1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Pulses in microwave

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Apr 9, 2009.

1. nova09

nova09 New IL'ite

I agree ---pressure cooker seems to work best for me.

2. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hi MeenLoch,

I would like to add that I have cooked Fresh Green Peas in Microwave.

For 1 Cup Green Peas :
    Add just enough water.

Micro 100% High for 5-8 minutes. Stir after every 2 minutes

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Do any of you use a slow cooker for dal? I know of Indian cooks that like this as they say it is like the slow cooking done in villages in olden days. You can just leave it all day while you are at work or doing other things.

4. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

I use microwave cooker to make dhals also,just wash & soak the dhal for 10 min in the water u r going to cook,use microwave cooker,medium 20-25 min .Dhal will be done.I have even used it to cook channa & Rajma,its fine.For fresh green peas do not microwave for long or it will be dehydrated.

5. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

I've heard of slow cooking though i haven't tried it myself. A friend of mine uses slow cooker to make Dal Makhani. And I bet thats the yummiest dal makhani I have had.

6. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Tina, I'm a cookware/utensil freak. You and smart_soul have inspired me to buy a slow cooker now ;-) How is slow cooker different from crockpot? Any idea of which brand is better(sorry its a bit of deviation from the actual topic though)

I make dhals in pressure cooker/pan, sometimes pre-soaked sometimes not (shall I blame my laziness??? :bonk). Soaking not only cuts down cooking time but the unwanted flatulence that's caused by lentils.

Happy cooking :rotfl

-Uma

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Uma:
    Crockpot and slow cooker are the same thing. The most popular kind is Rival but you can look around at other options. Some of the pricey new types combine in all sorts of ways. You should figure out how much volume you need. The bigger ones are usually 4 quart and you will want to get one with a removeable liner. There is a really good new one with a locking lid that is great if you go to potlucks (no spills in the car). There is an oval one now that will accommodate a chicken. If you don't need that size smaller ones are also available. Let me know how you do with it. You just switch it on in the morning and leave it on all day...takes very little energy.

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot Tina, will add slow cooker to my shopping list and will try to hunt for a bargain.

-Uma

9. geetasami

geetasami New IL'ite

I usually cook dhals in pressure cooker....nothing to beat it.

10. PRIYASHRIYA

PRIYASHRIYA New IL'ite

HI,

It is best to cook in Pressure cooker. U can soak dhal for 15 min and keep it upto 4 whistles for getting better results

Moong dhal can be also be cooked in the same method.