Constipating During Pregnancy!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Archanaanchan, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Hello IL's,

I am 14 weeks pregnant .I have been put on Iron supplements off late since the recent tests confirmed my Iron levels were low. Since I've been on Iron supplements, I have been having constipation issues . I make sure to eat at least two fruits a day ( pear, kiwi, orange, sometimes a Mango, berries ) and drink plenty of water. I eat prunes 2-3 alternate days and include raw cucumbers and carrots in Lunch. In spite of this, my constipation hasn't got any better .

Asking suggestions !

Naari, Amica, Sunburst and 3 others like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

congrats on your pregnancy @Archanaanchan .

iron supplements are hard on the gut and hence constipation.

ask for a change in brand.

drinking plenty of water, including more fiber in the form of greens and mild walking can help..

Archanaanchan likes this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Congrats, Archu:) Iron supplements are known to create constipation. Would it be possible to get your iron mainly from greens, vegetables and sprouts and reduce tablets? Or speak to your doctor and get safe stool softeners. See if Psyllium husk/isabgol would be okay. Please consult your doctor before trying anything.

4. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Congrats dear...:) if you tried many things then i would suggest you to try buttermilk too. It might help you. Geeta suggested many ways to take that. Also try to wait upto the time you feel heavy pressure. Take as much fluids as you can and walk for sometime.

5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Hey Archu !
    Congratulations and take care of your health . Happy news....:)

6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Congrats Archu :hearteyes:. For constipation you can try soaking dry Figs 1 or 2 ,overnight with some water . next day morning drink only the water which was soaked and evening have the fruit too . Repeat for few days ! It has iron and fibre content too. I really tried and it did work . And I don’t know if you can eat figs while you are conceived so here is the link you can refer too which says its totally safe ....

5 Unexpected Health Benefits Of Eating Figs (Anjeer) In Pregnancy

The benefits of figs of pregnant women - November 2010 Babies | Forums | What to Expect

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Archanaanchan and nandinimithun like this.
  7. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Soak black raisins overnight. in the morning eat these soaked black raisins. Also increase fiber intake and water.

8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Congrats!!

Try 'Slow Release Iron' tablets. (google it). Ask for it. It is gentle than the usual iron tablets .

I was also very sensitive to iron and suffered a lot. Finally my Gyno give me prenatal with stool softeners. Still it was of not much use. You can also try fiber supplements like 'Metamucil'. If nothing works try stool softener like 'colace' (I took it many times during my pregnancy). Please ask your doctor about it before taking any. Soaking your bottom (sitz bath) in warm water just before BM may also help to relax muscles there.

During my second pregnancy I took slow release iron with prenatal vitamins (over the counter drugs), not prescriptions, based suggestions by my family doctor. I didnt face any issue.

Eat lot of vegetables and fruits
    Take care.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations Archana! I had the same problem. As the previous poster suggested, if the natural remedies don't work, ask your doctor about switching to Slow Fe. It's a slow release over the counter iron supplement. It really helped me with my problem.

AbinayaAnand and Archanaanchan like this.
  10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on mini sakkare archoo ! :hearteyes: . I second the slow release tablets , helped me .