1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning electric stove's steel plates

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by SurekhaKrishna, May 24, 2009.

1. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILs,

We need to clean the rust and black stains sticking to the stainless steel plates.I am looking for a good cleaning liquid solution or any method to clear away the rust on the 4 stainless steel plates of electric stove top.We are in a bit hurry of shifting to a new apartment.Before leaving we have to ensure those are sparkling like a new one:)

Can you pls share your suggestions and help me out.

thanks

Last edited: May 24, 2009

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Surekha

you can try heavy duty oven cleaner spray and wipe off the rust and stains...however still they wont look like new....so if you spend around 7 to 10 $ you would get those steel plates in walmart which you can easily replace to avoid any fine or charges from the apt people.

3. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

Hi SurekhaKrishna,

I faced the same situation a month back. It's not easy to clean those steel plates and make them look like new.

We bought a set of new plates from Walmart. They are available in the Kitchen Gadgets aisle. One set with 2 small and 2 big plates was about $17. We needed 3 small and 1 big plate so we had to buy 2 sets. But the big plate did not fit and I had to clean the old one. I did my best with an oven cleaner spray that I got from Dollar Tree.

You need to spray the oven cleaner over the steel plate covering it completely in the foam. Do this outside the home if possible, or in the kitchen sink. Leave it to stand for at least 10 minutes, I would recommend that you leave it for an hour. Then push up your sleeves and scrub! I used a new piece of Scotch Brite to scrub and managed to get out most of the black deposit. My husband also lent a hand when I needed a break. It was hard work for just one steel plate.

I suggest that you replace the plates with new ones. It's really not worth all the effort to scrub all the plates. But if you decide to try scrubbing, wear rubber gloves to protect your hands. Open all the windows in your house before using the oven cleaner. Its fumes are really strong. If you have children in the house, I suggest you don't use this.

I tried soda bicarb/baking soda to clean the steel plates. It didn't work for me.

When we moved to a new apartment, I covered the plates with aluminum foil before I started using the stove.

Good luck!

4. SurekhaKrishna

thank you SriVidya for the reply.Will check it in walmart for new one.

5. SurekhaKrishna

Dear Jyothisri,:hiya
    Your experience would really help us.I am happy to see your detailed post with really helpful suggestions.:thumbsup
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience.
    Now we are thinking to replace plates with new ones.
    I would also make it a point to spread a foil for protection of plates in new apartment.

6. smilylittle

smilylittle New IL'ite

when i moved out from the previous apt i replaced the used steel plates with new plates which i bought from walmart.in this new apt i saved the new plates provided by the apt and i use the old ones from the previous apt so that i dont have to buy new ones again.

7. SriVidya75

smily dear

thats a wonderful idea.....thanks for sharing

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

To clean any kind of hard to remove stain or rust, try barkeeper's friend or bon ami non-abrasive cleaning powder. These are nothing but calcium carbonate and oxalic acid from plant origin. I use it to remove tough stains in my Stainless Steel kitchen utensils like milk burns or remove rust from iron pan. If it doesn't work right away, apply thoroughly and soak it for sometime and scrub it off.

-Uma

9. SriVidya75

Thanks for the tip Uma! any suggestions on where can we find / buy these 2?

10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Surekha, I regularly use "chore boy" scrubbers to clean - works wonderfully without leaving any scratches. Try it in a small corner and see if this is something you want to use - a pack of two scrubbers cost about $3 and is available almost everywhere - my quest for not using chemicals led me to this :) The link is Chore Boy - Better Scrubbing Pads For Every Scrubbing Need

Hope this helps and good luck with your move to the new place!