1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a Sewing Machine - Embroidery / Normal

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by Mallika29, Oct 15, 2007.

1. SukiKumaran

SukiKumaran Senior IL'ite

Sewing Machine Shops in Chennai

Hi Friends,

I am new to Chennai.
    Can u please gv me the details of the sewing machine showrooms in chennai. I'm looking for a little advanced model.

Thanks in advance

2. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

Re: Sewing Machine Shops in Chennai

there are singer machine shops near LIC, Mount rd, chennai. also an usha showroom.

3. ARIES

ARIES Bronze IL'ite

Re: Sewing Machine Shops in Chennai

Hi u get janome sewing machine, in usha show room, its near anand theatre, anna salai and close to mangaldeep show room exactly opposite to the traffice light.

4. makka

makka New IL'ite

hello Mallika,
    If you are new in sewing buy any basic machine of branded name like Janome.Singer toyota which have minimum stitches like straight and zigzag. once you are familiar with basic machine it is eaier to buy any computerized embroidery machine . I have husqvarna viking designer#1 its a best one i am using since last 8 years.
    Thanks
    Maleka.

5. Aachal

Aachal New IL'ite

hi,

I heard good reviews on Singer 4228. Can we do embroidery using it?

6. NisAnjes

NisAnjes New IL'ite

Hi,
    I'm planning to buy one sewing machine. not sure which one. Singer or usha Janome??? I'm only a beginner. They say Janome Allure is good. but what about Singaer 8280 and 4228.
    Which is better?
    :)
    NJ

7. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

hi and
    was that a Usha authorised dealer? I got usha janome fashion stitch [ Rs.v10,000/-] for got the no. of stitches, though 1.5 yrs back. I personally like both usha and singer.

While usha comes with inbuilt stitches, singer comes with attachments. For the same price, u get more no. of decorative stitches in singer . Pls note that decorative stitches are not embroidery stitches. I had theis confusion last year and it was artvani who guided me with a link to Vidu29 's post on machine embroidery tips and tricks. I shall place the link.

The moment u reach the page, u'll fall in luv with vidu29's works. According to her, to do free motion embroidery [ where u use a sewing machine for machine embroidery], a sewing machine with a straight stitch and zigzag stitch would do.

8. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

9. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

hi andal,

and if u wish to do free motion embroidery [ doing embroidery with a sewing machine], then pls see the attachment.

Note: this is for machines bought in USA. [ i believe]. For indian brand sewing machines, there might not be a need to remove presser feet holder.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  10. Anabika

Anabika Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am not whether should I start a separate thread for this. I am planning to buy a sewing machine and like to take basic sewing classes. I live in bay area. Can you please suggest any good classes for learning basic and some advanced sewing methods?

Also, please suggest me on what machine should I buy in order to alter tough materials like jeans, etc.

Thanks
    Anabika