1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Close Friend Barrow Money Every Month. How To Handle?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Reesha, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,

happy womens day to all of my dear lIL's.

As a women, we strive to learn and achieve financial freedoms in our lives. I too in same stream. I am in position to earn handful of money at every month. but initially i am not like this. i am in very low confident and fear to dare in career entrance. So one of my male friend boosted me allot and gave continuous support in case of how to handle interviews and how to behave and answer professionally so on. Really i had lot of gratitude towards him for his support when i am in need of mental support.

Every day we are in communication via phone/whatsup. so every thing is up to date in between us. but he left his MNC job 6 yr ago and started to earn via some business. he started his own application development and tried to earn via that. he is in been for 4 yr for development only and developed whole application whole and sole. but from 2 yrs onwards, his parents also stopped supporting him financially and his savings also got empty. to survive his daily life, some how he did marketing of his own product and failed to earn through it. so me and one more guy are helping continuously month by month.but it has been 2 yrs, and he struggling for money from 3 yr around. as he is one and only friend to me to whom i can share every thing freely. but giving continues money to him also become some what inconvenient to my soul. i dont mind up to short term. but it become very long term and i don't know when he is going to settle. except 1 time, i did not get my money back until now. around 60K is pending from him. how to handle this situation with out breaking my friendly relation with him?

2. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

You seems to be very young ... You need to understand the world better . Dont have misplaced sense of gratitude. Share the situation to your parents hopefully they will be able to help you . Give your parents ' excuse to stop money lending or retrieve past money from him.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  3. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

yeh i too fell same. still i am young in case of estimating persons charter.

4. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Can you help him emotionally too and show him a right path for job hunting? Once he get the job he will not ask for money. For old loans that you gave let him decide he want/can return to you or not.

sindmani, shravs3 and Sandycandy like this.
  5. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Why don't you suggest him to move back in with his parents and search for job. That way his daily expenses taken care of and he doesn't have to depend on friends. Help him in whatever way to get job by referring to your company/ friends etc but giving money monthly basis is not practical nor your responsibility, especially if he doesn't return it.
    . Tell him you will be unable to send any money any more as from now on your parents are handling your salary to plan your marriage expenses,gold etc. You can mention your dad wants account of the 60k or let it go as you wish.But my overall advice to stop sending more money.

6. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

There's a saying "Teaching someone to fish is better than giving a fish as it teaches them to feed themselves for life".

So just like he boosted your confidence n gave you moral support - do the same thing now. He must be low in confidence now, so encourage him.

That doesn't mean giving him money, as he may only feel safer with the comfort that you and another friend are giving him rather than developing the strength to come out of it.

To stop the money flow any further, come up with a family excuse that your parents have asked for more money or that they are in need for something n that you really have nothing extra. Or come up with genuine sounding excuses.

The best thing you can do for your friend now is to help him get himself up n restart his life, money isn't the only way to help, in some cases it's the worst kind of help as it stops the other person from waking up to reality.

sindmani, shravs3 and Sandycandy like this.
  7. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

U have a sweet friendship n he should understand it too .. he needs a boost from u to pick himself up n look for a job n be independent ...may be he knows I r there n be carefree ..
    as others suggested tell ur parents are asking abt it or ur parents need ..

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I think its time for you to return his favour. reiterate what he taught you and help him find a job. That is how you help him.

Sandycandy likes this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Friend in need is a friend indeed! But when money comes all types of relationship affects one way or the other ! As others suggested you can tell tat you need to help your family ! Tell him tat you need the money for paying some emi .Instead help him by referring if you find any job openings tats more better !

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  10. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

OP
    Give some reasons and stop lending. 60 k is not a small amount.

September2015 likes this.