Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 1)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Ami, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

yes please

Dear Mrs Chithra,

Yes, please we all would very much like to see the 6 petalled aappam picture. Thanks also for the tip that whole urad should be used for grinding, that I did not know. So thanks to Jaya for asking as well.

At your convenience, will it be possible to post the recipe for badam cake/burfi cut into pieces? I can never get straight pieces.

Also, have soaked for idli based on your suggestion that cooked rice can be used instead of aval.

Thanking you
    best regards
    Vidya

2. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

The best Hanuman Jayanthi!!

Many more thanks to you, Mrs.Chithra. Right from the grinding upto frying, was thinking abt you only(not that means dont think rest of the time!!).

Just now, did neivedhyam to The God and had vada too. It was so tasty, but need some more clarifications to make sure what I did was right or need more perfection.

Here it is, you told to pat the vada thin-like thattai or little thicker than that. So sorry as I forgot totally abt the shape of vadamalai and hence this query.

secondly, while frying in oil at the first time, when I have to remove till the sound completely stops or before that itself as we are going to fry one more time? Throughout frying, have kept the fire in high, is that fine?

thirdly, while refrying say the first batch, again, the sound has to stop completely or when?

Finally, what is the number of vadas we have to put as garlands. Since dont remember, put 21 as you mentioned for ganapathy homam kozukattai.

Thanks so so much for patiently answering to all kinds of our queries.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Jai Hanuman !

Dear Ami,
    It does not matter, if the shape is not perfect round. First time, you can remove when they are cooked on medium fire, not necessary to wait till bubbles stop completely. Second time fry on low fire, 2 batches together till, the bubbles stop completely. This is to ensure crispness. 21 is enough.
    May Lord Hanuman bless you & yours !
    Regards,
    Chithra.

4. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Loads of thanks..

Hi Mrs.Chithra,

Thanks very much for the clarification. I will remember the points and implement the same for next jayanthi.

One of my cousin who has come here with me appreciated the vada taste and also asked me the procedure.

Also, tried mysore masala dosa and it was simply tasty. My cousin who use to try many recipes and she said that it is specifically great. It is all becoz of yr touch and anyways, thanks to you and yr friend who shared it with you. Also, tried kadamba sadham and it was amazingly tasty. Cant believe without any powders, how it is possibly yummy??

When comes to dosa cooking on non stick tava, have a few queries. Do i have to apply oil at the edges on the tava or on the dosa as heard that tava will get spoilt if I apply oil directly, is it?

Also, while pouring the batter, how the flame should be becoz sometimes, it becomes very dry and the batter is coming out alongwith the laddle before even completing. If I apply oil on the tava, then, cant spread the batter. With normal idly batter, it did not happen. What was the mistake possible I could have made? Pls explain the flame settings too for mysore masala dosa as have some batter and want to make it more correctly.

Appreciate yr golden recipes..

Rgds.

5. Chitvish

Hello Ami!

Dear Ami,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Before making the first dosa, wipe with a tissue smeared in oil. The tava should be medium hot only. If it is very hot, the batter will stick to the ladle & you cannot spread. Once you spread, increase the flame & dribble oil inside the outer edge of the dosai. When it becomes brown, simmer & flip. Increase the flame again just for a few secs & simmer.After removing the dosai, every time, wipe the tava with a colth or tissue dipped in water - this is very important. Only for rava dosai, the tava should be really hot, when you pour the batter, so that it will stick to the tava wherever you pour & not start running to the middle & make a thick centre.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Chithra.

6. Lakshmivinoth

Lakshmivinoth Senior IL'ite

Tried 2 of your recipes

Dear Chithra

I tried your Mysore Rasam and Navathan Parupusli today. It came out just excellent. I was all at praise...

I just made one variation in Mysore Rasam. I didn't pressure cook the Rasam Mix. Instead I cooked by adding one by one - Tomatoes, Tamarind paste, Rasam powder, Dhal and then finished with garnishing. Yet...It was simply superb.

I am trying your recipes one by one. Will keep you posted.

Chithra....Wishing you and your family a Very Very Happy and a prosperous new year!!!

Regards

Lakshmi

7. Chitvish

Hello Lakshmi!

Dear Lakshmi,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Try with the one whistle method without prejudice ! It saves time & the flavour is very good.
    Hope to hear about the new arrival in your family in February !
    Best wishes for a happy New Year,
    Chithra.

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Thank you

Dear Mrs Chithra,

As 2005is ticking out and we all are waiting for 2006 to trot in, here is one BIG THANK YOU from me. Meeting you online has been one of the best things of 2005 and years to come. In the last four months, that I have known you, my cooking and my attitudes have changed. You may find it plausible to accept that my cooking has changed vastly for the better, but maybe wonder abt how attitudes could have changed.

In my opinion, you are actually teaching your wards at IL three things.

First, you are giving us good recipes on an interactive basis, answering our questions, suggesting substitutes etc. No recipe book or TV show, can tell us instantly how to adjust the flame when pouring the rava dosai batter, as you do.

Secondly, you are keeping us, especially the South Indian cookery enthusiasts, more rooted, more linked to our traditional cooking. Whoever heard of mochai rasam and paraiannam before you put them on this forum. To our generation and our children, this is a vital reawakening, a rekindling of good old golden tastes.

Third and more important,you are teaching us the joy of sharing unconditionally. It is one thing to have a good collection of good recipes and putting them in a recipe book for sale. It takes a totally different heart to put themonline, no strings attached. I know many women who will not share recipes, who will leave out one vital ingredient in sharing the recipe. In such a world, you are a long whiff of fresh air.

May I request you to soon publish a collection of your golden recipes in a recipe book so that we can gift them to our dear ones and ensure your copyright.

There can be none other like you. Thank you for all you have taught us so far and here is looking forward to learing more in the years to come, by God's Grace.

Happy New Year!

cheers!
    Vidya

9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra Madam

That was a very touching post from Vidya and I agree with her totally.Your touch has really changed this forum and it is nice to get to know so many new recipes .As Vidya said,not many people will willingly share their recipes to such an extent.Thanks so much.

P.S.: I saw your idli molagapodi recipe and I was really thrilled to know that your first recipe is exactly the same that I have been following all this time.It is I think the best idli podi recipe.

Wish you a happy and prosperous new year.

Cheers

10. Jaya

Jaya New IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

Though I cannot express myself as nicely as Vidya in words, I completely agree with her that many people don't give their receipes, you are really exceptional. I also agree with her, that I did not know many of our traditional receipes and the useful tips before meeting you and now I am happy to learn them all from you :p

I join Vidya and Sunitha in appreciating all your sincere efforts that you put in for all of us.:clap

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.