1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Clothes Sense

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I still remember how my grandmother used to react if I stepped out without being appropriately dressed. Even without being told how to dress inside or outside my home I always knew how to dress from a very young age. It was quite easy for my grandmother when it came to dress coz she wore 9 yards and had only a handful. Every morning it was her routine to take bath, wash her clothes while wrapped ina towel and hang her clothes inside the ceiling where a long rod was placed horizontally. She would raise her wet clothes with the help of a stick and then spread it along that highrise clothes line. Later my father helped make a clothesline which can be raised and lowered for her convenience. Once clothed she would stay in it till the next morning.
    My life clothes were not that simple. I had the school uniform, skirt & blouse and later half saree and skirts and then the night gown and pants and top and the inevitable churidhaar as well. A combination of these or all would be part of my daily ensemble.
    One thing was certain. I never would choose to step out my front door in my nightgown or some lazy loungewear worn around the home.
    I feel those days are long gone.
    In my neighborhood some women wear more skimpy clothes than a bikini to do exercise or walking and show more of their body to us than clothes can hide. Even if they want to show us their fitness regimen surely they must know they look ugly! And we are forced to view all this as normal.
    All over the U.S anywhere you travel you will be subject to looking at the cleavage of a women and the dress line is growing lower by the day!
    I really do not mind nor care how anyone chooses to dress themselves. However I cannot understand why women dress to show it all and men..! that’s another blog by itself!!
    Very soon we are going to have only one kind of clothes which for women will resemble a bikini and men .. they wear a pant which starts far lower down the waist and trails near the heels.. looks like at anytime they might slip and fall!
    Maybe elsewhere in the world the choice of attires are far different and more tastefully worn.

2. sudhakrishna

sudhakrishna Gold IL'ite

Dear what you have wriTten is correct. Clothes
    are mainly to cover our. Body and. Prote ct from heat and cold. Now a days the dress sense make us feel shy.

3. Anandchitra

Yes thanks

4. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi

You reminded my grand mother. She also wears a cut 9 yards [podavai thundam] when she comes out of bathroom and hangs the long and heavy 9 yards on a wooden rod hanging in a thick thread on both sides attached to a clamp on the ceiling.... I always wonder how heavy the wet sari is and how she manages to hang with help of a wooden stick. Later, we help her holding the edges to fold in 4s and hangs up.

As you said they had only one option of dress to wear those days with a very limited collection.......

The attire makes a person........ A PERSON and gives a personality.

BR
    Shanti

5. Anandchitra

Thank you so beautiful to read