1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Confused and Clueless!! Need a third person point of view...

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by testmypatience, Sep 26, 2014.

1. testmypatience

testmypatience Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I have been a regular reader of this forum and have witnessed some great pieces of advice coming here. I need an outsiders point of view in my situation. Please bear with me, as this is going to be a lengthy post.

A brief introduction, ours is an arranged marriage and we have been married for past 6 years. To the outside world, we have a perfect life!! I have a 5 year old DD.
    Both of are in IT field. For the past two years, I have been working full time. However, my husband is not, since his Visa is not letting him work.

Coming to the issue, very often I see my husband complaining about one thing or other about time. The list goes on like this..
    1. I am not being responsible enough to look after the family finances (I am the only earning member).
    2. I am not cooking good food, not enough variety, not tasty, can never make up to the level of my MIL. ( I cook two meals a day, working full time, where he stays at home whole day.)
    3. I do not care for him much. ( Read - making snacks in the evening, making tea two times for him.)
    4. I am learning to drive now. (The driving hours are continuous yelling sessions).

Over the last two years, our physical intimacy is like once in two/ three months.
    He is very short tempered at home. To the outer world, he is most polite man one could ever see. With me, he is never polite. Recently, this is continuing with my DD as well. He has started disciplining her for almost everything, which she find very irritating.

He started taking his thyroid medication for past few months. But I am unsure, whether to correlate all this to hormonal imbalance or some thing else.

I try to be very patient, thinking, joblessness is making him do all this. But, I can't be sure, because even when we were in India, when he was working full time, I have seen all this, on and off.

Sometimes, he is fine and given a chance, he starts his complaining non stop.

2. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

I think he is feeling depressed. He has to find a job. That will surely keep him occupied.

my 2 cents

3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

he perhaps is extremely i satisfied with life and gets his high by putting you and your daughter down. You need to stop taking this lying down.

Sit him down and talk to him. Or tell him firmly that his behaviour of constantly nit-picking is ruining your family's peace; he needs to go with you for counselling sessions. it is time for some tough love... You need to speak up as you need to be a proper role model for your little one.

Also id suggest that you stop bending over backwards to please him. Tell him kindly but firmly that you need his help with running the house. He needs to grow up. That's all.

4 people like this.
  4. testmypatience

Continuation....

Sometimes I feel like, his needs and demands are endless, I am never going to reach the level.. But, all these constant criticism is making me feel that, I am incapable of doing anything properly. But that is not true! Though, I am aware of the fact, my mind is become numb and is starting to accept, whatever he claims about me.

Sometimes, I read up articles about Narcissists. I doubt whether he is one. But, I am not sure. In the past so many years, I have never seen him appreciating me for anything.

Few instances, were I was criticized for something and I achieved it, with great difficulty:

1. We use to live in joint family and I took a break for one year, when my DD was born. Rejoined my work, and as we know, working full time in India is so stressful. I used to travel for almost 4 hours in a day to and fro. Having an infant, working full time and travel, I always found cooking a very tough task. I think it is natural for anybody, who has gone through it. However, somehow he was always disappointed that I am not cooking much at home. Of course, my MIL was responsible for the damage. I stood by decision and have tried reasoning out to him about how unfair it is expect that from me.
    Sometimes, he would look like he understood, but deep down his heart, he is dissatisfied about it. Scenario changed, when moved to another country. I am the one who is doing everything here. I may not be amazing cook, but not that bad as well. Lot of my friends and colleagues have appreciated the food and liked it. So I can at least be sure that I am an average cook. I never repeat any dish before 15 days. Is it not good enough for someone working full time?

But, he is always ready to point out that, it is not enough.

2. When I took a break, of course, he constantly asking me to start looking for a job and continue my career. Which is good.. No doubt! Once done, and I was working hard to gain my stature at work, he would be like "You are working so much, but u really don't know, how to ask for a raise. Look at the world, how people are getting onsite opportunities. You are not good enough to ask for one. Why do you have to work like this? etc" That was a right statement. I really din't know negotiation at that point. I took it as a challenge and I am here. He has made statements like "You are the reason why we aren't getting to go abroad." Which is totally unfair. But still I thought, it was my responsibility too, to work towards the financial upliftment of my family. When I asked him about, what his plans would be, he promised about taking up higher education and giving it a try etc. But, after we came here, I don't see him that motivated to enroll for a PG. However, still he never misses a beat to tell me that, I am not being paid enough, or why I am not demanding for GC processing from my employer. Or whatever I am doing is not enough.

How do I take this trait of him? Or how can I only take the comments positively? Such statements trigger me to think about what all he is not achieving.

5. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

A working man sitting at home without work for a long period of time is a recipe for disaster.

Its going to take some time to reverse the impact these 2 years caused.

What would it take to get him back to work. What are your short term / long term plans?

6. testmypatience

No plans of returning to India.. Going to apply for H1 for him next year too.. This year he dint get selected in the lottery.. He tries to keep himself occupied. But, no motivation towards a PG or certifications.. He avoids any conversation with me on that front.. I really dont know, how to motivate him.. Sometimes, I find him watching some silly mega serials.. I feel very bad..

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  7. Rin123

Rin123 Senior IL'ite

Sorry to be blunt op but as a working mother you are doing too much and as a man of family he is doing nothing. He has to find some work asap at least cash job. He cannot keep complaining whole life. If nothing is working out here then whole family should move back to india where he will get job.

You need to be strong and firm either he get some job asap or u all move to india. what if he doesn't get H1 in next years lottery. Its very hard to get H1 if he is not working for last 2 years. Dont waste any more time abroad otherwise he will be out of touch from his skill and whole life you will have to do everything single handedly.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    3 people like this.
  8. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

You need to get him a job.

9. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

His sitting home is ruining your life. I have seen couples separate under such circumstances.

His skills are waning without work while the rest are growing in experience. He needs to:

1) Go back to India and work there. ( with or without your kid )
    2) Go and volunteer at an IT shop. There are lot of Indian companies in US which will be happy to get his services. He in turn will have a resume which shows less amount of gap and will work towards a better career when he returns to work.
    3) Be aggressive towards learning for his job he will end up.

The most successful people make the best of the slow time.

This is your highest priority. Forget his nitpicking , his not doing house-hold chores, and every other issue. Help yourself by helping him resurrect his image.

What is his dream job? How can he use this time to get there?

If the conversation is not going anywhere, I would go back to India as a family. If your marriage, child and life are important, I think, this step is worth taking. You can use this as a threat to him as well.

3 people like this.
  10. testmypatience

Well.. I cannot say, he is doing nothing.. That wouldn't be fair on my part, if I said that..
    He has voluntarily taken up lot of my chores.. but that is not enough.. Also, after knowing the bitter truth and showing all the frustration on me is what is putting me off..

Things he does and that too very well:

1. He manages all the finances of our family. He does it very well, we save a lot, when I see my other friends and colleagues.
    2. Morning, when I am cooking, he is the one to get my DD ready to school.
    3. Washing the clothes.
    4. Cleaning the dishes.
    5. Vacuuming the whole house, whenever required.
    6. Any other maintenance required by anything electrical appliance etc.

These are just examples.. Also, emotionally and ethically he is a very good man. he has always treated both our families equally. Moreover, he takes care of my parents just like his own.

The only problem in our life, is the sudden role reversal and the frustration following that.