1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking done with care is an act of love."

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Apr 26, 2012.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

"Cooking is an art and patience a virtue... Careful shopping, fresh ingredients and an unhurried approach are nearly all you need. There is one more thing - love. Love for food and love for those you invite to your table. With a combination of these things you can be an artist - not perhaps in the representational style of a Dutch master, but rather more like Gauguin, the naïve, or Van Gogh, the impressionist. Plates or pictures of sunshine taste of happiness and love."
    Keith Floyd, ‘A Feast of Floyd’

My latest passion is to cook different varieties everyday and see the smile on my dh's face if the dish turns out well. Google is always there to help us whenever we want to cook something new.

I dont think of what to cook a day in advance but decide only in the morning. For breakfast usually we have chapathies and the vegetable which is cooked for lunch only hve it with chapathi. I like to finish the cooking in the morning itself so that I need not enter the kitchen again and can take rest. After retirement there is no hurry in cooking as I am not in a hurry to go to office . Earlier used to get up at 5.30 a.m and by 7 a.m or 7.15 a.m. finish the cooking and then rush to office. Now also though I can cook breakfast first and then leisurely cook for lunch but still instead of starting early start cooking at 7 a.m after taking bath and finish by 8.00 a.m. or 8.30 a.m. depending on the menu. I like to cook with good cominations. I am a foodie myself and like to eat variety of dishes. When I give breakfast to my dh wait for his comments whether the dish is good and feel happy when I see the smile on his face.

Night we have snacks only and there also like to have varieties like dosa, adai, pongal, kozakattai . The day I prepare avial for lunch make adai in the night as adai and avial are good combinations. With dosa sometimes make onion and tomato chutney and if nothing is there milagapodi is there . My son likes dosa with milagapodi inside. When I went to Kerala got Ponni rice from there so with that make dosa, adai, pongal and also made dosa grinding ponni rice and chakkai varaty which I got from kerala.

So dearies I invite you all to my house and taste my food and tell me whether you like it or not.

"Some people like to paint pictures, or do gardening, or build a boat in the basement. Other people get a tremendous pleasure out of the kitchen, because cooking is just as creative and imaginative an activity as drawing, or wood carving, or music."
    Julia Child

P.S. As usual wanted to write something in snippets and today made myself happy writing about cooking

1 person likes this.

2. Nargisshaik

Nargisshaik Bronze IL'ite

Good Writing mam....

3. iyerviji

Nargis dear thanks for the first and fast fb

4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vitamin Viji aunty,

I am with you....:cheers

In our home, I try varieties and never miss to add 'love' in all the dishes....

Both my DH and DS love my cooking.:)

Adai-Avaiyal....ever famous, favorite dish....I love that, but both of them are "Idli bootham"s ......what to do......I try and make different chutneys for Idlis and enjoy my cooking .( I donot like idlis though....:bonk..)

1 person likes this.
  5. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viji aunty, very nice write up. You remind me of my Mom and MIL, they prefer to get the work done all in the morning..sure sure coming to your home for lunch..

My 3 year old likes milagai podi and dosai combination very much..so i don't have to take pains to make chutney all the time..MY DH likes to eat variety if it is there, but never complains if the usual combo is not there.
    If rasam and curd is there, he is all set. Since on weekdays it gets busy for me to get to work and take care of my little one, I try to make my cooking elaborate on the weekends with varieties..

1 person likes this.
  6. Flyhighbluesky

Flyhighbluesky Silver IL'ite

Dear Viji aunty,
    That was a lovely post! you always make me ponder on my life... how it was and how it is!!...
    I was one who thought of cooking as art and would always do experiments and love to hear what others think.. but now (5th year into marriage)... I have lost interest in cooking! :-( I find it burdensome and boring although i do it.. I rarely add love! I wonder if its possible to fall back in love with cooking???!!!!!! :)

Love,
    Jelin

1 person likes this.
  7. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

Nice post Viji Aunty. My mom says the something as your post title.

The food has to be prepared with love and care. It is the source of energy and our love/care should reflect in the food, we serve.

I tried to follow her advise. Doesn't matter, how busy I am, I do pay attention to what I prepare and serve it to my DH with utmost love/respect.

1 person likes this.
  8. iyerviji

Bhargavi dear thanks for your appreciation. Glad you also try varities and add love in all the dishes. Hope one day I will also get a chance to taste your dishes. Glad your dh and ds love your cooking.

.I think most of us love adai and aviyal combination. I also do not like idli much , like dosa more. My son likes dosa with milagapodi spread inside. Today he had come home and made crispy dosa with fresh milagapodi inside.

9. iyerviji

Vidu dear glad you liked the write up. Good to know that your mil and mom also like to finish cooking in the morning itself. I will be waiting for your visit.

My son also likes milagapodi spread inside the dosa, today only I had made crispy dosa with milagapodi inside and he enjoyed it. Now only your 3 year old likes milagapodi and dosa combination. Glad that your dh never complains, you are lucky to have a husband like him. For working women weekends only they can do elaborate cooking. I can undertand since I was also a working woman and worked for 38 years

1 person likes this.
  10. iyerviji

Jelin dear thanks fo ryour appreciation. Dontworry soon you will fall back in love with cooking. Try to add love and cook and see the result