1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Choice(s)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Afresh, May 7, 2019.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Afresh,

This is a refreshingly different post and it made me think quite a bit. Thank you! You know the funny thing about choice? It is only in retrospect we come to know if a choice was good or bad and like many have said it is only when we see things go differently than we anticipated that we begin to ponder on it. I have made some bad choices but I am not sure if I will go back to change them - if it is people I am always happy to go back and apologize but even then it may not work. So I am beginning to realize that it is not choice as much as acceptance that I need to work on. I am trying to become more kind of "bloom where planted" kind of girl!

On a lighter note, if the choice is about shopping this or that - food, clothes, furniture you name it, I love them all :)

This is an interesting observation for I am like that too but now venture to take a different path where I am not affected a lot, personally.......like a job, size of a home etc.

Most of us are, going about doing our jobs as expected/designated. That has its benefits in many ways. Yet, I have heard many a friend lament that they are classic text book cases and despite following everything, things did not go as they expected.
    and when I struggle with that identity, I console myself often telling myself that "I wish to be a nobody" and what a relief. It paves way for me to observe and appreciate life as it comes along. But I tell you the journey is not easy, enjoyable at times, grueling at others.

I am not sure if I would have made another choice, for that might have been the best choice then but i certainly wish I could have reacted differently. Not that that realization makes me be different now - slightly better, more thoughtful, sleep more on issues etc but then isn't that the dance we all dance?

On a lighter note, choices when it comes to shopping, eating out, traveling etc.....heaven!

Afresh and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

That is me and majority I suppose

Thanks and regards.
    God enrich soil with choicest blessings.

Afresh likes this.
  3. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Thank you Sir!!
    For the reply and the analysis!
    I agree Sir, All's well that ends well and the choices work for whomsoever they are chosen :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

I agree, the attitude, is what i was trying to decode, to undertand how our minds work :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Finally, the destiny Sir! :)
    I agree, there is not much to ruminate, over what has already happened.
    But like you said
    Maybe, that was the purpose of this thought crossing my mind!
    Thanks a lot @Viswamitra Sir

Vaikuntha, Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

:cheer::cheer:.. This is how excited I am to read your response; it just completely resonates with me.
    It's like reading what i was trying to communicate , albeit , in better words :flushed::clap2:
    This is exactly, how i fell!! Ditto and ditto! :)
    Yup! Maybe, I am on the cusp of that shift in mind-mindset ;)
    This thought has crossed many times in my mind, but to be honest, i don't know if I really am able to strip down to 'be a nobody' but yeah ....WIP :relaxed:
    Completely with you :clapclap::p:p
    I do wish to be like you, as i imagine you to be :p

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

That question randomly brings to my mind the prisoners serving life sentences or death rows. Would they have done things differently if they could? Perhaps.

Personally, I don't know what I would do. Maybe I won't change anything. Neither I wish to any day. Our choices aren't independent entities but governed by reasons anytime. Better or bitter, whatever our choices are, we have/had our reasons. And with every choice we make, we indirectly make a decision to accept the consequences as well. Time is linear thankfully. If we were to go back and do things differently every time, it's only more chaos and probably no progress/change in the situations whatsoever. :hmmm: If the reasons were valid/worthy enough in the first place, shouldn't that guarantee our peace of mind? To live on with our choices without remorse or regrets? :grazy:

I don't know if I made any sense there :facepalm: :icon_pc:!

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Paripoorna, Vaikuntha and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

That ofcourse isn't a random thought! .. a la inception :roflmao:I forced you to consider those lives :grin::tongueout:

I don't know if I made any sense there :facepalm: :icon_pc:![/QUOTE]
    You made complete sense to me there!!!
    This is what i also thought, that if choices were made with rational thinking , then as we evolve, we eschew better buddhi for future decisions; but looking back would we really change those that occured earlier.....No
    This is for the like minded folks i think :wink1:
    peace of mind values more than other stuff :)

Thyagarajan and kaniths like this.
  9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Afresh
    We do and that should be on the lines of 'Heads I win, tails you lose'. A friend of mine often tells me that there is a way to monitor our choices to our advantage. Since I have not asked him how, don't ask me to explain.
    There is an interesting episode in Mahabharata. Just before the Kurukshetra War, both Pandavas and Duryodhan went to Lord Krishna to seek his help in the War. Krishna was sleeping. Duryodhan haughtily went and sat near the head of the sleeping Krishna. Pandavas sat at Krishna's feet in humility. When Krishna woke up his eyes first fell on the Pandavas who were standing at his feet. Krishna immediately pledged his support to the Pandavas. The decisions that we take at any given moment may lead us to success or failure. It really doesn't matter. What is more important is to move on without carrying the burden of our failure or the pride of our success. Both are unnecessary in our ongoing battle for success. Duryodhan went on with his battle and died a noble death as a true Kshatriya. He was received in great respect in the Heavens.

10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Whether we pass or fail, there is a way to reconcile everything and say that the failure itself is a success or had we taken a different choice, failure would have been more severe,In tamil we have a saying' falling face down on a muddy field and say boldly that no mud stuck to the moustache'.( kuppura vizhunthaalum meesaiyim mann ottavillai)
    Investment in Real estate may be appreciated as very good choice when we are in forties.But when we become 80, when we are neither able to repair nor sell at a good price,the same choice makes us regret.Even marriages which run smooth for 35 years are in doldrums because of unexpected turn of events.All assets turn into liabilities in a particular period of time, not necessarily financial or monetary.( we see old parents becoming liabilities everywhere.It causes much concern when children with irretrievable muscular disorders ,with no cure, become totally dependent on old parents and siblings therafter.
    The person who has lived a hale and healthy life upto 70, is affected by a serious
    illness ,the body itself becoming a liability and in the above cases choice does not play a role at all. Ultimately everything narrows down to 'total acceptance'.
    jayasala 42

Thyagarajan, Viswamitra and Afresh like this.