Class full of male students, feeling a bit weird?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rituja, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Rituja

Rituja New IL'ite

I need some suggestions and help here. My community college offers some free classes for job training. I recently went to an introductory orientation class for one such technical course being offered for free. Now at the orientation I realized that of the 30 odd prospective students present I was the only woman. I felt a little uncomfortable when I realized that probably the class and the course is going to be and all men class.

Although it is not a class that I need to take, but I want to take it up as I wan to get some job skills and though the course is technical(related to computer technology etc.) they do not have any prerequisites.

I do not have any fear of trying to learn technology, and because its free with no credits, there is no obligation. The only thing I was wondering was since all my classmates are mostly men who are working in some related field, and I on other hand H4 lady looking for career skills:hide:

I know its a little silly, but I am actually feeling uncomfortable. Should I talk to the program counselor about it? I have not done any formal classes in US so I am not sure if this is a concern that should matter. Is it a sensible thing to talk about to a counselor?

Also I am a little introvert, so its hard for me to be friendly unless the other person starts a conversation. I am not sure how well I will be able to adjust in an all male class. I am 30, so I guess I should be able to handle this, but years of staying at home has had an effect on my confidence:crazy

Any thoughts on this one? Thanks

2. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear friend,

A 30 year old woman, that too living in US is writing like this, I am wondering. I dont know your actual problem. Why you are taking that into your heart. Be friendly with them. be casual and they will also do the same I am sure. I dont know in US, but if the same situation in india, if only one girl and 30 gents then deffinitely they will try to help you and they will treat you with respect only. But instead if it is the reverse definitely all the girls will giggle, whisper , comment and make fun of the guy atleast within themselves. Go ahead and be smart.

ganges

3. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Rituja,

I have taken lot of courses in Community College some 8 years ago. I too found that some courses the men are more and some of the courses women were more but frankly it didn't even register to me that way. It doesn't matter if you are the only woman in the class. It is not like they will treat you any different. here I found everyone attends the class and go about their way...they don't get overly friendly with anyone and plus you said most of them are already working.

I frankly don't understand the need for talking to a counselor, your main objective is to attend the course thats all...why do you have to bother about others things that have no concern here.

Come on be brave and attend the class. It is really nice to see that while you are on H4 you want to expand your skill sets so nothing else should come between the way. :thumbsup

All the best.

Jaya

4. Rituja

Rituja New IL'ite

Thank you Ganges and Jaya, your positive replies have made me feel so comfortable that I am surprised I was even thinking that its matters. perhaps the sight of all qualified male professionals with whom I might need to compete to get a job if I take up this field was intimidating:rotfl

Thanks a lot for your replies. Yes Jaya I am sure no one gets too friendly or too unfriendly. Thanks!

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I agree with Jaya, don't let that come in the way of your taking the course. So what if all are men? As long as the program deems that you are qualified to take the course that is all that matters. I would not talk to a counselor, just work your way through the course. Good Luck!

6. vennelaaaa

vennelaaaa Bronze IL'ite

Hi Rituja...
    Im glad you decided to attend the class... I am sure you will enjoy it !
    As a part of my course work during MS, I took many courses in which I was the only girl...
    I noticed that, for some reason, the men were extra nice towards me since I was the only girl...

7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Rituja,

Please do not allow this fact of a all-male clas to bother. How does it even matter. Anyway, people do not interact much in the US. so,its just going to be hi-hello types. You may feel a little uncomfortable when you think of how you will attend your first class etc, I would say, do not evwn think of this. Just go and sit in the class and once the class is over, you would walk off!!!
    The classes are open to all,isn't it? so how does it matter if you are on h4 or they are already working. Each of them is there for some reason

Good luck!

Neha s