Cleaning vagina

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by cheenikum, Jan 16, 2010.

1. cheenikum

cheenikum Junior IL'ite

I have a specific question, I tried looking it up at the search..bu for some reason, it did not load.So my apologies if this question is already asked/ answered, and directing me to the right page/ forum will be appreciated.
    Myself and my husband want to have a baby and we have started the TTC process.After the intercourse/ ejaculation of semen/sperm, I start feeling very sticky in my vagina and cant wait to clean up or wash. But at the same time, it also instills a fear in me that washing vagina immediately after intercourse could prevent pregnancy.I am so confused after trying to look up at the internet..too many answers and none clear to the extent that I want. My final destination- indus ladies and I really hope I get the doubt cleared. With the fear still in my mind, I wait for 5-10 minutes after intercourse and then get up, go to the bathroom and clean- I either wipe the stickiness with paper towels or if its too sticky, I wash with cold water.Am I doing something wrong?Is it ok to clean the vagina with water/ paper towel right after intercourse or should i NOT clean at all? Or should I wait for a couple of minutes as what I am doing now and then clean up?My biggest concern / worry is, by thinking am cleaning up, I should not spoil the chance of getting pregnant and kill a life..I am so distressed and upset day to day. Someone, please enlighten.

1 person likes this.

2. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Thanks for asking this question. I myself wanted to ask this, but had kept it for later;)
    I know that you are supposed to not move for few minutes after IC and put a pillow beneath you to maximize the sperm entry to the vagina. However immeidiately after 15-20 mins of IC. I immediately jump into the shower to clean myself up.

This is just the start of our TTC journey as well, and I am learning gradually..

Please share your opinion, ladies:)

3. aishuanand

aishuanand Bronze IL'ite

even i think dont wash immediately try to stay atleast 30 mins after your IC.

4. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Dear cheenikum

First Relax :)and no distress...

Please lay still for 20-30 mins coz the movement of sperms(if less motile) will take that time to reach ovum and fertilize...I normally get tired and sleep and about and hour later will wake up for a wash

All the best :thumbsup

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  5. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I asked the same question to my dr. She advised me to be on the position for 10 minutes, and slowly turn towards one side (either right or left) as per your convenience and stay for another10 minutes...

1 person likes this.
  6. cheenikum

cheenikum Junior IL'ite

Thanks to each one of you who replied.I cannot tell you how much this information would mean to me.But am not 100% clear yet. I googled a lot yesterday and couldnt make up my mind as to what should I do.
    washing vagina after intercourse affect pregnancy? - Google Search
    The links there all say that washing or douching imm,ediately doesnot prevent pregnancy..now, my question is not on terms of preventing pregnancy..but to makie sure that byb washing or cleaning immediately , I am not spoiling a chance of conceiving.Can someone throw more light on this?

7. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Cheenikum,

Why to waste a single chance in the way of our tries in conceiving. Its always good to wait for few minutes to allow the sperm to go inside. Then you can wash if you feel uncomfortable. Like many, i too will fall asleep after IC. Its your call to decide on this!

Baby dust to you.

1 person likes this.
  8. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

I concieved in 2 months.. The only thing we did diffrently was

1st month.. i clean up in 5 min after we was done
    2nd month .. I wait till morning to clean up after sex during fertile time.. (I concieved this time)

Lay down in bed .. dont move for 5-10 mins.. and DONT GET UP/stand up for atleast 30 mins.. 2nd month I just went to sleep when possible..

9. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

I didnt get up from the bed for atleast 15-20 mins and I kept a pillow under me for the gravity to work its way,but sometimes I used to sleep and get up only in the morning(happened only 2-3 times) and most of the time I slept on my stomach only,but other times I usually wash up after 15-20 mins and the more comforting answer for many who has this doubt is most of the time the semen would flow out within seconds after intercourse,so this got me worrying whether I would get pregnant at all and to my surprise itself,I got pregnant in 3 months.

10. dimple7

dimple7 Gold IL'ite

useful information............