1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Colic pain

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ramya_psk, Apr 23, 2008.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Re: probiotics and colic

Desi, It apparently does...Here is a link. Interestingly, though I never linked the two then, my DS was given probiotics for some diarrhoea-related issues and secondary lactose intolerance at around 6 weeks. I now recall, after being put on probiotics, his spit up, his midnight wake-ups and colic started improving and totally went away by the time he was 3.5 months old.
    Incidentally, probiotics maybe good for your lactose intolerance too! While in cheese and yogurt, the milk protein is somewhat digested, you may want to limit it if your doctor thinks there is a possibility of milk protein allergy. I got by on one cup of coffee or around 150 ml of milk with some cal supplements. Hope your LO feels better soon.

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Try eliminating all dairy products such as milk, ghee, cheese, yogurt etc from your diet, as well as eggs. It will take upto 2 weeks for the dairy to be completely removed from your body. Also, don't use any milk based formula, try similic alimentum.

3. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

thank you so much Raj, Krithika and pmahensa for your valuable suggestions. And Krithika the website was very helpful to read. I know her pead. had said that it takes about 3-4 weeks for her to show improvement and if she doesn't then she thinks its reflux. Do you know anything about reflux? she doesn't show any of the classic signs of reflux, like spitting up and vomiting. I don't know whats wrong with her. I have a 18 month toddler too, so its getting really exhausting now. Please just pray for her....
    thanks again
    desi

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Desi, I had only one kid and when that kid was colicky it was a nightmare, my heart goes out to youthere. Hugs.
    Is your paed talking about silent GER? DS vomitted tonnes, but my sister second born, who is now almost 3 also had similar symptoms except the spit up was minimal, but he will stay awake for hours together in the night in obvious pain. The only way she would sleep is by using one of these things that look like top half of a chair and the LO on top of her. Her LO was put on zantac and he did better after that. Mine was put on domperidone, but did not respond at all to the meds

5. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi Desi...

My new born boy went through colic for 7 weeks and I know it was horrible horrible feeling, that you can't do much except watching your baby screaming his lungs out. It was really hard time for us. I wasn't bf, my baby was on Similac advance formula liquid form. I tried some different formulas as my doctor suggested but it didn't help so I decided not to change his formula. By 5th week my doctor prescribed Hyscomine. With medicine his colic got cured by 7th week. Then I gave him medicine after one or two days gap and finally I stopped the medicine after 7th week. Thank god he is doing good now.

My best wishes are with you and hope your baby's colic get cured soon too.

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Amicable - I'm so glad to know that your LO is alright now. What a relief that must have een!

Vanathi.

7. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Thank you Vanathi...It was defintly a big relief after he was 7 weeks. Before that I was under so much stress and used to cry everyday to see my baby screaming. We have spend sleepless nights on one leg. It was not only physically hard but emotionally too. We did give him medicine Hyosoyiamin for two weeks and then slowly stoped the medicine with two three days gap.Thank god my mother is here to help me and my husband is also very supportive. Lately one of my friend told me to use a pinch of asafoetida (Hing) powder diluted in 3-4 drops of water and rub it on your LO's belly button everyday. Its very helpful infact not only for the colicy babies and also for the other kids as well. It helps to relieve the gas. My friend used it on her daughter untill she turned one year old. Use asafoetida in really less quantity because it has a warm effect. Thank you again.

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

9. VALGAL

VALGAL New IL'ite

Re: Colic baby

Well I have been suffering with my newborn for weeks now! its been week 7 and i finally found a pain reducer its very instant its called MARGADOSH WATER for babies you can find it in the gulf countries easily its like herbal water and it can be used 3 times per day. I found that citrus foods and milk cause little alliyah to scream her lungs out for hours and not sleep for the sometimes 12 -15 hours straight. Ive tried changing positions to burp her and waiting 2 mins after every feed which is very helpful. I have colic EZ drops which works if you give it 20 mins before feeds. I have tried Babynos but dont use it until your babys bellybutton is healed so i would suggest wait till its healed completely. Also warm baths and baby in sitting position usually helps relive gas and always lay your baby elevated and make her lay on her belly for 5 mins and massages really work. hope this helps!!!!

10. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I have experienced the same problem with my kid. One of my relatives suggested me to give the baby a spoon of warm water with asafoetida daily twice. And this solved teh problem. This remedy does not cause any harm to the baby. Also it can be had by anyone. You can also give gripe water on a daily basis along with this remedy.

Please try once.