1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing a name for our baby boy.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by lucullan, Oct 13, 2008.

1. lucullan

lucullan New IL'ite

It's tough, to put it mildly. I don't know how come we just can't seem to find a name we both like to the extent to be excited about it.

It all started with finding a perfect name we both like...Abhay. I like the way it sounds, i like the meaning...i liked it big time, until...

well we moved to Hyderabad and suddenly i was surrounded with Telugu speaking people and very often i heard them saying something i thought sounds just like Abhay. So i asked my hubby...wth?!? what are they saying? I keep hearing Abhay!

So, it turns out Telugu word for a son is abay (i don't know how to spell that) so we all of a sudden became bothered by that :spin and decided to drop the name. My hubby said it never occurred to him while we lived in Europe that this close resemblance with Telugu word "son" would bug him. So we have no name now! bonk

In the close selection at the moment are two names...Akash and Adarsh. He likes Akash better, I am inclining towards Adarsh. I have no idea where we will end up. So frustrating. something I always thought would be so simple.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I can only imagine how frustrating your task can be! LOL never thought that nice and pleasant sounding name you selected had a telugu meaning to it.. Both of the names you have short listed are really good ones.. You can never go wrong with it. Or you might try my route.. My dh selected for our son.. since he chants the Vishnu Sahasranamam daily it had to be one of the Lord's names! Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide.

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Abhay is a good name. I guess the Telugu for son is not abhay but ABBAYI. So if you like that name it is ok, in North there would be many Abhays. And the other two names are also very good. What about Aarya? It means SUN.

4. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

I am curious if the child is born or not, else how u know it is a boy!!!!!!!! If he was born, how do you manage to travel from Europe to India without a name and passport!!!!!!!

If u need a name starts with "A".... I suggest ARUSH, ASHISH, ATUL, AVINASH, ASHUTOSH, AJIT, ARUN, AJAY, ADITYA, ANOJ..................... any more you need?????