1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Communicating To Parent's Doctors (usa)

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by ChennaiExpress, Oct 18, 2017.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I'm helping my Dad with a medical condition that was created from surgery in India in 1965.

Over the decades it got more complicated

Surgery was done in 2008 and made it 100 times worse

Last week we went to Dr who lent a sympathetic ear and prescribed three meds (two over the counter)

My dad is 70-something years young, and has hard time communicating (plus English is not 1st language), so he can better explain things to me since I am used to the way he talks.

Before he takes meds he wants to understand exactly the Dr's instructions. And he also wants to make sure the Dr. understands his conditions.

I call the office to speak with Nurse Practitioner (they are nurses with advanced training who can prescribe meds).

I guess my question is, how do I be gently persistent, and advocate for my Dad's health without ticking them off.

This morning I called to speak with Nurse Practitioner because my Dad has question about taking something. I was was told she is busy with other patients. Totally understand this. But when I asked when I can receive her call, the front office said only when she is free.

They didn't give approximate time even though I asked

My only concern is they do not call back because the message wasn't received, they forgot, etc. On the other hand if I call back too early the response I will get is, "they will call back when they can" with hint of irritation in their voice.

Can anyone relate? How is the best way to address this. When I visit Dr's office I dress like adult (no jeans, sweats, etc), even overdressed so subconsciously the staff thinks I'm someone important, and are more likely to help (that's human nature).

I know for fact when I had medical issues growing up my Dad took care of me even though other people said don't worry abut me, I'm just a useless girl child anyway.

I'm kinda stressed about this right now.

I was hoping I can speak 5 minutes to Nurse Practitioner, get some sort of answer and perhaps Dad can enjoy few Diwali sweets tomorrow.

To partake in pooja and enjoy few sweets for Diwala

Right now I am chanting Mrityunjaya Mantra and Kali Mantra. And asking G-d directly in my own words.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

OP, here where I am while leaving the vm, it says a nurse will call back within 2 hours. If there is no promised time line, I would say in your voice msg, first thing clearly say, you would need an immediate / ASAP response, since your father's action is based on her advice. If you still don't hear back in a day 24 hours, then call back. It's ok to follow up when it's something urgent / you could make a mistake if you don't hear back from them. Make sure you explain your situation well, so you don't seem pushy. Also, I think dressing is not important, but how you conduct yourself there is. Dress like everyone (visitors, I mean blend in). No need to dress specially.

Good luck!

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

Just now I called back and same receptionist said she didn't forget about me and she had sent Nurse Practitioner an email.

Then I asked approximately when I can receive her call. When the receptionist replied , "when she gets a chance" then I used your line that my Dad needs clarification for taking his prescribed medicines.

Then the receptionist said between 4 to 5, that's when all patients start leaving.

Hopefully she'll call else I'll try 10 minutes to 5 ... because things get lost in the shuffle every now and again.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

4. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

Medical professionals are notoriously bad about this sort of thing in the US (gee I wish my family had moved to Canada instead of the US!), because it is All About the Billing, and they don't get to bill for phone advice.

Can you go to his appointments with him? I used to take my dad to his appointments when he got sick and had to move in with me. That way you hear directly from the doctor and can translate back and forth between them on the spot.

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Can you use Mychart to send a message and get a quicker response? Whenever I called a nurse practitioner or doctor on call, I always got a phone call within an hour..may be because a desperate new mom calling and gets immediate attention.
    Dress doesn't make one important..IMHO. Dress like you would for office but don't expect people to serve you right away because "you look important"

sokanasanah, SunPa and jskls like this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

OP, a lot depends on how the care is structured at the hospital you visit. Is there a nurse practitioner assigned to your father's care? Or is it a different person each time? The former situation is easier.

Your goal, for your own care and for that of your loved ones, should be to establish a relationship of trust with the medical staff. The American system is broken. Highly trained physicians, nurse-practitioners, nurses and technical staff are all under pressure from the business managers. I receive stupid questionnaires asking me to "rate the quality of care you received" from physicians I have consulted - the one I am thinking of is a world-class expert in her field! Evaluation of such people cannot be automated. Their expertise is something intangible. The doofus who designed the questionnaire is probably not fit to lick her boots. And yet, it continues under the guise of "Quality of Care". The people designing such systems don't appreciate that I would cheerfully wait an extra half-hour to be seen by such an expert, and questions such as "Did your doctor see you in 30 minutes?" are meaningless.

Anyway, the point of that harangue was to say that staff at the point-of-care are overworked and loaded with administrative bs. They also face other annoyances such as patients lobbying them for opioids under this excuse or that. So keeping that in mind, make a little effort to convey that you appreciate the pressures they are under even as you appear to be adding to their workload with your queries!:wink1:

My strategy is, as @nuss suggests, to use the internal e-mail system (like myChart) or whatever system your hospital uses, to send a "Non-urgent Medical Question". When I do that, I close with something like this: "I understand that I am not your only patient and that you may be rather busy. When I ask these questions, I am trying to act thoughtfully, taking responsibility for my health and medical care. Learning as much as possible about the details of my condition and the treatment options available, function as a coping mechanism for me. It helps me to approach healthcare choices with care and deliberation. I do appreciate your expertise and take your recommendations very seriously in making decisions. I hope I am addressing my request in a way that helps you see that. I remain grateful for your help and advice." - (modify appropriately). After that, I am not at all shy about quizzing my physicians about the evidence and stats for various options.

What this kind of communication achieves is to convey to your physician or nurse that you are not some half-baked flake who is intent on second-guessing them after looking something up on the web. If you are dealing with the same person each time (your PCP, nurse-practitioner, whoever), then it gives them a frame of reference for the relationship. Take every opportunity to project an image of a thoughtful and engaged patient, as opposed to a difficult person intent on adding to their burdens. They will respect you for it and be more inclined to help you.

Good Luck! :beer-toast1:

7. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Moved to relationships forum..or shd it be gabfest..not sure.. still moved it there..

Wow! Is this reply a defense of the profession in disguise coming from an insider?

Are we implying that the expert doctor can exempt themselves from professionalism & punctuality merely on grounds of his expertise & superior knowledge? Also , are we implying the person designing the questionnaire is inferior in position to the so called world class, expert doctor? Wow, lick the boots really??

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

9. ChennaiExpress

Yes, I accompany my Dad to appointments whenever possible. Even then, he hears one thing and I hear another. I'm hoping we have permission to record what Dr says for our reference.

Mychart .... will have to see if the hospital offers that.

I guess for Dress I wish to avoid looking sloppy. But I'll dress to look nice (for myself), not for office.

Wow this is great, thoughtful advice. Guess who also had lots of experience with US medical system.

I followed your advice and it worked. When I managed to get the Nurse Practitioner (she is the only one is the office), I first started by saying my Dad is very grateful you can answer our questions. She was touched to hear that. Then I proceeded to ask questions. I concluded by thanking her for her time and thoughtfulness.

Some doctors feel they are exempt from having a heart, unfortunately.

When I first accompanied my Dad to visit this Doctor, after the visit I shook her hand and thanked her for taking the time to hear us out.

As patients and loved ones of patients we forget our system is over-burdened. We got to be our own advocate and we got to realize many of the time medical professionals are being squeezed.