1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Colic pain

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ramya_psk, Apr 23, 2008.

1. ramya_psk

ramya_psk Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    My daughter is 5 weeks old.She is suffering from colic pain .Every night she cries very badly.We took to her to 2 different doctors but nothing worked out.They asked me to pat her her after feeding,but gas is not getting released.Doctor prescribed me colimex drops,but not to use regularly.Is there any tips i can follow so that she can get rid of it.

Thanks&regards
    ramya

Similar Threads
    1. Ooviya
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. cliona
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. Telja
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Hey Ramya
    I am so sorry that your family is passing through this...I don't have much advice but I have heard that Gripe Water helps in colic pain. And you can give twice a day. It is herbal medicin so it won't harm your baby...If you are giving bottle to your baby than maybe using special bottle such as Dr.Brown's (Dr. Brown's Baby Bottles) helps. And if you are breastfeedign than may be you can eliminate food like tuver dal, potatoes, brocolli which creates gas from your diet.
    I hope this helps.
    Let me know how it is going...Hang in there.
    Love
    Meeta

3. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

They outgrow colic around 3 months,my baby had the same.Have u ruled out the possibility of reflux?silent reflux? As Meeta suggested Dr.Browns bottles r goodbecause of the vent there is less gas.
    But still u have to burp the baby after every 1 or 2 oz and if breastfeeding after each breast.My baby had the same problem it will take 30 mins or so sometimes to get a burp out.You can also sit up the baby and rub the back instead of patting.We used to take him for a drive or a walk before he starts crying he used to cry the same time everyday from the time he was 1month old .Mylicon drops helps release the gas,its over the counter drops and safe.Gripe water helps too,get organic without alcohol.I use wellements u can get this in Wholes food market(not sure if u have this in nj).Hang in there it gets better once the baby is 3 months old.

4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

First 3 mths baby faced colic problem, try to avoid colic food like-

1) Chana, kidney beans, soya beans etc

2) cabbage, culiflower, reddish etc

Try to eat more moong-masoor dal.

Hope this will help. Try to massage tummy with warm water+asafetida & rub to her tummy.

Here is wonderful link-
    Colic: How to cope - BabyCenter

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Ramya, you poor thing, I have heard colicky babies really test their parents' patience. Hang in there! I used to give Riya (still do every now and then) whole nutmeg rubbed on a clean, hard surface and dip it in warm, sterile water. (I use a little stone to rub the nutmeg that I picked up from a parking lot, sterilized it by boiling it in water for 40 minutes, and then put it in oven for 20 mins at 350 degrees). Give a couple drops of that everyday to your baby, it should relieve any gas and help with digestion. Also, add hing (asafoetida) to your diet, especially in dal.

Also, lay your baby on its back with legs towards you, and move the baby's legs like she's bicycling and press her thighs gently towards her belly. Do this when you think she has gas, this should help her pass gas.

Do you give her a massage? If you do try this, make heart shape movements starting at the center of her rib cage and going down towards her belly button. Make sure you have some oil and rub your hands together to warm them up before starting. Don't press too hard, bug gently go down. This aids digestion also.

Hope something helps

Raj

6. humerarouf

humerarouf Senior IL'ite

hi ramya ,infant colics start around at 3 wks and may last upto 3 months.Both my kids used to have these and were fine by 2 months.My experience is that otc medications rarely help.gently rocking ,or walking around with the baby in your arms helps.Also you must burp your baby after eveery feed even if it takes an hour,also you can lay the baby on the right side after burping ,it helps to express residual air.Actually the baby sleeps when it wants to.Many a times i used to go to sleep at 7 a.m..One fine day it will simply go away.

7. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

Just make sure it is colic ie the crying starts usually in the evening time. Suggestions would be to swaddle, rock, pacifier, put baby on side and say shh in baby's ear ( or any other white noise) . I have used Gripe water as well ( Little remedies makes them in the US, the other brand Baby Bliss had recalls).
    Some times a stroller or car ride helped. My baby stopped crying when he was outside and the moment he heard the door alarm when coming in would start crying. Same with the car . As long as the car was moving he would stop crying, when we stopped at the signal all hell would break loose. We used to joke that the car's brakes were connected to his brains.
    Some babies love a warm bath ( put baby in water upto stomach.support baby's neck above water of course). It reminds them of being back in the womb,
    Here is Dr Sears site for some tips that I used.
    FUSSY BABY

8. ramya_psk

ramya_psk Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    thnk u so much for ur reply.I will surely try out this.But my doctor didnt prescribe me grape water.He advised me to give water.Now the pain is reduced little bit.

Thanks&regards
    ramya

9. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Colic baby

Hi friends...

I have a 4 week old boy he has colic and i'm having a very diificult time with it, it is a horrible feeling to hear your baby scream all night long and nothing you do can to soothe him, I feel like a terrible mom it's making me very depressed. I am tired and tears in my eyes. I havn't slept for 2-3 hours at night from past so many days. He starts crying around 11 at night and goes on till morning sometime. I don't know what to do I've tried everything swaddling, white sound, music, walking, pacifier, swing, gripe water....you name it. But he doesn't seem to calm down. He sleeps well during day time. I breasfeeded him for two weeks only. I wasn't producing enough milk, so he is on Similac Infant Advance formula. Since then he is very gasy, dark greenish poop and very uncomfortble. I have switched to Similac senstive formula from today, hoping it might help. But how to calm down colic baby. Please please help.

Regards<!-- $URL: https://svn.babycenter.com/devel/Bc...in/webapp/WEB-INF/jsp/reporting/reporting.jsp $ --><!-- $URL: https://svn.babycenter.com/devel/Bc...ebapp/WEB-INF/jsp/reporting/reportingVars.jsp $ --><!-- / $URL: https://svn.babycenter.com/devel/Bc...ebapp/WEB-INF/jsp/reporting/reportingVars.jsp $ -->

Ooviya likes this.
  10. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Re: Colic baby

Hai Amicable,

I found this on the net. Please read the following: -

Colic: If your baby cries inconsolably for long periods every day, particularly at the same time each day, he may have colic. Researchers are still unsure of colic’s exact cause. Some experts believe that colic is related to the immaturity of a baby’s digestive system. Whatever the cause, and it may be a combination of all the theories; colic is among the most exasperating conditions that parents of new babies face. Colic occurs only to newborn babies, up to about four to five months of age. Look for patterns to your baby’s crying; these can provide clues as to which suggestions are most likely to help. Then experiment with some of the ideas in this list and in the rest of this article.
    • If breastfeeding, feed on demand (cue feeding), for nutrition as well as comfort, as often as your baby needs a calming influence.
    • If breastfeeding, try avoiding foods that may cause gas in your baby, such as dairy products, caffeine, cabbage, broccoli and other gassy vegetables.
    • If bottlefeeding, offer more frequent but smaller meals; experiment with different formulas with your doctor’s approval.
    • If bottlefeeding, try different types of bottles and nipples that prevent air from entering your baby as he drinks, such as those with curved bottles or collapsible liners.
    • Hold your baby in a more upright position for feeding and directly afterwards.
    • Experiment with how often and when you burp your baby.
    • Offer meals in a quiet setting.
    • If baby likes a pacifier, offer him one.
    • Invest in a baby sling or carrier and use it during colicky periods.
    • If the weather’s too unpleasant for an outside stroll, bring your stroller in the house and walk your baby around.
    • Give your baby a warm bath.
    • Hold your baby with her legs curled up toward her belly.
    • Massage your baby’s tummy, or give him a full massage.
    • Swaddle your baby in a warm blanket.
    • Lay your baby tummy down across your lap and massage or pat her back.
    • Hold your baby in a rocking chair, or put him in a swing.
    • Walk with Baby in a quiet, dark room while you hum or sing.
    • Try keeping your baby away from highly stimulating situations during the day when possible to prevent sensory overload.
    • Lie on your back and lay your baby on top of your tummy down while massaging his back. (Transfer your baby to his bed if he falls asleep.)
    • Take Baby for a ride in the car.
    • Play soothing music or turn on white noise such as a vacuum cleaner or running water.
    • As a last resort, ask your doctor about medications available for colic and gas.
    My first DS used to cry for long hours during night. We used to hold him and walk inside home. That used to calm him down and he used to sleep off on our shoulders. After sleeping also, we had to carry him on our shoulders, so we started taking care of him in shifts. We did that for almost a month. We almost went crazy thinking whether this would ever end.

Hang in there, it will be there for sometime, probably till baby completes 12 weeks. But usually it will not last that long, maximum till 8 weeks or sometimes lesser than that.