1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

converting to non-vegetarian--- Is it really required?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by amnilakshmi, Oct 21, 2013.

1. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I have been a vegetarian for more than 12 years. Basically there was no specific reason for me to stop eating non-veg but after 12 years of being a vegetarian, I feel I have become very weak compared to all my friends and relatives who are still non-vegetarians.

I am anemic and I am very tired whole day long. I have started taking up iron rich food but no use. I have gone to the extent of thinking of resigning my job because of my fatigue issue. Secondly I am pregnant and this is my second baby. I didn't have much milk to feed when my son was born. I am worried because I don't want my second baby to also face the same problems. I am not sure if becoming a non-vegetarian can actually help in more milk production but this is what I have heard from elders.

Now, ladies please suggest me if it is a good idea to switch over to non-veg diet. I really feel very depressed and guilty to go back but coz of these two things I am still in dilemma...

2. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

3. Ana12

Ana12 Gold IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi..
    Food habit is of each individuals own comfort.. Normally vegetarians when try to change they find it difficult to adjust to the taste/smell etc...So u can try as per ur choice.
    However in my knowledge vegetarian food has enough nutrient we needed for our healthy living. U can try increase ur protein intake by using paneer etc..

4. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

If you feel like starting non-veg will help you to get over fatigue then why not? You are pregnant, so do the best for you. Why dont you increase few nuts and milkshakes.. if they agree with your digestive system. You should never compromise when it comes about your health and when you are pregnant.

5. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

I am pure vegeterian (no egg even) and I didn't find any health problem so far. Some of the non veg food are rich in protien than veggies but I guess same can be filled with veggies as well. For example, you said you had iron deficiency, that can be cured by Spinach(try raw spinach with lemon juice and tomato, I love this as my salad) and banana (I never took supplements other than during pregnancy). For protien, use dals in all meal .

6. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Amni, it is not an entirely bad idea to try a non-vegetarian diet to see if it helps improve your health. We are all different, and it is possible that you may need meat sources of protein to boost your energy and improve the way your body metabolizes nutrients.

However, if eating meat is going to cause you great spiritual distress, then maybe you can look at ways of improving your vegetarian diet. I've met plenty of vegetarians who have no idea that most COMPLETE proteins are meat proteins (with a few exceptions, like algae and quinoa). In order to make a vegetarian meal a complete protein, you have to eat certain veg proteins in combination. This link

What's a Complete Protein? Inquiring Vegetarians Want to Kno

should explain it better, and help you to put your meals together more efficiently.

If you do want to eat meat for health, a good place to start is eggs. Eggs are really a perfect food in terms of nutrients, and not as bad for cholesterol as is commonly believed. I have also had a lot of female Indian vegetarians tell me that they can't stand the smell of eggs. Not sure why this happens to them, but eggs only smell bad if they are stale (too long in the fridge, reheated, leftovers, etc.) or overcooked. Good organic, free range eggs are reasonably priced and a very versatile ingredient in many Indian and other dishes (also good for breakfast, lunch, or supper).

I am a meat eater, and I can tell you that from time to time, I crave red meat and feel stronger and more vital after eating it. This is especially true because as women, menstruation and pregnancy tends to deplete our iron levels at a faster rate than happens for children and men.

At the end of the day, it is important be practical and think of your health. You can always experiment a little and see what works for you. It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing kind of experience. Ease into your meat-eating, or improve your vegetarian diet. Good luck!

7. malarg

malarg Senior IL'ite

Where did you learn that vegetarian people woul get tired easily ?

1 person likes this.
  8. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

I'm a vegetarian. My office colleague used to tease me saying that she being a meat eater falls sick quiet often whereas I don;t . Also I can withstand cold whereas she is from Russia and she can't. She keeps asking me if I take supplements and how I maintain my fitness. Basically eat healthy be in vegetarian or non-veg. I eat all vegetables and my diet has so much of protein.

Similar to Malar's question where did you lean veg people are weak. After 9hrs of desk job, I do my yoga daily, cooking, cleaning, walking and few other things

9. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

As a first step, supplement your veggie diet with fish...