1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cleansing the parking lot

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

The real challenges in managing the parking lot are security aspects to protect the invaluable parked vehicles, managing incoming and outgoing vehicles, sufficient space for movement of the vehicles, marking prime locations for VIPs and challenged, valet parking space, tow truck to remove sick and unauthorized vehicles, sufficient lighting for better visibility, cleanliness of the parking lot, time management of parked vehicles and space management with signs such as “Closed for parking”.

Optimizing the value of the real estate is the key element in the success of managing the parking lot. When we visit parking facilities, we always notice long-term parking and short-term parking garages are marked separately for the convenience of the drivers. Therefore, drivers are given an option to choose the best place for them to park their vehicles. The vehicles that need short-term space should be accommodated but it commands premium value.

Every night, it is important to know how many vehicles came in, how man vehicles went out, what was the inventory that remained in the premises overnight, which vehicle remained unclaimed for a longer period, which vehicle is considered a security risk to the premises and therefore needs to be removed by a tow truck, proper control of the keys of the valet parked vehicles, sick vehicles requiring assistance, etc. Every day, it is important to know how to manage the real estate with incoming and outgoing vehicles and managing the mission critical VIP, challenged and valet parking spaces.

We have a gift called mind as our real estate and it has unlimited capacity of storing any amount of thoughts that a human being can handle in his/her life time. Thoughts come in and go out all day and we need to learn how to manage them very efficiently. Some of those thoughts might be very important requiring attention while others are concerns that we have requiring attention every day. We might have committed to give our opinion for someone who seeks our assistance on a matter and those commitments are like valet parking space. Once we think through and give our opinion, we can handover the key to the person concerned and remove that thought from our parking lot.

Some of our thoughts might be a risk for our healthy mind and we should not hesitate to seek help from professionals to remove those thoughts forcefully out of our mind. It is important to take an inventory of our thoughts that might be under different categories such as important, urgent, long-term, short-term, sick, etc. All our actions associated with our thoughts should be reviewed every day once before putting them into action and once after the actions were made.

Even though our mind has unlimited installed capacity to store several thoughts simultaneously, we have to realize our analytical mind has the ability to analyze and interpret only a few thoughts every day. We have to realize that we have control over incoming as well as outgoing thoughts at the point of entry and exit respectively. When we analyze the inventory in the premises, we need to definitely know which thoughts are relevant for making our life better, which thoughts make our mind healthier and secured and which thoughts require immediate elimination from the premises through forceful professional action.

It is our real estate and we have a right to allow, keep and remove thoughts at our will. We use the premises for our own development, for providing support to our relatives and friends and for the general well being of the world. It is an inter-dependent world and neither secluding ourselves from the world to be totally independent nor becoming a total dependent on others around us makes sense. More we sync our development with that of others around us and the general welfare of the world, we become successful.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa the balance between independence and slavish dependence is the most difficult one to strike.Total independence can come only at the price of our sanity, We would be clasified as schizoid. Like in everything else in the world we need to find the golden middle path.

1 person likes this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    A beautiful comparison of the vehicular traffic with a voluminous traffic of thoughts that are flowing into our mind continuously.
    But experience shows that the more we try to remove the thoughts, the more they get crowded and it can no way be compared to the traffic discipline.
    Normally when some evil thoughts enter our mind, there is no way to drive them out. Once you fill your mind with love and service , automatically evil thoughts vanish of their own accord.
    Our struggles, experience and some failures , not withstanding sincere efforts indirectly help us drain the unnecessary hoardings. Many psychologists advise for going in a wanton failure and consequent tension which act as curative balm.
    A moderate simple life, with limited wants and service attitude automatically cleanses our mind.
    Our culture and tradition and spirituality have a built in mechanism of automatic traffic control.

A beautiful introspective snippet!
    Jayasala 42

4. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Vishwamitra. However, it is not possible to always control the thoughts. We often remember things we know we need to forget and often forget things that we know we need to remember. Many times i forget where i parked my car and have to often search or replay the earlier actions to find out. We may forgive someone for what they said that hurt us, yet whenever we interact with them, what they said passes our mind like a gale.

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Balajee,

Thank you for your first response and I am in total agreement with you. In the interdependent world, the effective interaction and give and take attitude are key elements. Middle path forms itself if we stay away from the two extremes knows as total dependence and independence.

Viswa

6. Viswamitra

Dear Mrs. Jayasala,

Thank you for your response. The flow of thoughts are never going to stop like vehicles coming and going into the parking lot. Service provides the attitude of selflessness and definitely helps to calm our mind. But evil thoughts gets driven out by the attitude to forget and forgive. Love gives and forgives whereas selfishness gets and forgets.

I agree with you completely that moderation, selfless service and ceiling on desires helps cleansing of our mind a lot.

We change a lot towards a fast changing world but we should keep our discrimination safe through organized thoughts.

Viswa

7. Viswamitra

Dear Akanksha,

Thank you for your response to my post. I agree that it is difficult to control our thoughts but it is not impossible. I practice a simple method to not recall hurtful feelings. I saturate those thoughts in isolation by repeatedly forgiving those actions on my own. I analyze those thoughts into smaller components to keep dropping them one at a time. Generally, it is a sequence of events that brings us to the level of hate and hurtfulness and it is predominantly caused by our own reactions to the actions and not the actions themselves. I don't communicate the act of forgiveness and intention to forget with the person who caused it, but such action of analyzing those actions helps me forget it quickly.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one V'

(Now I understand why we still construct buildings without parking lots) :):):)

9. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa Sir!

You always amaze me with your incredible thought process, maybe that’s coz of well-maintained parking lot :thumbsup

Off topic a bit, My simplest solution to all challenging questions, is automation. People around me go crazy when I drive for scripting and coding even for the simplest task at work.
    When there was a casual talk on my untamed kind of thought process, my team joked about the idea of automating my mind :)))) Their way of taking a dig at me, giving a taste of my own medicine… I chuckled saying, yea start a project ‘automating Neetu’s mind’ :-D…They were like that’s 'mission impossible' and would rather prefer doing my scripting requests instead...
    That bad my mind is Viswa Sir :)))

Jokes apart, automated robotic parking systems are catching on, but just think of automating our minds. Not mine( Tat’s project impossible), the best ones like yours at least?
    What would happen if some entry or codes go wrong? The collision of data/signal processing happening in brains, I’m reminded of Chitti robot (Robot - Thalaivar movie) going crazy :spin. Better we have manual (self)control of our own thought process. The best viable approach :)

I loved your reply for Akanksha, that’s the best way out for people like me..Thanks Viswa Sir.
    As usual a beautiful post, talks only about your beautiful mind Viswa Sir :)

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Viswa sir,

Being a very non technical/mechanical person, I was stunned at the working of the parking lot mechanisms you described. As a user you see all I am interested in is getting in and getting out. Never paused to think about the complexities.

As much as I like to analyze thoughts, compartmentalize them, I have always been the kind of person who works on her reaction ie., more than the thought itself, I often deliberate on why I reacted the way I have and once I have an understanding, I have been able to move on, so far. This understanding has not happened with self analysis alone, but many books, many masters and a lot of quietness has helped me too.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.