Concept of FORGIVENESS in Hinduism

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by zipzipzoomzoom, Apr 6, 2013.

1. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Is there a specific concept of Forgiveness in Hinduism.

From what I understand, God always forgives us, and the things that come into our life is because of Karma.

If we do something wrong, we get wrong done to us in turn. And once we start doing things right, we get less and less wrong things done to us.

Recently I have started watching Joel Osteen sermons and the Chrisitian take on Forgiveness is very similar to Hinduism (somehow I believe Christ and Krishna are one and the same).

We are human and we all make mistakes. A lot of people mistakenly hurt and taunt those who are helpless, i.e. MIL hurting DIL, or even DIL is hurting her in-laws, or boss hurting workers, etc, etc.

A lot of people treat a nice person as an enemy, and a cunning, sweet-talking person as a saint.

But when we see these wrongs, or these perceived wrongs (after all, do we really know the whole story), it does not give us the right to start being unfair ourselves, start treating people with disrespect.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say with all this rambling.

Ok, you know how we are encouraged to do Puja, to go to Church, etc, etc. Well, it take more than daily Puja, or weekly Church service to do the right thing. We must honor God continuously.

It is difficult for us humans to continuously think of God, take comfort in God because so many dumb things come in our mind, i.e. this person is bad, he hurt my feelings, but I think the best way we can honor God is to learn to forgive each other for insults or perceived insults aimed at us.

When you make a mistake, and you realize it is a mistake, don't you want forgiveness? You are hurting, feeling bad and guilty as it is, it is worse when more people are angry with you.

I noticed that when we are unforgiving towards others, we start to do things that require the forgiveness of others. This happened to me last week, it is too sad and painful to go into details, but from this bitter experience I realized that we should learn to forgive each other and help each other not to repeat mistakes.

And now I realize, if I would have been more forgiving earlier, a lot of problems could have been avoided.

Do any of you have similar experiences? How do you forgive people when it is very hard to do? Have you noticed your life is more easy if you are able to forgive others?

Any comments welcome.

1 person likes this.

2. zipzipzoomzoom

23 views and no replies?

Wow, Forgiveness is quite a difficult feat for us, as we are only Human......

3. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Dear zipzipzoomzoom

Very true what you have written. SORRY is just a five-letter word, but it has a very deep effect when uttered. Being forgiven by others and forgiving others are the two most easiest ways to overcome enemity and hurt feelings.

I wish it was a lot more easier to follow this simple rule rather that just talking about it

1 person likes this.
  4. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

Very true...totally agree with you...
    Whenever i feel that i have made a mistake or if i hurt someone intentionally or unintentionally, i ask for an apology...I cant have a peace in ma mind unless and until i bring a smile in that person's face whom i hurt...And i expect the same thing from others too...if i got hurt by someone, i expect a sorry from them... Life is too simple if we follow certain simple rule rather than holding on to our ego...

1 person likes this.
  5. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Forgiveness is more about our self and a way for us to let go of the residual anger, resentment, and pain within and also transforming path to self healing and very spiritual experience.

Forgiveness and compassion flow out of understanding of the infinity. When we discover the infinity within ourselves and others, then forgiveness and compassion become spontaneous expressions of what it means to know the infinity and also express the understanding of infinite in our life.

Forgiveness helps us to understand / realise "Advaitha"

1 person likes this.
  6. zipzipzoomzoom

Especially forgiving others!

Yes, ego ... it's better to be happy than right!!!

That is something I struggle. When someone who has done so good for me is saying negative things, I now blame dark forces and keep reminding myself that God is working on changing the situation RATHER THAN getting angry at the person. Of course, this is a constant battle

Christ, or Krishna consciousness says all things can be achieved with love.

Yes, because once you recognize the "Self", or God within you, what is the purpose of holding any grudges?