1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Comrade Don Camillo (what A Book !)

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Cheeniya, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have often written about two of my greatest writers, Wodehouse and Giovonni Guareschi. The latter's rollicking creations have never failed to make me laugh my heart out and of course think about the stupidity of how we complicate our lives. And when you have God visiting you daily before you hit the bed and reviewing the day's happenings, it is the best way one should end his day.

Guareschi has created two great characters for a series of his books and they are the Parish Priest Don Cammilo and his Communist Mayor Peppone. I have read all the books of Guareschi and I am presenting to you 'Comrade Don Camillo' because it is speciaal. This is all the story is about.

Things have changed in the little world of Don Camillo, the parish priest. Peppone, the Communist Mayor of the village, has won ten million lira in the soccer sweepstakes, using an assumed name. If word gets out that he is the winner he will be forced to pay taxes and give the rest of the money to the party-unless, of course, his wife seizes it first. It is an embarrassing situation for a faithful husband and champion of the proletariat. In desperation he enlists the aid of his long-time adversary, Don Camillo, who safely and secretly deposits the money on behalf of Peppone. In spite of this, the mayor continues to bombard the citizenry with anti-clerical statements, and Don Camillo smolders with unpriestly rage. He finds his opportunity when Peppone is invited to take a group of the party "elect” on a junket to the Worker's Paradise. "Comrade Camillo,” in mufti, insists on going along, threatening to disclose Peppone's secret if he is not accepted. He takes with him a prayer hook, hound in a cover stamped Maxims of Lenin. The trip is a fiasco, much to the pleasure of Don Camillo, who knows in his heart that the victory is not his alone.

Let me tell you that if you read this book of Guareschi, you will want to read all his books. That's guarenteed!

Laks09 and Srama like this.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A typical Don Camillo scene