1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Condolence Etiquette

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by guesshoo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Recently, rather sadly, I've come across untimely deaths in my circle. I say untimely because they're people wih unfinished business here - too young, or with young family, kids studying, mortgages to pay off, the rest of their lives extinguished in a moment. It is heart-breaking for me but the pain of the family is unimaginable.

Now at this point, condolences are due but many people seem not know what to say and blunder on to say the wrong things.

I just thought I'd list out a few appropriate and inappropriate things to say, and would appreciate any further thoughts you all might have.

Do say
    - I'm sorry for your loss
    - he/ she was a wonderful person amd quality it - Adventurous / most kind/ ever smiling etc.
    - share a heartwarming or happy anecdote that the family will cherish
    - extend help in any form without being too intrusive
    - depending on your closeness to the family, you could assure them that you'd be there for support and follow through.
    - talk to someone else apart from the immediate family to ask if a monetary contribution at all might help the family - if you are able to and are willing to, take up something concrete like pay a term's fee for the child or so rather than transfer money to the bank.

Don't
    - don't lament to someone closer than you to the deceased - oh! How could he do this to you or me or whatever. The poor person is a already shattered and can surely do without this drama.
    - don't say he/ she is in a better place unless the person has been suffering badly previously. Even then skip it and say it was untimely. I've heard this said of accident victims and does it make me cross!
    - don't say now its all on your shoulders now. You have to take care of your family blah blah. They know. And it already terrifies them. Your words aren't encouragement. They do not need this unnecessary pressure.
    - don't ask them to stop crying / grieving. It annoys me to hear it being said that the mum has to stay strong for the kids. Yes. She knows and she will. Eventually. But first has to grieve! Having kids doesn't make her less human. Or tell the eldest son to be a brave man and stop crying. It is cruel. Hold them while they let it out or keep reassuring them that you are there for support and be there. Otherwise, convey your condolences and leave without giving this inane gyan.
    - don't delve into questions about details of what happened. Hey might divulge the details. Or they might choose not to - it might to too painful. No amount of but why didn't you go to the doctor sooner or why didn't you try alternative medicine is going to help. The person is dead and gone. Please be considerate of the family.
    I'm stopping here but I could go on. Especially with the don'ts... I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Mods, I wasn't sure where to post it. Since it felt like miscellaneous in maintaining relationships, I posted it here.

Vaikuntha, aahuti, PoojaShah and 21 others like this.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@guesshoo- Thanks a ton for this thread. My father passed away couple of years ago. And I remember my cousins couldn't put two words together to talk to me. Even now, they can't be supportive of what I go through. Forget my cousins, my DH doesn't get my emotions around my father passing away. With that being said.
    I want to add- to DONT'S
    -please don't compare or share stories of someone else passing away. NOT COOL:nono: Don't share similar stories of someone else being sick and how and where they passed. Nobody should listen to someone else story and compare their grief with an unknown person to sooth themselves.
    -Every one is different/ ever family is different. Be respectful. Some may go through with customs/ some may not. Don't a question about why this custom or the other custom isn't done.

That's all for right now.. may come back with more.

Why are these things never properly taught? I really wonder! Is our culture so terrible that most of the time- we live comparing to someone else and in death too it just continues!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do not talk about any other deaths. Do not compare this death to another, even if death was due to similar causes.

Do not tell the grieving person, "what can I do to help" or anything that adds to the grieving person's load. Do not say anything that needs the person to think and come up with a response. The simplest thing to say is, "Please call me any time of the day or night. I am just a call away."

And above ALL, above ALL - do not try to show the brighter side of things. A death is a time to take the time to grieve. Not the time to avoid grief and aid the person in feeling "better".

And above that above all - if a person has lost a child, DO NOT say "thank God you have another". believe it or not, I've witnessed this twice - once when the child gone was 3 yrs old, and another time 31 years old.

If in doubt about what to say, err on the side of saying very less. The appropriate form of "I am so sorry for your loss" and a hug should do. Do not think that just because you are unsure of what to say, you are excused for saying inappropriate things.

If you can visit them in person, simply go and sit there. After expressing condolences, just stay (if you can without adding to their work). Sometimes, just your presence is what is needed. Go on your phone, read a book, or newspaper or something, and just be there for as long as you can.

Also, go back after 4-5 days, when the stream of visitors has lessened.

If you are feeling awkward and don't know what exactly to say (this happens as more and more of us live away from family and are not around when grandparents, uncles, aunts pass away, so we don't know how to react)- if this happens, simply call or text that person and say, 'was thinking of you' as many times as you can in the weeks after the death.

4. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Good thread @guesshoo .....

Best thing is - Be calm & give that person a warm hug and let them know you are there for them in this grief. If possible be with them and help them in need and try to be in touch with them more often.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I'm sorry for your loss, @blindpup10
    Thanks for weighing in. Since grief is quite personal and everyone grieves differently, I get why people might not be able to understand what the other is going through. However lack of thoughtfulness and consideration in treating the grieving relatives has no excuse at all.

@Rihana thank you for your wise words. Saying rude stuff when one loses a child! Yes. I wouldn't have thought anyone could stoop that low - I've however been told I ought to have another child so that I'd have at least 1 left in case something happens to one of them. I don't get it at all.

Thanks @kcb nothing does replace the personal touch indeed.

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@guesshoo

Two real life experiences I would like to share. One happened when I was a student. My friend's sister lost her husband at a very young age. He had mentioned to me many times that she is very spiritually evolved individual and hence I didn't know what to say to her. I just stood two hours inside the house next to her husband's body. Many relatives were telling her to cry so that she would feel better. She just sat their without a drop of tear in her eyes. I went again for the funeral. At that time also, she just sat next to her husband and said "Good bye" to him with a smile. She held her little daughter close to her and even I couldn't stop crying. Everyone around including her brother and parents were in tears but she was undisturbed by the ceremonies. That is when I realized grieving is different for different people.

Second, I had a colleague of mine who died when his two boys were 8 and 6. I decided to travel to where he was working to attend his funeral. As soon as I entered their home, some of my colleagues told me that my friend mentioned my name as a well-wisher and guardian and hence he had no fear whatsoever that he was leaving. I walked in and held two children right next to me until the first one was supposed to be ready for the funeral. My colleague's body was dressed up in a suit as per his wish and his wife did namaskar when the body left his house. She fainted immediately thereafter and the ladies around brought her in. Only question she asked me, "Did I pay my final respect to him?" and I said, "Yes".

When I left I told her to call me anytime if she needs me and she told me that her husband had given some instructions regarding that. I took the responsibility to get his 401(k), contributions voluntarily made by the colleagues, leave salaries, etc. He had no mortgage insurance but had a small term life-insurance. He left her with house mortgage and a few other debts. She found a job on her own and kept consulting me every week for 2-3 months. After that, she called me once a month to validate her actions and investments. His children are now in college and one of them is in a Medical school. They are handling things very well. Still, she calls once in three months to talk to me. She truly considers me like a brother. She is constantly in touch with me for the past 15 years. If we don't hear from her, my wife or I will call her to learn about her well-being. She lives in a different state. Even now, whenever she travels to India, she would call us to tell her whereabouts.

Viswa

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Cool10, Pryshan, CoolPie and 15 others like this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Grieving is different for different people.When my father passed away in 1982 he was 93 and my mother was 81.One of my sisters was attending on them.All other siblings were in other places.On receiving the message while I was in office,I rushed home.I could reach the place at night only.My father's body was laid down in the hall.My mother was sitting by his side.As soon as she saw me ,she asked me to sit down and told how magnificent Appa looked in the rose garland.Then she asked me whether I have brought ,thirattu paal ( milk koa) which was liked by my father.She started abusing me for not bringing the sweet.It took sometime for me to realise that she was not aware of my father's death.Everyone was crying and not even a single drop of tear from my mother's eyes.Every neighbour started hugging my mother and started wailing aloud as per village customs and she was totally unresponsive.Next day, as the funeral arrangements were on, many seniors advised Amma to cry aloud, in vain.Everything was over.Everyday my amma asked me," did you give coffee to Appa? did you give the soft padusha to him? He is sitting on the coir cot in front pyol. Be talking to him.
    She refused to remove the thali thread( mangal sutra )as per the family custom.Daily while taking bath she asked for turmeric to be applied on her sacred thread.
    After three long months,one day she suddenly realised that Appa was no more.She began to cry aloud and started hitting my sister.I rushed from madras.My mother started blaming me for everything,
    "You are highly educated,well employed.A proud peacock,you never even informed me about father's death and never cared to show his face to me etc etc." We allowed her to cry for two hrs.We never tried to pacify her.After three hours she felt tired, drank some water and fell asleep.Then followed the same complaints for two or three days. Gradually she realised the circumstances and regretted for scolding me.
    Being motherless my mother was in the same house ,married her own maternal uncle and she lived with him for 82 long years.
    I thought that God/nature made her oblivious of everything,otherwise she would not be able to bear the loss .It was a blessing in disguise.

jayasala 42

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Laks09 and guesshoo like this.
  9. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

agreed.. its reminding me of my schoolmate's brothers death... whole class though i warned them went there create such a fuss which made both my friend and her mom to faint ... should act according to age. i didnt go because when they see us they will miss child more

10. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Viswamitra sir for your anecdotes. I am in awe of the spiritual lady who must have been so highly evolved to face the tragedy with such equanimity. The mum in the second anecdote sounds like an absolute treasure. It goes to show how a normal person, with the right support, can go on to achieve so much using the adversity as a stepping stone.

@jayasala42 madam, thank you for sharing your personal story. What a long, wonderful life your parents must have had together. Your mum's love is absolutely moving. It is indeed astounding how a person could be in denial because of their love for their spouse.

@Srama the article you shared is fabulous. Im amazed by how beautifully it has been explained! Thank you for sharing it.

@Caide yes, while it is important to show our support to the ones who have faced a loss, we do need to do so in a manner that doesn't overwhelm them. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Caide likes this.