Conversations in an elevator

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by people0skills, Aug 25, 2014.

1. people0skills

people0skills Bronze IL'ite

Most of the times, not many conversations happen in an elevator. Sounds just right and I like it that way too. Sometimes there can be unexpected things that can happen and my experiences in the office premises is more than conventional.

There is this unknown colleague(I call him colleague, coz he wears the same tag that I wear and unknown coz he is a stranger to me... I never met him or seem him before), who once spoke to me very abruptly in an elevator. You must be from so and so consultants...(we were deployed in some other company premises). I said no. He went on to extend the topic and tried asking everything which embarrassed me very much. One of which was, "I always see you going alone". God knows on what part of the Earth he had seen and I am least bothered about it. I just came off from that fellow and since then observing that he is observing me a lot. Stares at me, from the corner of his eyes, gawd knows what.. again, he is a middle aged man, married with kids. Again, I know, such things should be avoided and I deeply regret that I am not a 'attitude-showing' woman. How do I handle such pests?

And the other worse thing I get to hear is, when I am asking to excuse myself to come out of the lift, there is some stranger saying aloud "excused" AND with a sarcastic tone. What a jerk. Okay, I can definitely make out what is sarcasm and what is a pleasant reply. Not that it bothers me but I am eager to know what are your baddy baddy experiences in an elevator? OR for that matter parking slots, canteen,..all inside office premises. I have explicitly written this point because, I have most of the times seen people pleasantly replying, 'oh.. sure' or 'okay' or they just make way.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Umanga likes this.

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

3. people0skills

Nope. I am in Hyderabad

4. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

Just ignore such people. If they try to strike up a conversation, smile and say - I'm running late. And get down at the next available floor. If people respond aloud "excused", you can respond aloud "disgusting" or "rude". If they try to get personal, smile sarcastically and say -(You are asking) Too many questions ???
    I have never faced these situations with strangers at workplace.

1 person likes this.
  5. people0skills

The dialogue part seems to be ok, but I can definitely anticipate what such people would retort if I get off at next immediate floor, like say.. may be you forgot this is not our floor, or they would literally point out,,, this is so and so floor... gawd... I am not that imaginary but yes, such people are so easily predictable. Any single dialogue from me would only worsen the situation and they would really pester me. :(

6. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Download the fake call app, this has app has saved me so many times, once u have tht app, one button u press on ur phn, ur phn will recieve a fake call, n u cantake that call, or say u r getting a call, important call, got to take this call, this has saved ne innumerable unwanted conversation with all kinds of ppl!

sumzaya and people0skills like this.
  7. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I'd retort in a jocular, drawled out, imitating his accent in a louder voice "THANK QUED" while stepping out of the elevator.

(Not advising you to do though, I never landed in any trouble except for chuckles from rest on these elevator repartees so don't blame me later)

3 people like this.
  8. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

:mrgreen: Gud one aria!!

9. people0skills

lol... how much I wish I could do that... but in the office premises, how professional would that be??? #justwondering

but have you ever had interaction with a typical, rural accent, urban living, feels so great working in IT corporate sector, kinda guys???? they can drag others as low as they can and get us filled with dirty mud...

btw, let me see, if I can gather guts to utter "tq-ed".. I am already mimicking it.. :D

10. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Can't classify categorically guys who play that prank in elevators in this category. Some are mischievous, some are tetchy, some are flustered at the end of the day and next thing here comes that Elle Woods according to them. Anyways as I mentioned it depends on your personality I'd not advise this to you, may be it suits someone who is more diabolical than that corner guy in beret who thinks he can have the last laugh, and then you steal the thunder away!

P.S: Also practise that throwback flick of hand along with the drawl when you utter.

1 person likes this.