1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning tips

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by meghakapoor, Sep 3, 2005.

1. meghakapoor

meghakapoor New IL'ite

Hi All

I got a non-sticky pan (TAWA) for making chapattis. I daily wash it like other utensils. Only after 3-4 months of use, some thick black layer has deposited over it, may be becuase of making stuffed paranthis on it. Now whenever i make chappatis , a lot of smoke is produced. This layer will go if I use some stone to rub it but I am afraid to use it as its non-stick. In india, we have an ordinary one( not non-stck), so there my mom used to rub it with stone daily and its as new after so many years of use. How to clean this old one? Should i use some stone? I have 1 new one also. So yesterday I tried that one and make first chapatti on it and again something black sticks to it. I tried to remove it with water and detergent but couldn't. Now how to keep this new one clean too. Please share your tips for both.

Regards

2. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Sprinkle soda, soak and wash!

Hi Megha,

You may want to try sprinkling some baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) on the crust that is formed. Soak it for an hour and then wash it with the normal liquid detergent you have.

It helps in cleaning grease/heavy crust without scratching. I have many times used it to soak away baked-on foods from the trays used in ovens.

Good luck!

3. meghakapoor

meghakapoor New IL'ite

Hi Rathi

Thanks for the early response. I will soon try this tip and will let u know the results.

Thanks

4. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

clean tawas...

Dear Megha,

when the tava is still hot, use the ladle and softly scrape the black deposits. It comes away easily. wipe it with a kitchen napkin/paper towel, etc.
    Do it frequently and u can keep ur tavas clean.

Remember to scrape softly when the tava is still hot and while cold or room temp.

5. anita

anita New IL'ite

Hi Megha,

The best way to avoid black sticky surface on non stick tawa is to avoid using oil.Normally,I make rotis without oil and put a drop of ghee on the roti after it is off the tawa.
    If u still want to remove the black,sticky coating,heat the tawa well and with a wooden spatula scrape off the top of the tawa and the sticky caot is gone.
    Hope this tip helps u
    anita

6. madhavishahane12345

madhavishahane12345 New IL'ite

:clap Hi,
    The best way is to hot the tava and then you scrap the deposits by wooden scrapper and wipe it with cloth or tissue paper . You better use the tava seperatly for dosas and other for chapatis and parathas. And make chapati and dont use oil on the tava after removing from the tava you can use ghee for that.

7. sugarloaf_n_spice

sugarloaf_n_spice New IL'ite

Salt and Vinegar

hi all :wave ,

after usage of the non-stick, sprinkle a liberal amount of salt and pour in a teaspoon and a half of white cooking vinegar. rub it evenly across the pan and leave it for 10 - 15 minutes. run your fingers on it after 15 minutes, and you will feel the crust coming off easily. then wash with normal dish washer.

all my love,
    priyadarshani Jai Prakash

8. sleela

sleela New IL'ite

vaccum cleaner

Hi,
    Can anyone suggest as how to clean a vaccum cleaner dust tubes as dust will be accumuated inside?????????

Thanks,
    leela.