Common wealth games or Kalmadi's wealth games!!!!

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Delhi' started by GarghKavita, Aug 13, 2010.

1. GarghKavita

GarghKavita New IL'ite

in the light of the latest controversies involving the crass use of taxpayers money for the common wealth games has left the entire nation especially delhites stunned and ashamed.

It was a double whammy for delhites since we were so proud of the face lift that the capital was getting for the CWG. We were putting up with all the traffic jams, loss of time and business and a whole lot of inconvenience because we were proud to be hosts for the CWG.

The entire facade fell down with a bit of rain!!! We feel betrayed and ashamed right now that our politicians can so carelessly leave us to embarrassed as nation in front of the entire world.

2. SabinaKhanna

SabinaKhanna New IL'ite

Its high time people understand that SPORTS body should not be lead by politicians at the helm. Have you ever thought why CWG, BCCI, IOC, Hockey federation etc, are all lead by politicians. Shouldn't they be lead by acknowledged sports-persons with adequate experience in the game?

But no!

We need administrators, not politicians who must have never played the sport for which they are the BOSS.

Would love to hear your views on this.

3. sushmafrom44

sushmafrom44 New IL'ite

hi sabina,

i completely agree with you... politicians just go ahead and only create further chaos and politicize every thing about sports. However, there needs be a governing body that should be held responsible for all sports related activities in india....

CWG has just become another arena for the politicians to cheat us and hog away our hard earned tax payer money....this is sad sad reality of indian democracy!!!

4. SupSam

SupSam Senior IL'ite

My 2 cents..... in fact me and DH have been feeling that these CWG are bringing much of discomfort to tax payers and other hawkers and street workers rather than name and fame to the country. I dont understand that these politicians who have collected crores with them and the high society miilionaires of Delhi...why doesn't the govt be sensible and responsible enough for that section of India specially Delhi...who are just earning enough to run their families or hardly saving for some bad or good times in future. We feel that for all this work...govt should have asked those leaders and politicians and high businesspeople to put in part of their incomes and profits rather than making a simple living even tougher for a common man. Ever rising prices in name of CWG.... and once CWG are over...would these prices be brought down...never!!! And how is the common Delhite going to benefit from these CWG....We would have traffic jams all the more those days....insecurity of any political move....fear of any new laws or price hikes which shall never be brought down...

Not mentioning particularly but many declarations that we read in news and newspapers and laws made have really made delhites suffer and they, we shall keep suffering beyond the games, I suppose :-((

If the govt is so short of funds that we need to compromise our normal living standards for CWG, they should have better let India /Delhi be as it is and ask the guests to leave some funds here for improvement and development instead !!!

Sorry if I am hurting anyone's personal feelings regarding this.

5. ishanisharma

ishanisharma New IL'ite

What about the player's

After reading this thread and the posts, I'm all the more saddened.... Not only because CWG is in the limelight for all the wrong reasons from missed targets to political honchos heading the show or 'fixed' deals and scandals being unearthed by the media each day; but mainly because in the midst of everything, wall seem to have lost track of the SPIRIT of the Common Wealth Games.

No one is discussing about the Indian contingent's preparation for the Games, their fitness, how well equipped they are, who will be their biggest competitor, how many medals do we expect to win...... I believe, we are doing nothing to boost the morales of our Indian athletes. Isn't it our responsibility to make them feel that they are the torch-bearers of our national pride and we support them and would cheer for them?

Have you ever seen any media discussion on how our Indian contingent is preparing for the Games? Somehow down the line, the Indian media seem to be infatuated to scandals and scoops. You can see the same media which is silent now, hounding for the sport-person's blood and blaming them of ill-form if they fail to win a medal.

Seems we have been used to the idea of crying over split milk! :notthatway:

6. charvi2811

charvi2811 Junior IL'ite

Re: What about the player's

The CWG were supposed to be our nation's "SHAAN" ... the way things are moving with only a month left and still a lot of work needs completion, deadlines missed again, patchwork on, Delhi all dug up , the rain gods showing their wrath:drowning ....... We as a nation need to seriously learn from our mistakes but for now...
    WE ALL NEED TO PRAY