1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Compulsive eating disorder/ Binge eating

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by searchforme, May 3, 2011.

1. searchforme

searchforme New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I have been a silent reader of this thread for a very long time.

I am overweight and now I suspect that I have a eating disorder. I would like to discuss the same here, to find if any of you have the same.....have had it and know how to deal with the same.

Below are the symtops(from wikipedia.org) and along with the same in blue are my comments on the same -

Signs and symptoms
    • Binge eating, or eating uncontrollably even when not physically hungry. I do this so amny times...
    • Eating much more rapidly than normal .specially when i dont want anyone else to see will just gulp down. Was at a party once and the lights went, i just stuffed my face sooooo very fast and gulped food down as no one could see me. This was 2 yrs ago and the horrible image is still imprinted on my mind
    • Eating alone due to shame and embarrassment. most of the time
    • Feelings of guilt due to overeating. .yes
    • Preoccupation with body weight. think of it all the day. first thing on my mind when i wake up and when i go to sleep.
    • Depression or mood swings. major terrible ones
    • Awareness that eating patterns are abnormal . yes
    • Rapid weight gain or sudden onset of obesity . am obese
    • Significantly decreased mobility due to weight gain . not yet
    • History of weight fluctuations .
    • Withdrawal from activities because of embarrassment about weight. dont want to go out, just want to hide in the house and not meet my family also.....
    • History of many different unsuccessful diets. have not gone beyond day1
    • Eating little in public, but maintaining a high body weight. hmm
    • Very low self esteem and feeling need to eat greater and greater amounts. .yes
    Would like if any of you have had any of this or know any way to get over it.

I ADMIT I NEED MAJOR HELP!!!!

Regards to all.

Last edited: May 4, 2011

2. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear SearchForme,

Except for one point where you ate lot of food when the lights went out my answer is YES to all the points above.

The smell and sight of food tempts me. So, if I am on my binge streak believe me I can eat a whole medium pizza.

In my old days, I used to cook lots of instant noodles and enjoy them in the middle of the night. My favorite was boiling 2 packets and adding lots of butter to it. This I used to have after having a heavy dinner.

When I lost weight I thought I could correct this so I bought back instant noodles in my house and Viola I was back to this habit. So, stocking packets of instant noodles is banned in my house. At the most we get 2 packets once or twice a month and me and my husband make it for a meal and eat it. No noodles to turn to in the middle of the night :).

When I am low and depressed I still turn to food.

When I read your post I could relate to it. Sitting in front of the TV alone, watching a really nice serial and eating comfort food for hours on end. My favorite is to watch cookery shows and eat.

I realized that I was addicted to food 2 years back and all I did was switch my options.

Like in middle of night instead of instant noodles, I make a spicy bhel with onions and green chillies and eat it.

I do not store any junk food in my house, if I am low and depressed and in that eating mood then I would toast 2 bread and make eggs OR vermicelli with veggies.

And then when the guilt hits I exercise on my ET (though I make sure that I do it after 2 hours).

I try to channelize my negative energy in choosing as best options as I can. Most times I try to be strict with myself and remind myself in my low time that its not worth piling more kilos because this mood will pass and the guilt will hit soon, when I do break, I really do not have much things in my house to binge eat.

Thing that worked for me

I bulk up my food. This gives that killing full feeling in the stomach. I was always a daal rice person. So, I fill my bowl with little rice/daliya, add lots of daal, sabji and raita to it. The quantity of rice and daliya is just 2 tsp and I can go for a second helping of this bowl.

This has been my weight loss secret all along. It worked for me because it gave me the feeling of stuffing myself but I end up consuming less calories. SO even if I am not physically hungry this is one hunger killer.

I have never gulped food down when the lights went out BUT I remember that overwhelming feeling of seeing really tasty food and eating as if there is not tomorrow. Whenever I went to parties or eating out, I felt this weakness in me and I felt that I just cannot control myself in front of food.

My plate was always stuffed and 2 -3 helpings were a must. If the party was in my house and we ordered from outside then late night I would fill my plate and enjoy the food all by myself.

I corrected this when I first walked away from junk food, I told myself I am not going to die and I will eat it when I lose weight BUT not right now. My husband was enjoying the junk food and I loved it too but I told him I really want to do this and I will wait for you outside and I walked away. In that moment I really felt powerful. After that one incident it was clear to me that I can do it and I started experimenting with my will power. I have wrote all about it in my blog.

Believe me they are not going to vanish soon. I still have them. The only change is, I force myself to exercise for 45 minutes even if I am depressed. When I am really really low I just do a low impact exercise for 45 -50 minutes but pushing oneself is a must. It sends a message to your brain that you are still in control.

I still struggle with this. But in the end we have to accept ourselves, we can run from everyone but not ourselves.

I used to be like this in past the only difference is now the body weight is not there. I do not eat more in public but alone I eat lots of food but its low calorie. In past I would grab a burger on my way back from party OR a packet of instant noodle OR cheese sandwich NOW a bowl of 2 tsp daliya +thin daal + sabji (this is always in my fridge).

I was unable to change my habits so I changed my options. I started making choices.

The best part is that you recognize the pattern. Accepting that we have food addiction is the first major step, which you have already taken. I was/am addicted to food but no one recognized it as major threat but it is an addiction and it needs to be corrected. We can overcome any addiction like smoking, alcoholism etc, then why not food addiction.

So don't beat yourself up. What happened, happened. Now that you know your weak points work towards correcting them.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

3. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

Uhmm,

I kind of disagree with Shiva over this not needing help and you not beating yourself over it.

What you have is an uncontrollable urge to eat and my honest opinion is for you to get some professional help. This forum can only point out to you that yes, you have your faults. But to really get to the bottom of this, reasons for why you have this type of an over-eating disorder requires help, much like the opposite condition of being anorexic.

Please get to a therapist before you end up making the situation worse for yourself, especially if there's depression involved.

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Searchforme,

On the face of it, you seem to be having an eating disorder. But these things are very difficult for lay people like us to really analyze or to diagnose. It could be emotional overeating, it could be bulimia - we would not be in a position to differentiate.

The best part of the problem is that you have realized that you have a problem. The realization and acceptance are the first and biggest steps in solving them. Now it is essential for you to go to a professional and to seek help. He/She would be best suited to guide you and to help you.

So please do that as early as possible. Wishing you all the best.

5. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chinni86,

Just wanted to clarify

If you read my post I only asked OP not to beat herself up for overeating.

I did not mention anywhere in my post that she should NOT take professional or any other kind of help.

regards

6. searchforme

searchforme New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Is there any such sort of councelling in India????????

Am reading about all of this on websites etc.

Also I have not mentioned about this thing to anyone in my family/friends...so going outside for help in public is not an option for me i think.........

But on the other hand am taking steps to overcome this.

Have read a book - weight loss diaries by Courtney Rubin
    She suffers from exactly this and the first thing her mentor made her do was write an honest Food Diary.

I have started doing this for 3 days now along with medidation.
    So far for the last three days have not had a binge as of now.(fingers crossed)

If any of you have come across any books or material on the same please do let me know.

Regards
    Searching......

7. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

Shiva - I apologise. I probably misread your intentions in a hurry :)

And as for counselling, ofcourse there is. If I am not mistaken, you live in Bangalore right? Heard of NIMHANS? They have some of the world's best counsellors. I understand that there are other issues that come in the way, but what is important to you shouldn't bother you about what others think.

But since you are uncomfortable at the thought of seeing one, definitely try alternative methods. My recomenndation would be to atleast confide in someone close to you - your mothr/father/sister/brother/wife/husband. Sharing your concerns with your closest friends will indeed help you.

8. searchforme

searchforme New IL'ite

Hi Chinni,

I appreciate your advice.

But right now, comming on this forum in an annonymous manner has been a very big step for me. Also as per a recent survey in the US 80% of overweight individuals suffer from an eating disorder of which maximum fall under the coumpulsive overeater category. So I guess I am not such an exception after all.

So for now I will go along with this. Have become much more concious now and I believe that I will be able to overcome my problems.

Regards

Last edited: May 5, 2011