1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Commercial caterers

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by maalti, Jul 16, 2013.

1. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

We had been to a wedding reception recently. Catering was entrusted to one of the very famous caterers. As my daughter had her semester exam the next day, she couldn’t accompany us and only my husband myself attended the function. It was the wedding of one of our very close relatives. So we couldn’t avoid. The reception was at 7.00 p.m. and the venue was very far from our residence. We had to start at 6.00 p.m. itself. So I could not cook anything to my daughter. “Don’t worry” my husband told me. “Anyway we would be back by 9.30 p.m. Take one or two lunch boxes so that we can get something for her from the function”. It seemed a good idea. So I took two lunch boxes so that I can pack some dinner for her.​
    We attended the function and ate the dinner. The dinner was very good and delicious. After finishing the dinner, I went to one of the attendants in the dining hall and requested him to pack me something in the two boxes which I had taken. “No Madam, we don’t give food parcels” he refused point blank. “We have very stern instructions not to pack food to anybody”. Saying this, he went away. I was shocked. I went to another attendant who seemed to have more authority and requested him. He also turned down the request. “But why?” I asked desperately. “Just see the dining hall. Small children are made to sit alongwith the adults and all the items are served to them also which they don’t eat and so much food is wasted”. Now the attendant became impatient. “Don’t ask me such questions. I am only following the instructions given to me” he said and walked away. Our close relative whose function we had attended was standing right by my side. But he also didn’t bother to instruct the caterer to pack the dinner and kept mum. I didn’t want to make it a big issue. After all, we had come to attend the reception and not to pack food. So while going home, we stopped at a hotel, bought dinner for my daughter and went. One of my relatives who had come to the function, leaving his old mother at home had requested to pack just two idlis, was also given the same treatment.
    Catering is a booming business nowadays. It has become so commercial, that they don’t care even if the food is wasted. The number of plates only counts since they charge per plate. They can easily take into account the no. of plates whether it is adults or children.
    Our country has a tradition of serving food to all the hungry persons. But everything has become so commercial.
    Anyway, the lesson I learnt was that I should never ask the catering people to pack food whenever I attend any function. Another lesson is that I should not repeat the same kind of treatment in the wedding of my son or daughter. I should give the contract only to the caterers who agree to pack food to people who couldn’t attend the function. :thumbsup

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai maalti,

[JUSTIFY]First time i am listening to this story. Normally catereres surely they will pack and give since no of plates counted and ordered to them they may be strictly following. Very pathetic note here is if anybody is asking for food our Indian particularly tamil culture will not say NO to it. whatever we are having we will share with the concern person. Very hard to digest this maalti. Food should not be restricted to the attendees alone.only a few close relative will ask for parcel. extremely hard to digest the caterer comments. Tks for sharing. People who are reading this blog also will know the behaviour of caterers.[/JUSTIFY]

3. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much Sree. This tendency has started taking place very recently only.