1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Coming Full Circle?????

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Aug 5, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]The weekend always brings some activity - people coming, people going, all the chit-chatting. It gives one food for thought, something to ruminate over and fodder for my grist mill. :-D

One such visitor - a young lady in her mid 20s - visited me today. She has done pretty well for herself so far. In fact I would say enviably so. Graduated from one of the good B schools in India and got a high flying job as a CEO immediately. Earns a monthly salary of what took me a good 3 - 4 months to earn when I was at the peak of my career. What more could one want in life?

So I would have thought, until today, when I saw her in a very philosophical and reflective mood. She was talking of the meaninglessness of it all. She had got what she always aspired for, if she worked hard, she could climb the ladder further, and further, and further ....... then what?

I was taken aback. The age of the girl, the realization she has come to so early in life ..... In a way, it was nice to think that a girl her age is grounded enough to realize that material wealth and prosperity and success do not necessarily give a meaning to life. They do not necessarily define a successful life. There has to be something else that gives meaning to life. She was talking of how she is happy if she has people around her and how nice it is to have someone to chat with. So she is learning the value of relationships to give life some meaning. This is the beginning of her spiritual growth.

On the other hand, I could not help feel sad for her as a typical representative of the present generation. They are successful, have great jobs, have great careers, earn hand over fist, have all the luxuries they could ask for - all this before they are in their mid 30s at the latest, some even in their mid 20s. Not all of them are grounded enough. They keep running after more, not stopping to think for a moment what it is they are after and then end up dejected, not knowing what it is that they are striving for, what it is in life they are searching for. Life seems to be nothing more than a mindless, purposeless pursuit of money. On the other hand, they have got it all, so there is nothing to look forward to, nothing to strive for, thus rendering life devoid of meaning.

Compare this to earlier times where one had to really struggle to get even what are considered today as the basic necessities of life. Just those aspirations lent one a purpose in life, or so it seemed. Our society saw relationships fall apart. The reason for this is that we in our days were so busy chasing individual aspirations, trying to climb the social ladder, that we did not realize the need to nurture relationships nor did we have the time. We took what we had for granted and eventually lost it. We saw the disintegration of the joint family and the arrival of the nuclear family. We saw a rise in divorce rates. We saw an entire generation migrating and the phenomenon of parents of NRIs seeking refuge in retirement homes. We lost the meaning to our lives and existence.

Could the fallout of the current generation's early success, on the other hand, lead to a reversal of the trend? Would they at some point realize the meaninglessness of material success without a spiritual, personal fulfillment? Would it lead them on a quest to rediscover a meaning to life and the value of inter-personal relationships?????:coffee[/JUSTIFY]

21 people like this.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

They will Satchi...but let us hope it will be sooner than later...

I really appreciate that early realization in your friend..that's a good trend, I think.

Sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

Thanks Sri for the really quick FB. While a bit of me felt sad to hear such a young person asking such questions, the other side of me felt very happy that she was realizing some home truths pretty early on in life. Better that they have an early start in life than waiting to retire to start doing "hari hari". Let us pray that it is going to be earlier than later.

1 person likes this.
  4. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

The key word is 'balance' Satchi...being successful yet living life to the fullest is what one should aim at. Be ambitious not aggressive! Be grounded but not laid back! Be content but never complacent!

The ones who concentrate on the destination (riches, accomplishments and higher level of living) never truly appreciate what they have achieved while the ones who concentrate on the journey (success, learning and path) have an awesome life. They have best of both worlds.

I beg to differ here on the pensiveness of successful people. It is not the riches which obliquely are pursued but the 'learning', 'exposure' and 'worldliness' does make it worthwhile!

Erm..just my thoughts..

10 people like this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,

The young girl you met...her way of thinking is rare. My guess...she also would get married, family, children, career...all these would absorb her life so much that she would not have time to think anything. Generally by the time they realize the value of relationships, it becomes too late. Same thing with men also. In the race for monetary success they are losing so many things....people of older generation look like old fashioned in their thinking to them.
    My view is that....people are most important in life. Relationships are important. In the previous generation, though chasing their dreams did not lose touch with people and hence they were more balanced and relationships have never suffered. Then it was "we". Now it is "I". Ideal would be to balance both,,,family, career, relationships etc. But that idealism does not exist. Even if it exists it is rare. Exceptions never make a rule.

Thank you for a good blog.

Syamala

3 people like this.
  6. satchitananda

Hi Uttaraa,

2 people like this.
  7. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Loveth how well you receive feed backs even if they do not align to expected 'acquiescing' nod. You are sweety sweet ...:kiss

3 people like this.
  8. satchitananda

9. satchitananda

Hi Shyamala,

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

You are on the right track in terms of how the present generation measures the material wealth and success. Many of them are achieving great academic accomplishments followed by outstanding career. But they miss something constantly in their lives. Many of them have been psychologically affected as they don't know where they are going with their pursuing the career. Many work all night in BPO businesses and sleep in the morning having no time to interact with their friends and families. Married couple are getting into trouble because of lack of time to bond.

No one is teaching them anything about life/work balance. They are not trained how to save wealth for their future and they are not even trained how to invest their hard-earned money. Many spend money in unnecessary purposes as though there is no tomorrow. They are becoming like a machine forgetting that they are human beings with emotions and feelings.

I have a feeling that the young woman you met perhaps had a prior life wondering what was the purpose of the life and that might be the reason why she is getting those thoughts early enough in her present life. I always believe that all of these habits have its own cycle and would get corrected over a period of time. I am sure the young men and women would understand the purpose of their lives and learn to live their lives peacefully.

When it happens, their lives would become meaningful.

Viswa

4 people like this.