Consequence of saying "NO" . Am I wrong.

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by raki, Jan 21, 2012.

1. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

Hi frnds....

I am writing this thread bcoz i am very disturbed currently.

This is because of an incident that happened at my workplace yesterday.

In my project we have two teams. I belong to Support team. But still have to report to Dev team's lead (lets call him X). This has been agreed by the Management.

We have everyday status meetings, where we discuss wat wrk we do fr that day.

Since the appraisal processhas begun we are also expected to do some reports abt what wrk we did for 2011, quality of wrk etc.
    The Dev Manager (lets call him Y) to whom we all report including X lectured us for 1.5 hrs in a meeting that we shud do it..its very important.....Take one day off from your daily work and complete it.

I had requested X yesterday's meeting that i will be preparing this reports. Wont take up any new task on friday. Will start the new task on monday. He didnt oppose it neither did he approve it. I had also sent a mail on thursday abt the same for which he didnt comment in Friday's meeting.

But later X again assigned me some other work which he refered as high priority. This was strange, he never brought this up in the daily meeting. Then how come all of a sudden it pops up as a high priority task. He told the reports are not important. Do it late someother day.

The problem is everyday the word "high priority" is used. We are not allowed to attend any trainings bcoz according to X, thr is some or the othr High priority task In fact we were recalled from the trainings stating some work might come up and we shud be available at any time if any work arises.We cannot take leaves which we planned months earlier bcoz again thr is a high priority task. So we are never allowed to say "NO". I did this friday and he is creating such a big scene.

I questioned him as to why the manager (Y) lectures us for 1.5 hrs to complete it and where as X tells it is not important. I said the views they are putting forward are like opposite faces of a coin. I meant their views are dead opposite.

For this X changed the complete story and sent a mail to my support lead stating i called him double faced.

He is exaggarating and making it look like I called him things. I never used those words. But I said the views were dead opposite..like opposite faces of a coin.

Now i dont know what to do. Please help me. I have requested a meeting with my Support lead on Monday to tell what exactly we spoke.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

2. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

I hope i am not too late in responding...

I would suggest you to call a meeting with both the Support Lead and the Dev Manager Y. Take a print out of the emails between you and X. Explain to them where the conflict actually started: X asking you to stop working on the report which Y mentioned was very important.

Once you clarify that you have not called X any names in the emai, bring it to their notice that you are always "high priority" tasks everyday by X. You dont need to explain to them but having "high priority" or "urgent" tasks everyday represents poor planning.

3. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

Hi Orion,

Thank you for replying. There was no email exchanged about stopping report. Just verbal communication. X is very clever.

today i explained my Support Lead and Manager that i didnt use the word double faced...and what actually happened.

The best part is X is the one who will be giving my appraisal feedback for last year...:hide:

I think most of the mgrs are happy with staff who do not react and jus listen to what evr they say. I always try my best not to raise any issues or question abt the ways things are handled..but end up doing it:bonk

Once Again thanks lot for replying....

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

My responses inline...

3 people like this.
  5. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

Hi Orion,

We have too many mgrs....i explained these things to Big boss ( Mgr of Y's Mgr). Big boss told send a mail telling what u said . I did and then he replied thanku for the clarification. Wil take this up separately...

I know u must be getting very confused.Witsend

X and Y are like two ppl same soul...so nothing much can be done.In fact when X sent a mail Y was right thr..they discussed before sending the mail. its always lik that. Y tells us attend trainings and X tells Y has asked me not to approve any trainings. Y tells finish off ur pending leaves, X tells we cannot approve ur leaves bcoz we have a release.:bang

I do send mails jus to be safer side....but they feel very insecure..they tell y mail we can jus talk...dont be so formal....

I am getting released frm my current prjct in april....so very less chance of gud appraisal.....

But i am prepared for it.

Sometimes wen i think of al these things i feel thr r so many othr ppl facing much bigger prbs..this is nothing when compared to those...thats how i convince myself.

6. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Wish you a great future project and a reasonable manager :cheers

7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Yup, document, document, document! Can't stress how valuable that is... in any job.

8. passionate89

passionate89 Platinum IL'ite

Documentation is the only proof!!!!!!!!!!!! even if verbal communication occurs, send an email stating "As per our discussion, etc etc.."

9. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

hi Orion,passionate89,teacher...thanku for ur inputs...

10. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

Yes.. Pls document it whatever the communication... Keep everything professional for the safe side. Btw, we have been always advised to obey/listen to our immediate supervisors and not his supervisor (the big boss). If we have any issues in this set up only, we need to take this officially to the big one.

In your case, if the X (your immediate boss) wants you to do some high priority work done before you touch the performance appraisal (as per Y, the big boss), then you better do what X says and not what Y says. But make sure that you have documents to prove that you wanted to do the appraisal, but due to circumstances you had to take up this high priority one. You can even send the mail to X by CC'ing to Y. So, both will understand what is going on...

X is ultimately going to appraise you and a tiff between you people will damage many things. Since your boss request you to prioritize things in a certain way, you are not answerable to Y for not doing the appraisal part on time.. Only X needs to answer for this, and you can just point him for this matter... Here you are safe!