Confusion regarding my baby shower

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by baby boom, Jun 4, 2010.

1. baby boom

baby boom New IL'ite

Hello Dear Ladies,

I am currently entering my 7month of pregnancy.....should say 28weeks. I am just having this big time confusion regarding my baby shower. I am planning to have it on June20th. It is going to be in a typical Indian way...that is both valaikappu and seemantham togather. Also since this is a traditional function I am planning to keep it simple and call only few friends since it is between 6am to 9am in the morning and also plannign to have it in the temple whic is kinda small. So I dont know how many ppl will show up and how many will be interested in staying for the pooja and other rituals done in proper manner which might take time. Now my question is I also would really like to have another baby shower in typical american way. Like have shower games and cut a nice shower cake and all that....I am planning to do this in July......like around the 15th.....does this sound like a nice idea or do you guys think this would be too much......

2. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Dear babyboom,

Just dropped in to say a hi. Howz you and your 'LO' doing?

3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

baby boom

Congratulations. Looks like you and I will be delivering at almost the same time :) I complete 28 weeks tomorrow!

That is exactly what I did with my seemandham and valaikaapu this past week. I just called a few close friends for the seemandham which included the parents of a friend so that there was some older person to give us instructions on what to do. So we first had the valaikaapu function while the priest was getting things ready for the pooja and homam and the aunty arranged the bangles and made me wear them. After that we had the seemandham pooja and the homam for which all the friends stayed. I don't know how they will do it at your temple, but here, I wore madisar for the first pooja (called udhaga shanthi) and then after a little water bath, the priest asked me to change into another saree. So I would suggest you to take an extra saree with you. We also had the function at the temple and avoided having it at home for precisely the reason that we'd have to end up calling too many people early in the morning and arrange for food etc.

For the baby shower that included all the rest, my friends gave me a surprise shower, so that kinda covered everyone. So having a religious function and a separate baby shower worked really well for us.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. baby boom

baby boom New IL'ite

thanks a bunch pear tree.......you suggestion helped a lot......will let you know soon what my plan is....

5. baby boom

baby boom New IL'ite

Hi Radha.....I am doing fine ....how r u and how far along are u...

6. cool09

cool09 Senior IL'ite

Hi friends

Can someone please guide me as to how to go about doing a traditional seemandham in US..how long will the function last and how much will it cost..Can we do the puja at home or is it better to do it at the temple..even i will be inviting very few friends since the seemandham muhurtham will be done early morning..then did u have the baby shower function whre in u invite all your friends or everything gets over at the temple..Hope someone can throw some light on this..

7. baby boom

baby boom New IL'ite

Hi Cool09,

If you want to conduct a traditional seemandham then its better to go to a priest and get it done...bcoz if you also do not have any elders then it would better to have a priest who will be able to give u a general guideline. So this is my plan...I am going ahead with my traditional babyshower with a few friends...probably older friends and then have another babyshower which will have all other friends......like ppl at work....etc etc.....so hope this helps u out too...

8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

cool09... it depends on what scale you want to do the traditional function. As babyboom mentioned, the best person to contact is the hindu temple (If there's any in your area) and check the temple's website. They usually have all the details of the different services (read Poojas/Homams etc). and also how much it would cost. At least in the temple here, there are separate charges for performing it at the temple and at home that needs to be paid to the temple and then the priest's dakshina is separate. So contact the temple or the priest, that would be the first step. All the best!

9. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Baby Boom,

I had both the traditional and the american way of baby shower. But the traditional one was at home..I called only 3 ladies for the traditional function and I made sure that they came home for that...For the american way I called rest of the friends (about 30 people) and I got the cake, played baby shower games and dinner...

Both of them were fun..

Enjoy!