs. yes, space is a constraint, esp if living in rented place.

tashidelek2002

thanks for the inputs. so, apart from baking stuff, can we use the this to heat food as we do in microwave oven? :D #justasking

7. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

so, if I have enough space, is it really worth investing in a range? I am not much into baking n cakes stuff, but I might probably start once I get a range. May be not frequently enough but I guess I would start baking lot of veggies or may be I might reduce deep fried foods with their resp baked ones. #goodIdea?

8. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

My mother has a cooking range. Has 3 gas burners and one hotplate. The oven is also gas. That is the one she has been using for the past 12 years or so. No major complaints. But I do not know the brand.

As far as your question regarding re-heating this is what she does to food she has kept in the freezer. She usually sets it out in the morning and then keeps it on some mid level setting in the oven. Sometimes the dishes taste better after this :) But make sure the containers are either steel or some other metal that is heat proof. Some oven proof glass dishes are also available.

But all in all a totally useful appliance. My mother insisted on one when parents returned to India. And the one they have is pretty compact. They have a very small kitchen, but she still keeps it there.

1 person likes this.
  9. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

DK1, thank you for your inputs. 12 years is a very long time, I must say. And your mom sure has a good choice.

and material info was great too. Will surely keep in mind when I purchase one. Seeing positive responses here, I am more eager to buy one. :)

10. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

I would say....Go for it!!!

1 person likes this.